Infinity Ward Not Borrowing Ideas from Treyarch for Modern Warfare 3

ImprovizoR

Dec 6, 2009
At least Infinity Ward has brain. I seriously doubt MW3 will be worth my money since I'm a PC gamer and they seem to not give a fuck about PC. But IW knows how to make a good game. Sure they made MW2 and it was godawful, but they also made Call of Duty 4. And Call of Duty 4 was awesome. So there is still some hope left for CoD.

Gaderael

Apr 14, 2009
Logan Westbrook said:
-snip-

Bowling said that studios having very different takes on Call of Duty meant that Treyarch and Infinity Ward wasn't "cannibalizing" each other's work, and gamers weren't getting the same gave every year.*

-snip-
So, was he able to say that with a straight face ?

*emphasis mine

JourneyThroughHell

Sep 21, 2009
But, wait. It's totally the same every year. There's clearly no difference between IW CoD games and Treyarch CoD games.

This comment section is seriously amazing and totally not full of random bullshit spewing.

OT: Good. The fact that MW2 didn't borrow stuff from WaW seemed to work out pretty well for it. IW still has the edge in network coding, optimization and whatnot.

duchaked

Dec 25, 2008
lol you know they could let some folk from the other developers working on MW3 to speak out
we know what happened to Infinity Ward, no need to try to fool us :p

LilGherkin

Aug 15, 2008
I solemnly swear to never buy a CoD game that is produced by Treyarch, I will however shell out for the Infinity Ward games. I believe that they are better overall than their counterpart.

cornmancer

Dec 7, 2009
But playing Zombies at 3 AM with a bunch of friends on LAN is the only fun I can extract from that shitty game. Well I still have Left 4 Dead, which is coincidentally much better than Nazi Zombies.

freakonaleash

Wheat field gazer
Jan 3, 2009
You aren't getting the same game every year? Many would argue that you ARE getting the same game every year...

Slayer_2

Jul 28, 2008
Black Ops was crap, it managed to make even MW2's story look sensible, the multiplayer is extremely boring, and although this is a minor thing, the graphics look like my video card took a dump all over the game. It's only redeeming feature is zombies. The CoD series lost it's touch with WaW, in my books. And even WaW was only saved by the great SP/Co-op, the multiplayer was such a clone of CoD4, I couldn't get into it for long.

Now this guy is coming up with his "we don't want to copy Treyarch" BS. First off, they copied you in every way. Second off, you guys are lazy twats that don't learn. New features? Why? The average Xbox gamer will shell out $80 for our game on launch day, even if it is a 100-minute long game where you fly around the world with magical US marines saving the world from evil Russians and NUKES. As long as it has the same old multiplayer with noob-tubing galore, the Xbox gamers will be happy. And face it, they're at LEAST 80% of the market for this game, and easy majority. They'll buy anything with "Call of Duty" or "Halo" written on the box.

Don't get me wrong, I loved CoD4 and WaW, they were masterpieces, the perfect balance between an interesting and gripping, yet plausible story, and fun, simple gameplay. CoD 1 and 2 were fun as well. But these new games have me shaking my head.

Treblaine

Jul 25, 2008
Logan Westbrook said:
Of course, not everything that Treyarch has done for - or to - the Call of Duty brand has been positive: Black Ops received a great deal of criticism for multiplayer problems on the PC and PS3.
At least Black Ops on PC had dedicated servers.

Sorry, that simple little thing made Black Ops SOOOOO much better than Modern Warfare 2.

In fact I've heard no bitching about the PC version of Black ops, and after playing over 127 hours I haven't seen any significant problems that haven't been around since Cod4 era.

In fact Treyarch as done a lot of good for CoD online:
-got rid of the basically mandatory perk: Stopping power
-integrated game playback feature
-brought back CoD4 favourites (Skorpion, M60)
-no weapon glitches (MW2 had loads of weapon glitches like PERMANENTLY misaligned sights or non-functional suppressors)
-No commando-lunge
-less overpowered killstreaks
-no more killstreak chaining
-more interesting setting of Cold War era than generic modern-combat era

If Infinity Ward refuse to recognise this and go back to Modern Warfare 2's bullshit then I really won't bother.

