Injustice: Gods Among Us Review - Fights In Tights

FrostyVSG

Apr 12, 2013
I've been a big DC/Mortal Kombat fan since pretty much birth and my expectations for this game were pretty high due to the successes of MK9. Injustice blew the doors off aforementioned expectations. Although the story may have been over the top in some areas, it was short, sweet, to the point and did not overstay its welcome and sufficed as a good retelling. And I can definitely say this game's net code is leaps and bounds over MK9's. Good job Netherrealm studios!

Parakeettheprawn

Apr 6, 2013
Am I the only person who felt the review seemed a bit unpolished? The actual opinions themselves were fine but the overall execution seemed a bit lackluster IMO. No offense meant, just an observation.

J Tyran

Dec 15, 2011
Superman's super punch is pretty awesome looking.

Most of the super moves in general all look spectacular, the environment attacks do too.

Earnest Cavalli

Jun 19, 2008
Parakeettheprawn said:
Am I the only person who felt the review seemed a bit unpolished? The actual opinions themselves were fine but the overall execution seemed a bit lackluster IMO. No offense meant, just an observation.
Nope. I felt the same way.

chozo_hybrid

What is a man? A miserable little pile of secrets.
Jul 15, 2009
elvor0 said:
How long was the campaign in all? Curious, as I only just did a couple of Batman's fights before I had to go to work.

As for the round thing, you'll get used to it in time =D Just like any new idea in a videogame, takes time to get used to all that sort of stuff.

Gameslayer_93

Jul 17, 2009
chozo_hybrid said:
elvor0 said:
How long was the campaign in all? Curious, as I only just did a couple of Batman's fights before I had to go to work.

As for the round thing, you'll get used to it in time =D Just like any new idea in a videogame, takes time to get used to all that sort of stuff.
The campaigns pretty short, i think i blasted through it in about 4 hours although theres plenty of other single-player content to keep you occupied

chozo_hybrid

What is a man? A miserable little pile of secrets.
Jul 15, 2009
Gameslayer_93 said:
chozo_hybrid said:
elvor0 said:

The campaigns pretty short, i think i blasted through it in about 4 hours although theres plenty of other single-player content to keep you occupied
I got through the MK one pretty quick, so that's not surprising. Better then other fighting games though. Thanks :D

Vrach

Jun 17, 2010
somehow this mashup of disparate styles makes Injustice feel better, and more fluid than any prior Mortal Kombat games, which have always been a bit stiff in comparison to their Japanese counterparts.
Really? Because I personally feel like MK9 is absolutely the most fluid game of all. I've tried a bit of the Japanese counterparts, but the main reason I didn't get into them is exactly because I feel they're less fluid and more stiff than MK9. Mind you, I haven't played fighting games for a while and I've stepped back in with MK9, so I could well be biased, but it's just my experience.

Anyway, the game's pretty brilliant. I've played the demo for a week or so now and finally getting my hands on it last night, my mate and I had a ton of fun with it. The only thing lacking for me is the 2vs2, because I feel the fights are a bit short when they're one on one, especially considering 20% combos are the basics, 30% combos are easy as hell and as MK9 has taught us, 40% combos are the standard when you start getting good with the game. Throw in the fact that interacting with the environment can get you a huge hit (not sure on the percentages, but a wall kick does 33% without any combo leading up to it, >40% with and the throwable objects do at least 20%) and you get rather short matches for my taste.

The main reason I miss it though is when I have more than a single person over to play with, it just means more downtime and I enjoyed the tag ladder in MK9 as well, playing with a friend and finding new ways and challenges to kick the computers arse.

Still, the combat flows well (though differently from MK9, takes a bit of getting used to) and the environment attacks really fit in with the whole superhero fighting theme. The roster is decent and fun and while I have a special sort of hatred for Lex Luthor and Doomsday over the whole shield thing, I don't feel any characters are really overpowered compared to the rest (which is truly an accomplishment on release day if you ask me). I like that it's not just a reskin of MK9 as well, it adds a lot of new things and ways to fight.

Vrach

Jun 17, 2010
Chairman Miaow said:
Really glad to hear it's a good game. Going to give it a rental to try it out myself, and then make a decision.
There's a demo, you can play local Versus with Batman, Wonder Woman and Lex Luthor available. There's also a ladder (Battle) with those three opponents and Doomsday, so might suit your purposes of trying it out (free ftw :) ). Not sure how familiar you are with some concepts though, myself, I learned several things (that I saw the computer do, but had no clue how to do myself) when playing the Tutorial (which is sadly only available in the full game).

