Infinity Ward Pokes Fun at Bobby Kotick

Amnestic

High Priest of Haruhi
Aug 22, 2008
Donnyp said:
who exactly is Kotic? i've seen people talk about him but have no clue to who he is.
Robert "Bobby" Kotick is CEO of Activision Blizzard and an incarnation of Satan.

Mcface

Aug 30, 2009
"full resupply on dead enemies"

hopefully this is a joke.
if not, this game is already dumb.

NezumiiroKitsune

Mar 29, 2008
Deviluk said:
I dont know why this guy is such a dick. You can care for games, and make profit, just look at Blizzard, or any of the first-party devs.

Although I did read about Starcraft II and the Blizz guys seemed to think that its too good to be given to us mere mortals who may not appreciate it fully. "You're not allowed to change the camera angle! We made it to look like this!"
Blizzard is a subsidery of ActivisionBlizzard which Kotick is the CEO of.

Amnestic

High Priest of Haruhi
Aug 22, 2008
NezumiiroKitsune said:
Deviluk said:
I dont know why this guy is such a dick. You can care for games, and make profit, just look at Blizzard, or any of the first-party devs.

Although I did read about Starcraft II and the Blizz guys seemed to think that its too good to be given to us mere mortals who may not appreciate it fully. "You're not allowed to change the camera angle! We made it to look like this!"
Pretty sure Blizzard has free reign over everything that goes on within their offices though. Fairly certain someone (Funk?) mentioned that in a previous thread mentioning Kotick/ActiBlizz/Blizzard.

bjj hero

Feb 4, 2009
Kiutu said:
bjj hero said:
Anyone else drooling at the perk description?
Drooling in hopes they will remove perks and make the game balanced again?
No chance. Also they are balanced if everyone has access to them. The only perk you see on all of the time is claymores and that is more of a weapon pick.

Amnestic

High Priest of Haruhi
Aug 22, 2008
bjj hero said:
Kiutu said:
bjj hero said:
Anyone else drooling at the perk description?
Drooling in hopes they will remove perks and make the game balanced again?
No chance. Also they are balanced if everyone has access to them. The only perk you see on all of the time is claymores and that is more of a weapon pick.
...which gets ruined if they impliment a similar Rank Up system like they had in MW1 and which was used by Treyarch in WaW.

You know, where you don't start off with every perk/weapon already.

Meaning that imbalanced perks do bugger up the game for those who are rank 1 against those who are rank 55.

Dunno if they are keeping the rank system for MW2 but honestly I don't see them getting rid of it.

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Amnestic said:
NezumiiroKitsune said:
Deviluk said:

Pretty sure Blizzard has free reign over everything that goes on within their offices though. Fairly certain someone (Funk?) mentioned that in a previous thread mentioning Kotick/ActiBlizz/Blizzard.
It's kind of complicated, as I understand it.

Blizzard is owned by Vivendi. Vivendi and Activision merged, with Vivendi as the majority shareholder, and former Activision boss Bobby Kotick at the helm. So technically, it was Vivendi acquiring Activision and not the other way around. Blizzard is a bit of a special case, as Vivendi largely left them to do their own thing - for one thing, they're completely self-published. Look at WotLK, and the ActiBlizz logo isn't anywhere on there, it's all them.

As far as I can tell, Blizzard is still largely autonomous, if only because Vivendi had the sense to leave them alone and let them do their own thing and Vivendi is still technically in charge. Activision, meanwhile, got to start calling themselves Activision Blizzard.

Either way, it's a complex situation, and I'm not 100% confident on this, but I'm fairly sure it's how everything went down.

BaldursBananaSoap

May 20, 2009
Those perks sound even more cheap and unbalancing than Modern Warfare. Oh how I miss when COD wasn't full of little kids and you couldn't get kills by grenade spamming over buildings, noob tubing across the map, using cheap perks and all that ghastly crap. The game doesn't even look any different, and it's being charged at over full fucking price.

