Injustice: Gods Among Us Adding Mortal Kombat's Scorpion to Roster

StewShearerOld

Geekdad News Writer
Jan 5, 2013
Injustice: Gods Among Us Adding Mortal Kombat's Scorpion to Roster

A new video has unveiled the Injustice version of Scorpion and provided peeks at Black Lantern Superman and Martian Manhunter.

When Injustice: Gods Among Us launched it came packaged with a cast of twenty-four fighters drawn from the pages of DC comics. That said, of the twenty-four characters available at launch, nearly a quarter were from Batman-franchises, while other prominent characters from the DC Universe were left out. The game's initial rounds of DLC would do little to rectify this, adding <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/123602-Lobo-Gives Batman-The-Finger-In-Debut-Footage>Superman baddy Lobo and <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/123885-Batgirl-Takes-Revenge-On-The-Joker-In-New-Injustice-Clip>Batgirl, another Gothamite. With more DLC characters planned, fans have remained hopeful that future fighters would help diversify the game's roster. Now, a third fighter has been announced and it's not even close to being a member of the DC Universe.

NetherRealm Studios, the developer behind Injustice, has revealed that the next fighter to join the Gods Among Us will be Mortal Kombat's Scorpion. The new version of Scorpion, specially designed by artist and DC Comics co-publisher Jim Lee, was unveiled in a video released by NetherRealm which also gave peeks at Black Lantern Superman and Martian Manhunter, which we can only assume will be playable in the future. Players who bought the Injustice DLC season pass will receive Scorpion as a part of their package. Scorpion will also be sold separately for five dollars on the PSN and 400 Microsoft points on Xbox Live. DLC for the Wii U version will coming this summer.

Source: <a href=http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/archive/2013/06/03/scorpion-joins-injustice-gods-among-us-fatality-not-included.aspx>Game Informer

Vrach

Jun 17, 2010
Ah crap, knew that leak was true after I saw Batgirl. This is just a load of bollocks, there's a ton of DC characters who could and should be taking that spot and throwing Scorpion in makes no sense (other than the "well, we don't have to put any thought into him, we already have the design and gameplay for him"). I also read somewhere they've said before that they wouldn't do cross-universe. If so, way to go >.<

josemlopes

Jun 9, 2008
To be honest I kind of expect NetherRealm to just cram Scorpion into every game they make, its their mascot, its even their logo

JamesBr

Nov 4, 2010
While the redesign is cool, I was hoping for more DC characters instead of one of the most prolific fighting game characters of all time. While I understand that NetherRelms is neck deep in the MK franchise now, they might as well have added Ryu for all the relevance the character has.

Osaka117

Feb 20, 2011
Good, now I can finally tell Supermans and Deathstrokes who just wanna hang out full screen to GET OVER HERE!

Trishbot

May 10, 2011
I know they did it because, you know, Ed Boon likes him...

... But I didn't buy a Mortal Kombat game. I bought a friggin' DC comics game. As a DC comics fan. For DC comics characters.

And there's thousands of DC characters they could've gone with in their already anemic roster that's 1/3rd Batman characters... and they went with a Mortal Kombat character.

The DC universe already HAS a powerful, vengeful, hellspawned demon anti-hero they could've used. His name is ETRIGAN, the DEMON. ARGH!!!

Ferisar

Oct 2, 2010
Trishbot said:
I know they did it because, you know, Ed Boon likes him...

... But I didn't buy a Mortal Kombat game. I bought a friggin' DC comics game. As a DC comics fan. For DC comics characters.

And there's thousands of DC characters they could've gone with in their already anemic roster that's 1/3rd Batman characters... and they went with a Mortal Kombat character.

The DC universe already HAS a powerful, vengeful, hellspawned demon anti-hero they could've used. His name is ETRIGAN, the DEMON. ARGH!!!
And as someone who knows of DC characters in passing, cartoons, and here-and-there's, I have no idea who that is.

The two major comic book universes have an archetype for pretty much every character in existence. That doesn't automatically mean they all need to be represented.

OT:
Neat. Doesn't make me any more partial toward purchasing the title as I am awful at fighters, but neat.

Mr. Q

Apr 30, 2013
Do we really need to remind folks of Mortal Kombat vs. DC Universe? Aren't we all in agreement that it sucked?

The inclusion of Scorpion reminds me of Freddy Kruger being added to the DLC list. It just feels out of place that he's being put into this for no logical reason other than NetherRealm Studios is making the game. I can understand the addition of Kratos because (a) he was a PS3 exclusive character and (b) imo, his background and design made him a better fit in MK. Scorpion feels like a waste of a character slot that should have been used by any of the many characters within the DCU (aside from the one's residing in Gotham City).

