Injustice: Gods Among Us Review - Fights In Tights

Earnest Cavalli

Jun 19, 2008
Injustice: Gods Among Us Review - Fights In Tights

NetherRealm Studios trades in fatalities for kryptonite, and the result is one of the most enjoyable fighters of our modern console generation.

Read Full Article

chozo_hybrid

What is a man? A miserable little pile of secrets.
Jul 15, 2009
I've got the game and I love it. It has a unique style to its fighting and I haven't come across any characters that seem to dominate over others easily, but give it time I suppose, like any fighter.

Only problem I have is that the Zombie mode dlc I got doesn't seem to work, because I can't access it even though my dlc code worked.

Chairman Miaow

CBA to change avatar
Nov 18, 2009
Really glad to hear it's a good game. Going to give it a rental to try it out myself, and then make a decision.

Jan 12, 2012
Fighting games should always have a focus on multiplayer combat...
Someone doesn't read Yahtzee...

OT: It looks fun enough. Back in the day I might have rented it to give it a try, but it's getting harder and harder to find rental places. Guess I'll check the bargain bin 6 months down the road.

BrotherRool

Oct 31, 2008
The cool thing about this review is, fighting games are some mysterious black box to me, but it feels like I can get a tiny glimpse of what people who actually like the games judge them on

Earnest Cavalli

Jun 19, 2008
BrotherRool said:
The cool thing about this review is, fighting games are some mysterious black box to me, but it feels like I can get a tiny glimpse of what people who actually like the games judge them on
This is, like, the highest praise I could possibly receive for this piece. Glad you liked it, as you are exactly the sort of person I hope to aim my fighting game reviews at. It's a surprisingly inscrutable genre for those who don't view themselves as hardcore fighting game fans, so my goal is to try to demystify the concept for gamers who are repulsed by the worryingly insular population that has claimed these sorts of titles as their own.

And if you dig the review, and have an interest in fighters, Injustice is a great place to start. It features a great balance between hardcore mechanics and user-friendly, intuitive controls. Coupled with a very pleasant learning curve, I'd recommend this game to anyone with at least a modicum of interest in fighters, comics, or games in general.

Tanakh

Jul 8, 2011
The hardcore tournament set will be the final arbiter of how successful Injustice is in the competitive fighting game world (and this verdict will take at least a few weeks to pan out), but initial impressions are promising.
Really? Because I remember seeing Dethstrokes ad nauseam at the recent pro tournament, a couple of Aquamans & Supermans and one of the other characters here and there. After watching around 3 hours of it I never saw 12 playable characters, which account for half of it's rooster.

I think a game that focuses on online PvP should be way more careful on it's balance, however it might just be that zoning characters are safer to pick up when money is on the line. I disagree with the quote, think the initial impression of it's balance is terrible but the game shows promise after a couple of patches.

Rad Party God

Party like it's 2010!
Feb 23, 2010
Great review overall, but my only gripe is, this game, more than most, seriously needed a video review and I'm highly disappointed at the lack of one.

But otherwise, I'll nag my cousin or one of my friends to buy or at least rent the game, so I can finally play it :)

Earnest Cavalli

Jun 19, 2008
SupahGamuh said:
Great review overall, but my only gripe is, this game, more than most, seriously needed a video review and I'm highly dissapointed at the lack of one.

But otherwise, I'll nag my cousin or one of my friends to buy or at least rent the game, so I can finally play it :)
I agree with you on that point. All I can say for now is that you should keep an eye on our future fighting game reviews.

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
I couldn't agree more. This is one of the most solid fighters I have played in a long while. Great fun, lots of single player content, which is really what I care about. I loved the story mode, it was rather enthralling and appropriately ridiculous storyline. They also don't beat around the bush and Superman has to beat Superman, which only makes sense.

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
For the record: the answer to the opening question is Batman. He keeps a kryptonite ring on his bat-belt at all times. :p

OT: A friend of mine played the demo and said that he wasn't too impressed with it while I've only been mildly interested since it was announced. He said it reminded him too much of the "new" Mortal Kombat game only with DC characters and no fatalities.

elvor0

Sep 8, 2008
Thunderous Cacophony said:

OT: It looks fun enough. Back in the day I might have rented it to give it a try, but it's getting harder and harder to find rental places. Guess I'll check the bargain bin 6 months down the road.
It's a fighting game, multiplayer is generally their core. Like Battlefield, or TF2.

But the game is pretty good, plot wise it's similar to the obvious episode from Justice League, fightings very smooth, lots of moves for each character, (a nice feature is that you can switch between "Tekken" style controls and "Street Fighter" style controls). My only irk is the way the health system works, in that you just get 2 flat layers to deplete as opposed to rounds like in most fighting games, so if someone gets a lead, they're likely to stay there instead of the tried and true best out of 3.

chozo_hybrid

What is a man? A miserable little pile of secrets.
Jul 15, 2009
RJ 17 said:
For the record: the answer to the opening question is Batman. He keeps a kryptonite ring on his bat-belt at all times. :p

OT: A friend of mine played the demo and said that he wasn't too impressed with it while I've only been mildly interested since it was announced. He said it reminded him too much of the "new" Mortal Kombat game only with DC characters and no fatalities.
Well it has similarities to the new MK game, but why is no fatalities a minus? Because it's made by the MK guys, all their games have to have it? I have found it to be a fairly solid game with a lot of content, wagers and the interactive environments add a unique and different kind of strategy element to fights. Give it a rent, the demo showcased a few things but with nothing telling you how how do the transitions, wagers etc so it may not have seemed all that great to your friend. I don't know, but if you like fighting games, I'd at least give it a shot :D

elvor0 said:

It's a fighting game, multiplayer is generally their core. Like Battlefield, or TF2.

