Infinity Ward Teases Modding Tools for PC Modern Warfare 2

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Infinity Ward Teases Modding Tools for PC Modern Warfare 2

Infinity Ward may be relenting on one of the sore spots PC gamers had with their version of Modern Warfare 2: The game may be getting official mod tools after all.

When it came to the official PC release of CoD MewTwo, the PC gaming community had more than a few grievances: Chief among them was the game's lack of dedicated server support, but there were other issues as well, notably the absence of official modding tools (and a curious stink over the most inconsequential complaint of all time, the removal of the ability to lean around corners).

None of this stopped the PC version of MW2 from selling like hotcakes - far outstripping its predecessor, Call of Duty 4, even - but it seems that Infinity Ward may have been listening to the fans after all... Maybe. Sort of.

In response to a responded [http://twitter.com/CprlRst/status/6643055663]: "Nothing on Dedicated Servers, but there may be some Mod Tools news coming in the future, I'll pass it along once I have it."

Now, he doesn't say that the news would be, "We're releasing mod tools," but that's the impression that the announcement gives. And who knows? If IW is willing to compromise on this issue, they may be willing to compromise on the dedicated servers thing, too - letting the disenfranchised PC crowd get in on what is (judging by the conversations Jordan Deam and Spinwhiz have by my desk almost every morning) a genuinely good game. Or would it be too little, too late?

paketep

Jul 14, 2008
Too little, too late, and that's on top of lying to the fans and all but spitting on them.

I have lost faith in IW.

hansari

May 31, 2009
CantFaketheFunk said:
the most inconsequential complaint of all time, the removal of the ability to lean around corners).
Seriously?

You must not play a lot of FPS online if you don't get the importance of leaning. You can live without it, but there is a difference between barely being seen around the corner/shooting a guy then withdrawing like its whack-a-mole .vs. strafing to the side exposing more of your body.
~
As for mod tools...well lets wait for them to come out first...

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
I suppose Mod community would be happy if tools were released. It would give them something to do other than whine all day (Like the guy next to me at work...)

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
hansari said:
CantFaketheFunk said:
the most inconsequential complaint of all time, the removal of the ability to lean around corners).
Seriously?

You must not play a lot of FPS online if you don't get the importance of leaning. You can live without it, but there is a difference between barely being seen around the corner/shooting a guy then withdrawing like its whack-a-mole .vs. strafing to the side exposing more of your body.
~
Uh, I'm sure that it's a fine feature, but that's like complaining that the game doesn't have rocket-jumping (which is also a fine feature). If a game isn't developed around a certain ability, it's not developed around a certain ability. If they'd balanced a game with lean from the beginning and then took it out, you'd have a point, but they never intended it to be in the game in the first place.

Is TF2 bad because it doesn't have lean? Of course not, because it wasn't ever intended to have it.

Nimbus

Token Irish Guy
Oct 22, 2008
Too little, too late. They shot themselves in the foot, and now they're trying to plug the wound with chewing gum.

Buccura

Aug 13, 2009
I wanna know what they define as modding tools. We talking full on SDK, or just little tweaks to gameplay like in Halo 3.

Apr 28, 2008
Too little, too late.

They already caused most of the PC community to hate them with a passion, and most by now have probably moved on.

And besides, what good are custom maps if you have no dedicated servers to put them on?

Wrds

Dyslexic Wonder
Sep 4, 2008
I wonder how many PC gamers still haven't bought the game, I know I have it.

Honestly its not worth $60.

Cherry Cola

Your daddy, your Rock'n'Rolla
Jun 26, 2009
How many will actually be glad about the news?

Although I guess it is, in fact, too little too late.

Doug

Apr 23, 2008
I don't really care about the leaning buttons or the mod tools. I just want the multiplayer ungimped and I'll be able to at least play within 30 minutes of starting the program. And stay in a game without lag locking the whole thing up.

Xanadu84

Apr 9, 2008
Id forgive them.