I bought Black Ops to show solidarity and appreciation for a big publisher realising that Multiplayer on PC deserves Dedicated Servers. But if Infinity Ward decides MW3 doesn't need Dedicated Servers... well fuck that. The game ain't worth more than $20 to me then, I'd buy it a year later on sale... maybe.

Paragon Fury

The Loud Shadow
Jan 23, 2009
So you're basically going ignore anything Treyarch did better than you; like not letting Killstreaks count towards other Killstreaks, Shotguns as primaries etc. because you don't want to learn anything.

You idiots.

yourbeliefs

Bored at Work
Jan 30, 2009
Great.. does this mean we get to deal with the annoying fucking grind-quests that MW2 had for experience and thus perks that didn't absolutely blow donkey balls? If there's one thing BO got right it was the use of separate currency to buy your perks. BO was much more noob friendly for me since I got to buy stuff early on that could help, as opposed to MW2's shit of giving me extremely shitty perks while everyone else had all the good ones. I can only watch myself die so many times before I say, "Fuck this."

Treblaine

Jul 25, 2008
LilGherkin said:
I solemnly swear to never buy a CoD game that is produced by Treyarch.
Why?

After MW2's bullshit storyline, Dedicated Server betrayal, the blatantly exploitative No Russian level and just how god-damn unbalanced MW2's multiplayer was would you not value infinity Ward even lower? Especially with all the key talent leaving (west/Zampella). Or do you? Your omission is poignant.

Sure, COD3 was awful - in every way - but WaW had a good story and Black ops multiplayer they fixed a lot of the long-standing bullshit.

COD4 generally hasn't been good since COD4 and hasn't even been tolerable since World at War but I'd say all things considered Treyarch is now the lesser evil.

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
Unspinning their Statement:

"Activision: We're not going to remake the same game for the fourth time in a row, really! So just push the damn button, take your damn pellet and stop asking questions!"

Sucal

Dragonborn Ponyeater
Dec 23, 2009
Arontala said:
Sucal said:
And in other news, Last man standing has become a standard ability. The knife is still far too week, so they are going to triple the damage. Oh and every level will be like the Russian level, in order to capitalise on even more free publicity.

Still, at least this means I wont need to listen to people constantly begging me to buy fish, just to shoot zombies.
So it kills you three times over with one hit? That's somewhat redundant...

OT: Thinking about it, I've always like Infinity Ward better than Treyarch in terms of their ideas of what gameplay should be like.

It kills you. Then kills you once again when you spawn. Then a final time, just to ensure you get the point.

LilGherkin

Aug 15, 2008
Treblaine said:
Why?

After MW2's bullshit storyline, Dedicated Server betrayal, the blatantly exploitative No Russian level and just how god-damn unbalanced MW2's multiplayer was would you not value infinity Ward even lower? Especially with all the key talent leaving (west/Zampella). Or do you? Your omission is poignant.

Sure, COD3 was awful - in every way - but WaW had a good story and Black ops multiplayer they fixed a lot of the long-standing bullshit.

COD4 generally hasn't been good since COD4 and hasn't even been tolerable since World at War but I'd say all things considered Treyarch is now the lesser evil.
Because I liked the game that Infinity Ward produced more than Treyarch's CoD: Black Ops and CoD: World at War. I thought the Multiplayer was fairly balanced in Modern Warfare 2, and that the story was better than I had expected out of a First Person Shooter. I generally had more fun playing through Modern Warfare 2 than I did playing through Black Ops, and also World at War. Although I'm not sure what the "Dedicated Server betrayal" was/is, I have a feeling that it has to do with PC gaming and therefor I feel that I should state that I am a console gamer.