Also, WHY IN THE BLUE FUCK IS JIM LEE IN CHARGE OF SCORPION'S DESIGN?!? He's fucked up Wonder Woman's look twice and his 90s taint is apparent on all the costume designs in the New 52. The way I see it, the only reason he's still relavent is that he has a bit more talent than Rob Liefeld and Todd MacFarlane. At least he can draw anatomy better than Liefeld but then a brain dead chimp can draw better than Liefeld.

There had better be more DCL characters other than the 4 announced earlier on and that includes Martian Manhunter. If so, NO MORE MK CHARACTERS! Not even Sub Zero! The game has an ice-powered character called Killer Frost and I'm amazed she got in the game to begin with.

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
What a waste. They have a giant cast of characters in the DC universe, and they do this. I mean, if they wanted to release him for free along with another DC character, cool. But I imagine this takes up one of my season pass slots... and that really disappoints me.

Rad Party God

Party like it's 2010!
Feb 23, 2010
*sigh* That didn't take long. I expected that they learned their lesson by making games speciffically tailored for their franchises, but of course they couldn't waste an opportunity to cram in Scorpion.

While I'm dissapointed it's Scorpion, It's not as bad as people make it seem to be, remember Link* or Yoda in Soul Calibur? It definitely could've been worse.

[small]*Granted, Link was one of my favorite characters in SoulCalibur 2 :)[/small]

Zer0Saber

Aug 20, 2008
I remember when this games was still being developed everyone kept asking Boon about what kind of Mortal Kombat things would be in the game, and Ed just saying, "This is not a Mortal Kombat game." and he wanted to disassociate the games from each other. I guess it's hard to not include anything Mortal Kombat when that's about all he has done, but I think the fans really wanted this. He's always been good at fan service.

Zer_

Rocket Scientist
Feb 7, 2008
Don't like the addition of Scorpion? Don't buy/play him. Really guys. I actually like his new design too. Relax, this isn't the only time there have been crossovers in games (fighting games aside). And this doesn't mean they won't be adding more DC characters into the mix.

weirdee

Swamp Weather Balloon Gas
Apr 11, 2011
I can't wait to see how they explain how anybody can actually defeat an undead Superman with full Superman powers.

Elijah Newton

Sep 17, 2008
Heh. How cool would it be if they ditched the spandex and had a round of Vertigo DLC. Dream, John Constantine, Swamp Thing? Sure it'd be terribly suited to a fighting game but it'd also be hysterical.

Gray Firion

Mar 5, 2012
Sad. If that's the case, then the leak about the upcoming dlc characters is true?

That means there's just 1 left. Bummer, would have liked a full Teen Titans complement. Apart from that there is definetely more potential to the DCU than this.

Captcha: english muffin.

Don't know if there's something different about the english ones, but muffins do help. Thanks captcha!

Trishbot

May 10, 2011
Ferisar said:
Trishbot said:
And as someone who knows of DC characters in passing, cartoons, and here-and-there's, I have no idea who that is.

The two major comic book universes have an archetype for pretty much every character in existence. That doesn't automatically mean they all need to be represented.
I'm genuinely surprised you have no idea who he is. He was a frequently-appearing character in the original, highly popular Batman animated TV series, then later showed up quite a bit in both Justice League and Justice League Unlimited, and even was a regular in Batman: The Brave & The Bold TV series.

He's been around in the comics for the past 40 years, with both his own series and as a member of both Demon Knights and the Justice League, and was one of the premiere New 52-led comic heroes of the past two years.

Of course, having an archetype doesn't mean they all need to be represented (Raven is also demonic with hellspawned powers), but for a DC Comics game set in the DC Comics universe for DC Comics fans, I would have been IMMENSELY more pleased if Etrigan had shown up instead of Scorpion, both to flesh out the roster of DC characters, to give spotlight to an immensely interesting and underrated hero, and because he's a friggin' DC CHARACTER and Scorpion is NOT.

But what's done is done. It won't change now, but it does piss away any chance that a similar character who would fit the game better would get the roster nod instead... and it doesn't mean I have to be HAPPY about it either. Hell, I'm a Mortal Kombat fangirl. I met my fiance by kicking his ass in MK2 with Kitana. But that doesn't mean I want Scorpion in ALL my games. Just because I like Marshmellows and I like Ketchup doesn't mean I want both of them mixed together.