Come on, we need to encourage developers to experiment. IW thought that Mods were unnecessary, and that they could make a matchmaking service that would replace dedicated servers. Both thoughts were dismal, dismal failures, which they probably should have realized, seeing how it's not like no one told them. However, far more important then screwing up is the capacity to recognize a mistake and correcting it. Also, if PC Gamers forgive IW when they correct there mistakes, then they will be encouraged to support PC gaming as much as possible. If we give the proverbial, "F you, too little too late", well...they really have no reason to fix there mistakes and improve, do they? If you want IW to act like part of a dynamic community, which we do, we have to be able to forgive and forget when they make mistakes but fix them. If we want them to act like cold and distant corporate entities disconnected from there consumers, then we will keep getting shafted, and they won't notice the drop in revenue while there rolling in their money beds. I suggest that if IW adds mod support and dedicated, everyone who was complaining about IW screwing us over seriously consider taking out your wallets and purchasing the game which you wanted, now with the features you wanted.

Lord_Panzer

Impractically practical
Feb 6, 2009
CantFaketheFunk said:
If they'd balanced a game with lean...
Obligatory:

That aside, until they bring in official dedicated servers, they still aren't getting my money.

Asehujiko

Feb 25, 2008
CantFaketheFunk said:
hansari said:
CantFaketheFunk said:
Seriously?

~
Uh, I'm sure that it's a fine feature, but that's like complaining that the game doesn't have rocket-jumping (which is also a fine feature). If a game isn't developed around a certain ability, it's not developed around a certain ability. If they'd balanced a game with lean from the beginning and then took it out, you'd have a point, but they never intended it to be in the game in the first place.

Is TF2 bad because it doesn't have lean? Of course not, because it wasn't ever intended to have it.
We were promised all of the PC specific features that were in CoD4 and that includes lean. Speaking of promises, bowling has been proven to be full of bullshit, who can say with any certainty that he's honest about this?

rta

Mar 20, 2009
^ this is a SICK pic. how on earth did they get those off the barge? lmao

Georgeman

Mar 2, 2009
Too little, too late, the respect has waned. And the reports on outstripping its predecessor aren't necessarily accurate. It might have just sold better on the first week than that of its predecessor, but not necessarily on overall sales.

Doug

Apr 23, 2008
Xanadu84 said:
Id forgive them.

Come on, we need to encourage developers to experiment. IW thought that Mods were unnecessary, and that they could make a matchmaking service that would replace dedicated servers. Both thoughts were dismal, dismal failures, which they probably should have realized, seeing how it's not like no one told them. However, far more important then screwing up is the capacity to recognize a mistake and correcting it. Also, if PC Gamers forgive IW when they correct there mistakes, then they will be encouraged to support PC gaming as much as possible. If we give the proverbial, "F you, too little too late", well...they really have no reason to fix there mistakes and improve, do they? If you want IW to act like part of a dynamic community, which we do, we have to be able to forgive and forget when they make mistakes but fix them. If we want them to act like cold and distant corporate entities disconnected from there consumers, then we will keep getting shafted, and they won't notice the drop in revenue while there rolling in their money beds. I suggest that if IW adds mod support and dedicated, everyone who was complaining about IW screwing us over seriously consider taking out your wallets and purchasing the game which you wanted, now with the features you wanted.
They basically said "FUCK YOU PC COMMUNITY!" to us, and now they MIGHT be turning around on that? Why should we forgive them? I half expect we'll have to buy DLC to get DS support back. Frankly, IW seemed bloody sure of themselves before.

In fact, I'm alittle surprised they are even bothering trying to get us back on board (assuming this is true and they'll restore dedicated servers - neither of which have been confirmed) given the huge sales on the XBox and PS3 and the amount of effort they've already spent on pissing us off.

Amnestic

High Priest of Haruhi
Aug 22, 2008
Lord_Panzer said:
CantFaketheFunk said:
If they'd balanced a game with lean...
Obligatory:
*imagesnip*

That aside, until they bring in official dedicated servers, they still aren't getting my money.

How would mod tools work without dedicated servers anyway?