Earnest Cavalli said:
And if you dig the review, and have an interest in fighters, Injustice is a great place to start. It features a great balance between hardcore mechanics and user-friendly, intuitive controls. Coupled with a very pleasant learning curve, I'd recommend this game to anyone with at least a modicum of interest in fighters, comics, or games in general.
Also, depends on your friends, but I find fighting games are one of the best party game genres, so it's great to have with a friend or few over :)

Soxafloppin

Coxa no longer floppin'
Jun 22, 2009
I'm loving it so far, I don't know why people want fighting games to be stuck in the 90s!

We want content :D

Vrach

Jun 17, 2010
Red X said:
I didn't enjoy the Demo much, it felt too stiff for me so i'll have to postpone my purchase. Although this means i can spend that money on Persona 4 Arena, i live in Britain so it isn't out yet.

Good review overall :)
I had the same feeling, coming from MK9. How long have you played it? After a few days, I've gotten completely used to it, it flows pretty well and isn't stiff at all, it's just a bit different and takes a tad getting used to. I'd recommend trying it a bit more, perhaps renting it, if you're into fighting games, it's a really good title imo :)

Tanakh said:
The hardcore tournament set will be the final arbiter of how successful Injustice is in the competitive fighting game world (and this verdict will take at least a few weeks to pan out), but initial impressions are promising.
Really? Because I remember seeing Dethstrokes ad nauseam at the recent pro tournament, a couple of Aquamans & Supermans and one of the other characters here and there. After watching around 3 hours of it I never saw 12 playable characters, which account for half of it's rooster.

I think a game that focuses on online PvP should be way more careful on it's balance, however it might just be that zoning characters are safer to pick up when money is on the line. I disagree with the quote, think the initial impression of it's balance is terrible but the game shows promise after a couple of patches.
Dude, look at any fighting game tournament and you'll see the same thing. I remember watching TTT2 tournament, almost every single round had the same characters. Fact is, no matter how much you balance things, in PvP, there's always going to be that one or few characters that just come out ahead thanks to certain abilities they have. Hardcore players always go for the same things, they value math over all else and mathematically, someone's ALWAYS going to be better.

Sleepy Sol

Feb 15, 2011
Soxafloppin said:
I'm loving it so far, I don't know why people want fighting games to be stuck in the 90s!

We want content :D
In a perfect world, both the amount of content presented in Injustice/MK9 and the excellent mechanics of games like MvC3/Street Fighter/King of Fighters (XIII mainly) would be able to come together to form the perfect game.

Unfortunately, it seems it's just not possible...yet.

As someone who enjoyed his time with MK9 but didn't play it for very long and enjoys what the Eastern front has to offer more on the fighting game front...I'm extremely on the fence with this game.

Personally, I care more for how the game actually plays and how good it feels to me. I didn't actually like how MK9 felt nearly as much as the Capcom and SNK offerings I've played so I'm leaning towards not getting this.

Two-A

Aug 1, 2012
Thunderous Cacophony said:
Fighting games should always have a focus on multiplayer combat...
Someone doesn't read Yahtzee...

OT: It looks fun enough. Back in the day I might have rented it to give it a try, but it's getting harder and harder to find rental places. Guess I'll check the bargain bin 6 months down the road.
Well, it depends on the genre, things like fighting games and racing games are not usually played alone. Besides, fighters get most of their sales from tournament players and stuff. So it makes sense to put focus on the multiplayer.

OT: I like NRS approach, they strive for a solid and deep fighter without alienating the "casual" players.

ComicsAreWeird

Oct 14, 2010
I'm a sucker for tag team fighting games and hoped to see that mechanic implemented on this game, since it was featured in the last MK.Sadly, it doesn't seem to be the case .I might still get it when they release the inevitable ultimate pack with the dlc characters included (Lobo's already confirmed).

kburns10

You Gots to Chill
Sep 10, 2012
Thanks for the review! It definitely sounds like a solid game that doesn't take itself too seriously in the story department. I honestly enjoyed MK vs. DC and I expect no less from this.

The Apple BOOM

Nov 16, 2012
The problem with this game is that it's too shallow. The developers tried too hard to script the combos and techniques instead of having it more free form like MvC (although I hate that game for other reasons) and Street Fighter. The result is a fighter that people who are inexperienced in the genre will enjoy, but the ceiling is so low that most fighting game veterans will forget about it after a month or two, granted Nether Realms doesn't pull a Riot on us.