Infinity Ward Pokes Fun at Bobby Kotick

Keane Ng

Sep 11, 2008
Infinity Ward Pokes Fun at Bobby Kotick

Infinity Ward apparently does not fear the wrath of their supreme overlord Bobby Kotick, because the company subtly poked a little fun at the Activision CEO at a recent Modern Warfare 2 event.

There are some brave souls at Infinity Ward, I have to admit. If they're willing to rib Bobby Kotick - even in the most barely noticeable and super-subtle way - they've got to have some hearts of iron.

You might remember earlier this week when Mr. Kotick decided to make himself even more transparently hate-able by saying some pretty crazy stuff [http://www.gamespot.com/ps3/action/modernwarfare2/news.html?sid=6226758&om_act=convert&om_clk=newsfeatures&tag=newsfeatures;title;2] during a presentation at the Deutsche Bank Securities Technology Conference. He made clear that he has designed his company to treat employees so that it "really rewards profit and nothing else," which okay, dude's running a business, so that's not surprising. But then Kotick said some somewhat creepy stuff, describing how he maintains a company culture that is grounded in feelings of "skepticism, pessimism and fear."

Kotick thinks that's appropriate considering our current economic condition, but what ever happened to a happy worker is a good worker?

I'm guessing the folks at Inifnity Ward (otherwise known as I-Dub) are happy enough, because they don't seem to be skeptical, pessimistic or fearful, certainly not of Kotick. During a presentation at a Modern Warfare 2 multiplayer press event, community manager Robert Bowling showed off the game's custom class selection menu, which included three classes he possibly created named Skepticism, Pessimism and Fear.

Fear, apparently, carries an M4A1, a rocket launcher, two flash grenades, Tactical Insertion and Perks for increased melee distance, easier Killstreaks and "full resupply from dead enemies."

Do you see this, Bobby Kotick? These people are not afraid. At least until you give them a personal phone call and scare the living bejeezus out of them, they are not afraid.

[Via Joystiq [http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=17624605&postcount=3502]]

More Fun To Compute

Nov 18, 2008
They hid the message in a game which is one place that Kotick would never look as he has no interest in games at all. They are safe.

Sparrow

Feb 22, 2009
Ingenious.

Kotick doesn't like games, hence he won't notice! Smart lads.

Keane Ng

Sep 11, 2008
More Fun To Compute said:
They hid the message in a game which is one place that Kotick would never look as he has no interest in games at all. They are safe.
That actually makes sense. Those guys at I-Dub, so clever.

ae86gamer

Mar 10, 2009
Exactly what I was thinking. They won't get caught. Kotick only cares about money, he could care less about the actual game or its content.

Dyp100

Jul 14, 2009
Wow, talk about balls, but I guess they can't be touched, they could ***** slap Bobby out of places he doesn't look and still get away with it.

There the Golden Boys with Blizzard, they can't be dropped at all, think of all that beautiful green they'd be missing out on.

Joa_Belgium

Aug 29, 2009
ae86gamer said:
Exactly what I was thinking. They won't get caught. Kotick only cares about money, he could care less about the actual game or its content.
Those guys are simply geniuses. Not only do they hold the most powerful franchise of Activision, but they also mock at Kotick as if he's just another big company CEO who fills his pockets and survives on take-aways. Oh, wait ...

Spirultima

Jul 25, 2008
Well at least the names are better then "Custom 1".

Also, i like the idea of the new perks, and i bet Treyarch are as well, as they are working on the WWII mod of Modern Warfare 2.

Deviluk

Jul 1, 2009
I dont know why this guy is such a dick. You can care for games, and make profit, just look at Blizzard, or any of the first-party devs.

Although I did read about Starcraft II and the Blizz guys seemed to think that its too good to be given to us mere mortals who may not appreciate it fully. "You're not allowed to change the camera angle! We made it to look like this!"

Sep 13, 2009
Amnestic said:
Slycne said:
Doktor Merkwurdigliebe said:
Keane Ng said:
Perks for increased melee distance
Long handed mutants? Spear instead of knife?
Might just be a bayonet.
Clearly it's shuriken. If they're having dual wielding desert eagles, why not have ninja-wannabes?
Bayonet-spear, or dual wield spears, or rocket launcher full of shurikens and spears and I'll buy this game.
Anyway my bet-on-Duke sense just kicked in after reading about these dual wield desert eagles. I'll buy it anyway.

microhive

Mar 27, 2009
Deviluk said:
I dont know why this guy is such a dick. You can care for games, and make profit, just look at Blizzard, or any of the first-party devs.

Although I did read about Starcraft II and the Blizz guys seemed to think that its too good to be given to us mere mortals who may not appreciate it fully. "You're not allowed to change the camera angle! We made it to look like this!"
That is because it'll ruin competitive gaming. If you want to zoom out play custom maps which allow it.

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
I suppose when you're responsible for one of the three products that keeps Koprick in new suits you can afford to be cheeky.

Random thought, back in the day Atari's game studio worked on ruthless principals of keeping it's developers constantly over worked and giving them as little credit and pay as possible, whilst leaving their jobs under constant threat. They churned out masses of crap at an enormous rate and were the biggest publisher in gaming. Then some of their higher up developers decided they'd had enough of constantly living in fear of abuse from the bosses so they quit.
After they'd quit they formed an independent studio with the intention of giving everyone including the customers a fair deal, they called themselves Activision. Funny how things change.