But the game is pretty good, plot wise it's similar to the obvious episode from Justice League, fightings very smooth, lots of moves for each character, (a nice feature is that you can switch between "Tekken" style controls and "Street Fighter" style controls). My only irk is the way the health system works, in that you just get 2 flat layers to deplete as opposed to rounds like in most fighting games, so if someone gets a lead, they're likely to stay there instead of the tried and true best out of 3.
Yet it has a lot of single player content too, so I feel everybody wins in that instance, plenty of battle types and S.T.A.R Labs challenges as well that mix it up quite well.

The health/round system is different, but I kinda like it. After all, if Lex and Supes are duking it out, I doubt it'd be in rounds. When someones first health bar is depleted, the character that did the damage knock the enemy down and taunt to show end of the fist round at least resetting the match stance in a way.

In VS you can always rematch to best of three like my friends and I have been doing :D

The_Darkness

Nov 8, 2010
Earnest Cavalli said:
BrotherRool said:
This is, like, the highest praise I could possibly receive for this piece. Glad you liked it, as you are exactly the sort of person I hope to aim my fighting game reviews at. It's a surprisingly inscrutable genre for those who don't view themselves as hardcore fighting game fans, so my goal is to try to demystify the concept for gamers who are repulsed by the worryingly insular population that has claimed these sorts of titles as their own.

And if you dig the review, and have an interest in fighters, Injustice is a great place to start. It features a great balance between hardcore mechanics and user-friendly, intuitive controls. Coupled with a very pleasant learning curve, I'd recommend this game to anyone with at least a modicum of interest in fighters, comics, or games in general.
Hmm... Then I have just one remaining question (well, two, actually, but they are closely related):

Does it have local, offline multiplayer, and can I set myself up in a battle against a computer controlled bot?

If the answer to both of those questions is yes, then I may have to pick this up... (And it'd be the first fighting game to convince me to do so - besides Smash Bros, that is)

Earnest Cavalli

Jun 19, 2008
The_Darkness said:
Hmm... Then I have just one remaining question (well, two, actually, but they are closely related):

Does it have local, offline multiplayer, and can I set myself up in a battle against a computer controlled bot?

If the answer to both of those questions is yes, then I may have to pick this up... (And it'd be the first fighting game to convince me to do so - besides Smash Bros, that is)
Yeah, it absolutely has both of those options and dozens of variations and modifiers for each, allowing you to set up basically any kind of match you could imagine.

Enjoy your new fighting game.

mattttherman3

Dec 16, 2008
Funny, the game is good, but there have been a few bugs I've noticed, one is that the zombie mode dlc does not work. Another is at times I cannot access the online mode and the game says my internet is disconnected, but at the same time I'm voice chatting my buddy in another city over the headset. Also, Batman's costumes are legit shit. Luckily I got the arkham city dlc skins as well. Another beef I have is that no alternate skins should be unlocked by online play IMO, some of us are not nearly good enough to beat a ranked opponent thanks

elvor0

Sep 8, 2008
chozo_hybrid said:
elvor0 said:

Yet it has a lot of single player content too, so I feel everybody wins in that instance, plenty of battle types and S.T.A.R Labs challenges as well that mix it up quite well.

The health/round system is different, but I kinda like it. After all, if Lex and Supes are duking it out, I doubt it'd be in rounds. When someones first health bar is depleted, the character that did the damage knock the enemy down and taunt to show end of the fist round at least resetting the match stance in a way.

In VS you can always rematch to best of three like my friends and I have been doing :D
Oh quite quite, the amount of single player content is excellent, which you're right, is a win win for everyone, I was just saying for fighters, mulitplayer is generally the focus :D I picked it up today and did the entire story in one sitting, so it was certainly engrossing, some of the plot elements felt a bit hamfisted or stretched down the slippy slope, but for what it was it was good fun (I think the Injustice for All episodes of Justice League was a better version of the same story).

Looking forward to doing the STAR labs stuff, as I did a bit of the Red Son stuff and that was pretty cool, plus it gives them the ability to release little mini campaigns like that.

The round thing isn't really a problem, I think I just need to think of it as one bar rather than 2. It's just one of those things that I'm so used to not having it throws me a little, the way it is in Injustice makes far more sense in context.

Strelok

Dec 22, 2012
I couldn't wait for this, I played the demo the other day, can cancelled my pre-order the next day. I find this review a little generous to say the least.

Agayek

Ravenous Gormandizer
Oct 23, 2008
Awesome. I've been on the fence about this game for the last couple weeks, but this review and the comments here have pretty much sold me on it. Thanks folks.