Injustice 2 Preview - It's Time to Gear Up

Lizzy Finnegan

Mar 11, 2015
Injustice 2 Preview - It's Time to Gear Up

We can make him better than he was. Better, stronger, faster.

Read Full Article

ShakerSilver

Professional Procrastinator
Nov 13, 2009
I already didn't like the first Injustice all that much, so I wasn't that interested in the notion of a sequel, but this is one of dumbest decisions I've ever heard of and has completely turned me off on the game. Having gear progression be a meaningful element in a fucking fighting game undermines the actual skill involved like learning characters, moves, and matchups. Now you can just be beat by not having the right builds or being underleveled. Of course there's also the fact you'll need to grind for the right gear (or pay for them, because there will no doubt be microtransactions with this ) and that the balance is going to be complete shit given just the sheer number for combinations of gear and characters they have to work with. I really have to wonder if Boon and NRS were thinking of anything other than "this could make us tons of money" when they though this idea up.

Being a DC fan in the current year is suffering.

Edit: Oh yeah, and another thing: Street Fighter X Tekken Gems. 'Nuff said.

immortalfrieza

Elite Member
Legacy
May 12, 2011
Country
USA
ShakerSilver said:
I already didn't like the first Injustice all that much, so I wasn't that interested in the notion of a sequel, but this is one of dumbest decisions I've ever heard of and has completely turned me off on the game. Having gear progression be a meaningful element in a fucking fighting game undermines the actual skill involved like learning characters, moves, and matchups. Now you can just be beat by not having the right builds or being underleveled. Of course there's also the fact you'll need to grind for the right gear (or pay for them, because there will no doubt be microtransactions with this ) and that the balance is going to be complete shit given just the sheer number for combinations of gear and characters they have to work with. I really have to wonder if Boon and NRS were thinking of anything other than "this could make us tons of money" when they though this idea up.

Being a DC fan in the current year is suffering.

Edit: Oh yeah, and another thing: Street Fighter X Tekken Gems. 'Nuff said.
Don't forget the fact that it'll mean people will be forced to use the most powerful equipment, not the equipment that makes their character look the way they want. Dragonball Xenoverse had the same exact issue and it was just as stupid there.

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
I like this. I avoid the multiplayer component of fighting games like the plague, so this gear system intrigues me.

But it already sounds like this game will be a microtransaction bonanza, so my enthusiasm is curbed a bit.

Chaos Isaac

Jun 27, 2013
The game simply needs to have a option that any gear becomes cosmetic, and the base game, assuming it's well balanced, is all that matters during competitive play. But maybe could use it for story mode or for more casual players to help them have their fun.

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
Chaos Isaac said:
The game simply needs to have a option that any gear becomes cosmetic, and the base game, assuming it's well balanced, is all that matters during competitive play. But maybe could use it for story mode or for more casual players to help them have their fun.
That's true. Soul Calibur 4 had gear that effected stats, but you didn't have to use it, and there was one online mode for the stats turned on, and another turned off. I think most played turned off too, and you got to have your cool looking characters.

Kahani

May 25, 2011
ShakerSilver said:
Having gear progression be a meaningful element in a fucking fighting game undermines the actual skill involved like learning characters, moves, and matchups. Now you can just be beat by not having the right builds or being underleveled.
It depends how it's done. The article says gear can change your stats and abilities, not necessarily improve them. That could simply mean that changing gear is essentially the same as simply changing character - you don't become more powerful than before, you just have different strengths and abilities that play in a slightly different way. A cape that makes your attacks stronger would be an obvious advantage over people who don't have it, but a cape that makes one attack stronger and another weaker wouldn't necessarily make you stronger overall.

ShakerSilver

Professional Procrastinator
Nov 13, 2009
Kahani said:
It depends how it's done. The article says gear can change your stats and abilities, not necessarily improve them. That could simply mean that changing gear is essentially the same as simply changing character - you don't become more powerful than before, you just have different strengths and abilities that play in a slightly different way. A cape that makes your attacks stronger would be an obvious advantage over people who don't have it, but a cape that makes one attack stronger and another weaker wouldn't necessarily make you stronger overall.
I've seen the demos for the game - gear straight up upgrades your character. A character with any gear is inherently better than one without any, and some gear is objectively better than others (hence why it's a ''progression'' system). Even if this wasn't the case, the point about muddying balance and over-complicating matchups still stands. Having a system like this is straight up incompatible with any versus multiplayer game - which is why TF2's balance is a mess right now too.

Neurotic Void Melody

Bound to escape
Legacy
Jul 15, 2013
I can already imagine Lex Luthor upgrading his robot suit with 16 inch gold plated rims, go-faster stripes and a subwoofer rivalling a quasar burst that'll increase his rapid hydraulics speed by 2/17s of a second.

GojiraGamer

May 23, 2014
This could work. The keyword being "could". But, I kind of wish that the gear system was purely cosmetic. Then, you could just go with what looks cool, stats and upgrades be damned.