Infinity Ward Teases Modding Tools for PC Modern Warfare 2

cainx10a

May 17, 2008
-cough- Who knows, maybe they need to borrow more of the modding community innovative ideas for modern warfare 3 -cough-

Doug

Apr 23, 2008
Amnestic said:
Lord_Panzer said:
CantFaketheFunk said:
If they'd balanced a game with lean...
Obligatory:
*imagesnip*

That aside, until they bring in official dedicated servers, they still aren't getting my money.

How would mod tools work without dedicated servers anyway?
Awesome pictures, and an interesting point; how, exactly, could that work?
cainx10a said:
-cough- Who knows, maybe they need to borrow more of the modding community innovative ideas for modern warfare 3 -cough-
I heard alittle about that - what mods did they steal from.... sorry, "get inspiration from"

Amnestic

High Priest of Haruhi
Aug 22, 2008
Doug said:
Amnestic said:
Lord_Panzer said:
CantFaketheFunk said:
If they'd balanced a game with lean...
Obligatory:
*imagesnip*

That aside, until they bring in official dedicated servers, they still aren't getting my money.

How would mod tools work without dedicated servers anyway?
Awesome pictures, and an interesting point; how, exactly, could that work?
cainx10a said:
I heard alittle about that - what mods did they steal from.... sorry, "get inspiration from"
Well there is this little doozy [http://www.codboards.com/showthread.php?t=31565], then this one [http://uk.gamespot.com/pages/forums/show_msgs.php?topic_id=27097243] as well.

hansari

May 31, 2009
CantFaketheFunk said:
If they'd balanced a game with lean from the beginning and then took it out, you'd have a point, but they never intended it to be in the game in the first place.
CoD did have lean (on the pc). You can check up on it in...well any CoD game prior to MW1.

Now if you, like the developers, insist on Modern Warfare to be separate franchise all its own (regardless of Highlander Price), then you could say the series never had lean.

But under the same logic, no one should be complaining about a lack of dedicated servers...cause it never had them in the first place ;)

Edit* Apparently you can lean in CoD 4...

L33tsauce_Marty

Jun 26, 2008
CantFaketheFunk said:
hansari said:
CantFaketheFunk said:
the most inconsequential complaint of all time, the removal of the ability to lean around corners).
Seriously?

You must not play a lot of FPS online if you don't get the importance of leaning. You can live without it, but there is a difference between barely being seen around the corner/shooting a guy then withdrawing like its whack-a-mole .vs. strafing to the side exposing more of your body.
~
As for mod tools...well lets wait for them to come out first...
Uh, I'm sure that it's a fine feature, but that's like complaining that the game doesn't have rocket-jumping (which is also a fine feature). If a game isn't developed around a certain ability, it's not developed around a certain ability. If they'd balanced a game with lean from the beginning and then took it out, you'd have a point, but they never intended it to be in the game in the first place.

Is TF2 bad because it doesn't have lean? Of course not, because it wasn't ever intended to have it.
COD4 had leaning and I use it all the time. I don't see why they removed it, it worked.

Red Albatross

Jun 11, 2009
Xanadu84 said:
Id forgive them.

Come on, we need to encourage developers to experiment. IW thought that Mods were unnecessary, and that they could make a matchmaking service that would replace dedicated servers. Both thoughts were dismal, dismal failures, which they probably should have realized, seeing how it's not like no one told them. However, far more important then screwing up is the capacity to recognize a mistake and correcting it. Also, if PC Gamers forgive IW when they correct there mistakes, then they will be encouraged to support PC gaming as much as possible. If we give the proverbial, "F you, too little too late", well...they really have no reason to fix there mistakes and improve, do they? If you want IW to act like part of a dynamic community, which we do, we have to be able to forgive and forget when they make mistakes but fix them. If we want them to act like cold and distant corporate entities disconnected from there consumers, then we will keep getting shafted, and they won't notice the drop in revenue while there rolling in their money beds. I suggest that if IW adds mod support and dedicated, everyone who was complaining about IW screwing us over seriously consider taking out your wallets and purchasing the game which you wanted, now with the features you wanted.
Gonna have to go with this post right here.

Yes, IW was a little dismissive and more than a little stupid about the way they acted towards PC gamers, who still turned out in droves to buy their game. I agree with how the community reacted, telling them in no uncertain terms how it felt about essentially getting a direct and crappy port from the consoles.