I still play Counterstrike, and I'd rather play Counterstrike. Counterstrike will always be remembered, people forget about COD as soon as the next reskinned, outdated generic pile of shit made for the masses gets released.

Oh well, at least that class name was funny.

Keane Ng

Sep 11, 2008
CantFaketheFunk said:
Amnestic said:
NezumiiroKitsune said:
Deviluk said:

Blizzard is owned by Vivendi. Vivendi and Activision merged, with Vivendi as the majority shareholder, and former Activision boss Bobby Kotick at the helm. So technically, it was Vivendi acquiring Activision and not the other way around. Blizzard is a bit of a special case, as Vivendi largely left them to do their own thing - for one thing, they're completely self-published. Look at WotLK, and the ActiBlizz logo isn't anywhere on there, it's all them.

As far as I can tell, Blizzard is still largely autonomous, if only because Vivendi had the sense to leave them alone and let them do their own thing and Vivendi is still technically in charge. Activision, meanwhile, got to start calling themselves Activision Blizzard.

Either way, it's a complex situation, and I'm not 100% confident on this, but I'm fairly sure it's how everything went down.
I'm pretty sure that's how it worked/works.

Regardless, has there been any legitimately convincing evidence that the merger has changed the way Blizzard makes its games?

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Keane Ng said:
CantFaketheFunk said:
Amnestic said:
NezumiiroKitsune said:
Deviluk said:

I'm pretty sure that's how it worked/works.

Regardless, has there been any legitimately convincing evidence that the merger has changed the way Blizzard makes its games?
Not that I've seen. If Activision were behind things, they'd probably be shooting for less than a decade between sequels (as with SC2 and probably Diablo 3).

Also, fascinating read [http://www.gamasutra.com/view/feature/4139/the_road_to_diablo_iii.php] here.

bjj hero

Feb 4, 2009
Amnestic said:
...which gets ruined if they impliment a similar Rank Up system like they had in MW1 and which was used by Treyarch in WaW.

You know, where you don't start off with every perk/weapon already.

Meaning that imbalanced perks do bugger up the game for those who are rank 1 against those who are rank 55.

Dunno if they are keeping the rank system for MW2 but honestly I don't see them getting rid of it.
There is no chance they will dump the leveling. Look at how many people prestige over and over. It's a real draw for some people.

It's a pain in the arse at low level but at least they give you a good selection of weapons to start. I't picks up quick. I was happy as soon as I got UAV jammer.

The Sorrow

Jan 27, 2008
Good on ya, boys. Looks like my personal boycott of Activision will be lifted for you guys.

Anyway, am I the only one getting this vibe?

I-Dub: http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_ZHMr55ZN0Y0/R0LVf_8_J6I/AAAAAAAAAAo/89LOGc2Hwdw/S220/spider_jerusalem.jpg

Kotick: http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_f3SZ5Tu916o/SKB5kQFu8mI/AAAAAAAAHVc/5-gahGjPnic/s400/14smiler01_250pw_q0.JPG

oshin

Apr 25, 2008
The whole fear/scepticism/pessimism for workers sounds like a pile of shite to me anyway, I know that Blizzard gms dont have it too bad at least from talking to some of them. They also get a games room for break times etc. On the other hand I`m luck if I get a break time !

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
He's an arse hole. I'm liking Infinity Ward though - they seem to remember they're making games, not selling shitty night vision goggles and plastic figures.

And why are IW called I-Dub?

hansari

May 31, 2009
Keane Ng said:
More Fun To Compute said:
They hid the message in a game which is one place that Kotick would never look as he has no interest in games at all. They are safe.
That actually makes sense. Those guys at I-Dub, so clever.
Gah! Kotick is making so much money off of CoD. And yet he's probably the only person at Activision who would turn around and say "Huh, who's Captain Price?...How much are we paying this guy?"