Injustice: Gods Among Us Season Pass Offers Discounted DLC Fighters

Earnest Cavalli

Jun 19, 2008
Injustice: Gods Among Us Season Pass Offers Discounted DLC Fighters

NetherRealm Studios has announced the Injustice: Gods Among Us Season Pass which offers fans discounted DLC and exclusive content.

Almost every big-name game release these days features a season pass of one kind or another. This allows players to pick up huge swaths of a given game's downloadable content, while also guaranteeing that publishers will see a larger amount of revenue from players who might otherwise pick up a single DLC pack, then lose interest in the others. It's a win-win situation for everyone (though obviously the publishers are winning just a bit bigger than fans).

NetherRealm Studios' upcoming DC Comics-based fighting game Injustice: Gods Among Us is no exception to this increasingly ubiquitous trend, and details on the game's season pass were officially revealed this morning. When Injustice makes its retail debut on April 16, players will be able to purchase the Season Pass for $15, regardless of which platform they purchase the game on. For that money, players will be granted access to the game's four downloadable characters, each of whom would otherwise be priced at $5 a piece - NetherRealm fans will recognize this DLC scheme as being almost identical to that seen in 2011's Mortal Kombat - effectively netting fans a 25% discount on these bonus fighters.

Additionally, the Season Pass offers "exclusive" access to the Flashpoint Skin Pack, a small bit of DLC that features alternate costumes for Wonder Woman, Deathstroke and Aquaman. I say "exclusive," because while that's the claim made by this morning's announcement, it wouldn't be at all surprising to see the Flashpoint Skin Pack eventually appear as standard downloadable content after the game has been on store shelves for a bit.

As for which DC Comics characters might be included as the aforementioned DLC fighters, that's still something of a mystery. Though we're less than a month from the debut of Injustice, NetherRealm is still periodically revealing new fighters for the title, and no one is really sure which characters will be included in the game's basic roster and which might appear as DLC down the road. For that matter, NetherRealm decide not to mention any of the DLC fighters prior to the game's retail debut, instead preferring to roll them out post-launch. Then again, once Mortal Kombat was released, it took mere weeks for fans to suss out which characters were headed to the game as DLC thanks to clever hacking and deductive reasoning, so even if NetherRealm plans to keep the lid on these fighters, it's not likely to remain a secret for long once the game hits store shelves.

For now though, all we have to go on is speculation over who these fighters might be. Personally I'm hoping that NetherRealm opts for hyper-apropos post-modern surrealism and throws in a digital simulacrum of Alan Moore who attacks not with his fists, but instead with profound ideas about the very nature of superheroes and the obsolescence of the truly noble in the face of modern cynicism. Also, his beard could pull off some awesome Dhalsim-style stretching attacks.

Lucane

Mar 24, 2008
IF the current roster only has 1 lantern (likely green) I'd think they'll add another of a different color who basically is a palette swap with a few new trick like how Sub-Zero and Scorpion used to be. And maybe the Martian Manhunter as my other guess. For the other 2 remaining maybe they're going to more popular comics series of late that are not already on the roster?

Oh, I'm gonna go for a long shot in Powergirl making the list.

CJ1145

Elite Member
Jan 6, 2009
Lucane said:
IF the current roster only has 1 lantern (likely green) I'd think they'll add another of a different color who basically is a palette swap with a few new trick like how Sub-Zero and Scorpion used to be. And maybe the Martian Manhunter as my other guess. For the other 2 remaining maybe they're going to more popular comics series of late that are not already on the roster?

Oh, I'm gonna go for a long shot in Powergirl making the list.
There's also Sinestro, a Yellow Lantern, though honestly they could make a giant-ass bundle of nothing but the other famous Green, Yellow, Blue, Red, bladabla Lanterns and make a fucking steal.

Vedrenne

Feb 8, 2010
My guess is the four dlc characters are Red Hood, Cheetara, Black Manta and Scarecrow. Only have evidence for Scarecrow at the moment though.

Tanis

The Last Albino
Aug 30, 2010
'Season Pass'?