But, Xanadu is spot on about forgiveness. If they're willing to show repentance and correct their mistakes, grudgingly or not, I think we owe it to them to show approval of actions like that, just as we showed disapproval before. Being an avid PC gamer myself and mostly shunning consoles, I've lately been worried about the future of PC gaming. Flaming developers for making mistakes, and continuing to hate them even if they fix them, is not going to mean good things for PC gaming in the future.

Doug

Apr 23, 2008
traukanshaku said:
Xanadu84 said:
Id forgive them.

Come on, we need to encourage developers to experiment. IW thought that Mods were unnecessary, and that they could make a matchmaking service that would replace dedicated servers. Both thoughts were dismal, dismal failures, which they probably should have realized, seeing how it's not like no one told them. However, far more important then screwing up is the capacity to recognize a mistake and correcting it. Also, if PC Gamers forgive IW when they correct there mistakes, then they will be encouraged to support PC gaming as much as possible. If we give the proverbial, "F you, too little too late", well...they really have no reason to fix there mistakes and improve, do they? If you want IW to act like part of a dynamic community, which we do, we have to be able to forgive and forget when they make mistakes but fix them. If we want them to act like cold and distant corporate entities disconnected from there consumers, then we will keep getting shafted, and they won't notice the drop in revenue while there rolling in their money beds. I suggest that if IW adds mod support and dedicated, everyone who was complaining about IW screwing us over seriously consider taking out your wallets and purchasing the game which you wanted, now with the features you wanted.

Yes, IW was a little dismissive and more than a little stupid about the way they acted towards PC gamers, who still turned out in droves to buy their game. I agree with how the community reacted, telling them in no uncertain terms how it felt about essentially getting a direct and crappy port from the consoles.

But, Xanadu is spot on about forgiveness. If they're willing to show repentance and correct their mistakes, grudgingly or not, I think we owe it to them to show approval of actions like that, just as we showed disapproval before. Being an avid PC gamer myself and mostly shunning consoles, I've lately been worried about the future of PC gaming. Flaming developers for making mistakes, and continuing to hate them even if they fix them, is not going to mean good things for PC gaming in the future.
Firstly, "alittle" dismissive?

Secondly, this isn't confirmed AT ALL. And even if it was, dedicated servers are still missing.

uppitycracker

Oct 9, 2008
At this point, they could release dedicated server support, and I still wouldn't spend my money on this game. Not only because the damage is already done, they've turned their back on the same gamers that supported them through all the years, but after seeing what they've done with multiplayer, I'm over it. Bring on the next big name in FPS gaming, I'm ready for it. Until then, TF2 will just have to continue to highly amuse and entertain me.

Gildan Bladeborn

Aug 11, 2009
Even supposing this is a real thing they are doing and will be actual mod tools instead of something calling itself that ala Halo, at this point I will be greatly surprised if they don't try to charge for those mod tools.

Treblaine

Jul 25, 2008
CantFaketheFunk said:
a curious stink over the most inconsequential complaint of all time, the removal of the ability to lean around corners).
Are you even a PC gamer? If not why are you doing all these stories on PC gaming if you are not?

I know you are a PC gamer and have done many good articles but why do you so often fail to see from the perspective of the MILLIONS of COD4 fans who played on PC and loved it? Loved it for features that you seem all too blase about being removed while IW have given extremely inadequate reasoning for their decisions.

How can you call "lean" an inconsequential feature when I use it and see it used ALL THE TIME when I play COD4 online. I mean it is vital for windows where you obviously cannot step out of without falling. On veteran mode single player it is often the only way to stay alive with so many badguys who seem to posess superhuman accuracy.

Every single Call of Duty game has had lean since COD1 back in 2003 and it's exclusion from consoles is understandable since there aren't enough buttons (keyboard FTW) but to exclude it from PC is just being petty (on IW's part), not adding a feature that would have been so useful and so easy to implement.

Edited: for asshatery

Treblaine

Jul 25, 2008
Doug said:
traukanshaku said:
Xanadu84 said:
Id forgive them.

Secondly, this isn't confirmed AT ALL. And even if it was, dedicated servers are still missing.
but with mods, couldn't third party servers then be supported?

I don't know how deep into the code some mods can go.

Red Albatross

Jun 11, 2009
Doug said:

Well, keep in mind it's a big if. If they don't repent, we don't forgive them, simple as that.