Welp, guess that means I'll be waiting for the 'Ultimate Edition' that's gonna be released in a year or two.

eltonborges

Apr 25, 2008
Well, I do believe that some other characters from the Wonder Woman side would be a nice thing. So, Gracie Choi and Devastation would fit very well into this universe they are creating for the game, and they could add Fatality for a bit more exposition on the Lanterns side... About the Season Pass, well, it's not a win-win, in fact, after the Komplete Edition I can say it's a Lose-Win situation for the fans. See, I bought the season pass, but they release more content outside that, the extra fatalities for Sub-Zero/Scorpion/Reptile were not included into the season pass. But for the people who waited and decided to not buy the season pass or the game the future was bright and comforting: a version with everything in disc for 20 dollars less than the price of the game at launch.
For me, and this is my opinion here, I can't support this practice and I will not buy Injustice, at least for the first year and half. If the Season Pass could really include ALL of the DLC, I would not be totally against it, but it will not and if they release a version with everything in the disc, it will cost way less.
Anyway, I hope this game do well, it looks fun to play and could have the best story mode ever in any fighting game to date.
Again, please NetherRealm, bring Grace Choi and Fatality(but not the Ring of Love version)...

Tiamattt

Jul 15, 2011
Hm, hard to guess without knowing all of the main roster. Guessing a 2 hero and 2 villain formula?

With in mind
Martain Manhunter-popular enough for people to pay for
Starfire - Also popular, plus the game can use some more girls

Black Adam - Shazam with no Adam anywhere is just weird
Cheetah - could use a WW villain, plus again more girls

DRTJR

Aug 7, 2009
Etrigan the Demon, Demon knights is doing well. Ra's Al Ghul He's my favorite villain so yay. Vandal Savage, he is always involved with taking over the world in some manner he HAS to be in on it. and Magog from Kingdom come, because I like that story.

Baralak

Dec 9, 2009
Tiamattt said:
Hm, hard to guess without knowing all of the main roster. Guessing a 2 hero and 2 villain formula?

With in mind

Black Adam's already been confirmed.

I do hope Starfire makes it in (hopefully with her and Raven getting some Teen Titans cartoon skins)

Shoggoth2588

Aug 31, 2009
This is the first time I'm really feeling tempted by a season pass and what makes this truly unprecedented is that this is a one-on-one fighting game. Not that I dislike the genre but it's not even in my top 5 but I guess that's the power of nerd-baiting for you!

I'm really curious about what the 4 DLC characters will be but then, I'm not sure if the full roaster has been released quite yet. The listing is robust (even if it does favor the Caped Crusader) but if say, Lobo is a DLC character I'm going to be a bit miffed. I'm going to assume that the rest of the core Titans (well...the popular Titans Changeling/Beast Boy and, Starfire) are going to be shipped as standard characters. Lobo was on the cover they used to tease Deathstroke so I'm really hoping that ensures he'll be a day-one character too.

As for DLC...well it could be anybody! If we get Blue Beetle at all I'm going to assume he'll be DLC (same with Booster Gold and, likely Superboy Prime). I'd love to see Killowog and Gorilla Grodd but there's already 2 lanterns on the day-one line up so that could mean Killowog would have to wait for DLC release whereas Grodd...Grodd should very well be a day-one character: HE'S A SUPER-INTELLIGENT GORILLA AND FLASH VILLAIN!

I'd like to see Dr. Light make it but a bit afraid he'll just want to rape everybody instead of fight them properly...Stupid Identity Crisis...

Alluos

Nov 7, 2010
This is probably the only title where excessive DLC would be very welcome (and appropriate).

Tiamattt

Jul 15, 2011
kyosai7 said:
Tiamattt said:

With in mind

Black Adam's already been confirmed.

I do hope Starfire makes it in (hopefully with her and Raven getting some Teen Titans cartoon skins)
Really? Cause I went to their website before posting and he isn't there. Oh well, good to know. In that case I replace my choice with um....Mr. Freeze? I can hear all the sub zero complaints already. :D

Kmadden2004

Feb 13, 2010
Well, I'm already dropping £60 on the collector's edition, so what's an extra tenner, right? Right?

Hmmmmmm.