Pingieking

Sep 19, 2009
I'd say it's too late. And if it's coming as a DLC, then it's too little as well.
Here comes IW fishing out ideas and maps for MW3. I can't believe that they actually plaigerised maps from the modding community. I know that the maps were not legally published by modders, so IW is well within its rights to use it, but they could have at least gave an acknoledgement to the original creators of the map. It would cost them no money and make them a lot more friends.

Doug

Apr 23, 2008
Treblaine said:
Doug said:
traukanshaku said:
Xanadu84 said:
Id forgive them.

but with mods, couldn't third party servers then be supported?

I don't know how deep into the code some mods can go.
It depends on how much access to the code is given. Basically, I really strongly doubt it, especially as IW have been VERY clear that they don't like piracy and IWNet was supposed to stop piracy, so I doubt they'll let modder's remove that code.

"Never mind the customers who actually pay for it, we need to focus all our effort on people who don't give us any money at all!"

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Treblaine said:
CantFaketheFunk said:
a curious stink over the most inconsequential complaint of all time, the removal of the ability to lean around corners).
Are you even a PC gamer? If not why are you doing all these stories on PC gaming if you are not?

How can you call "lean" an inconsequential feature when I use it and see it used ALL THE TIME when I play COD4 online. I mean it is vital for windows where you obviously cannot step out of without falling. On veteran mode single player it is often the only way to stay alive with so many badguys who seem to posess superhuman accuracy.

Every single Call of Duty game has had lean since COD1 back in 2003 and it's exclusion from consoles is understandable since there aren't enough buttons (keyboard FTW) but to exclude it from PC is just being petty, not adding a feature that would have been so useful and so easy to implement.
I'm certainly a PC gamer.

I just think it's an incredibly stupid argument, because they weren't designing a game with lean. Maybe they looked at it in the previous games and said, "hey, this was too overpowered and gave the game a higher balance curve, we should get rid of it." They took grenades out of Team Fortress when they went from TFC to TF2. They took the Boot powerup out of Super Mario when they went from SMB3 to SMW.

They were making a different game, and deriding it for not having Extraneous Tactic X just seems so staggeringly silly. Man, I think MW2 is a shitty game because it doesn't have a stealth powerup. Even Quake had a stealth powerup! MW2 is also crappy because it doesn't have the Browning machine gun that was in the World War 2 COD games!

Actually, though I'm going on tangent for humor's sake, I think the TF2 grenades example is a perfect analogy. Would they have been easy to implement? Sure. Would they have been useful to have and created new tactics? Of course. Is the game any worse because it doesn't have them in, while it's predecessor did? Hell no.

Treblaine

Jul 25, 2008
CantFaketheFunk said:
hansari said:
CantFaketheFunk said:
the most inconsequential complaint of all time, the removal of the ability to lean around corners).
Seriously?

You must not play a lot of FPS online if you don't get the importance of leaning. You can live without it, but there is a difference between barely being seen around the corner/shooting a guy then withdrawing like its whack-a-mole .vs. strafing to the side exposing more of your body.
~
As for mod tools...well lets wait for them to come out first...
Uh, I'm sure that it's a fine feature, but that's like complaining that the game doesn't have rocket-jumping (which is also a fine feature). If a game isn't developed around a certain ability, it's not developed around a certain ability. If they'd balanced a game with lean from the beginning and then took it out, you'd have a point, but they never intended it to be in the game in the first place.

Is TF2 bad because it doesn't have lean? Of course not, because it wasn't ever intended to have it.
I think it's completely unreasonable to compare Lean to Rocket Jumping in a Call of Duty game.

COD or Modern Warfare (take you pick on franchise) are All About using cover and you know what, leaning out from behind cover is pretty useful, you don't have to balance a game for lean for goodness's sake. This is not Team Fortress 2 or Halo we are talking about here.

I mean MW2 is hardly a revolution from COD4, improved in so many areas but for a huge part it is almost the same and you just try playing COD4 on Veteran without using Lean.

I don't know why you do these stories if you show such a complete lack of understanding of these really basic PC gaming things. I don't know if it is intentional but it sure as hell looks like you are just parroting whatever IW say in their official press release.

I mean they actually said "not balanced for lean" JUST like you did.

I'm getting emotional, sorry about that. I'm over-reacting that you used the same wording as IW. But surely you should realise the fans' reaction to removing a feature that is so essential and fundamental to the COD franchise and also how suspicious PC gamers are that they removed a feature that coincidentally cannot physically be supported on the consoles.

Edited: for asshattery