Injustice Wii U Lacks Features Of Xbox 360, PS3 Versions [UPDATE]

Earnest Cavalli

Jun 19, 2008
Injustice Wii U Lacks Features Of Xbox 360, PS3 Versions [UPDATE]

Injustice: Gods Among Us made its long-awaited debut yesterday, but if you're planning to buy the game, you may want to purchase it for a non-Nintendo console.

NetherRealm Studios' latest fighter may be its finest effort to date, at least if you're enjoying it on the Xbox 360 or PlayStation 3. Don't get me wrong, the Wii U version of the game seemingly includes all the core gameplay components that make Injustice a very solid fighter, but it seems to lack several features found in its other incarnations.

Most glaring, is word from Siliconera [http://www.siliconera.com/2013/04/16/injustice-for-wii-u-doesnt-support-content-unlocks-with-the-ios-version/] that the Wii U game has no interoperability with the Injustice iOS game. See, the big pull of the iOS title is that by playing it you can unlock content like "exclusive" bonus costumes for use in the Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3 games. No such luck for Wii U owners however.

Further, Giant Bomb's Jeff Gerstmann recently corroborated Siliconera's report while adding word of another missing element in the following tweet [https://twitter.com/jeffgerstmann/statuses/324395558032789504]:

Wii U version of Injustice is missing stuff. No lobby system online (which I think means online practice is gone). Doesn't tie into iOS app.

Unfortunately, we're unable to confirm nor deny these allegations, as we were not sent a Wii U version of the game, despite our attempts to acquire one. Having secured a review copy of the Xbox 360 version of Injustice, I asked Warner Bros. about any differences between the Wii U game and its Xbox 360 counterpart, curious if I should also request a Wii U game for my review. Despite Warner Bros. generally being very quick to reply to all inquiries we send them, I never received any sort of response to that particular question.

If you're wondering why no other news outlets covered these differences before the game was launched, that's pretty simple: Nobody had review copies prior to Injustice's April 16 launch date. The Escapist received two Xbox 360 copies yesterday, and after questioning colleagues at almost every other major gaming site, I determined that everyone was in this same boat. Of course, it wouldn't have mattered if they did, as reviews copies of Injustice came equipped with a non-disclosure agreement which only expired at 6AM on April 16.

We've sent a message off to Warner Bros. asking for clarification on this situation and if there are further differences between the Wii U, Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3 games, and will update when/if the publisher decides to respond.

Update: Warner Bros. has responded to my inquiry, and claims that the lack of a reply to my request for a Wii U review copy of Injustice was simple human error. The company is currently compiling an official response to the rest of this article which will be added just as soon as we receive it.

Source: Polygon [http://www.polygon.com/2013/4/17/4234686/injustice-gods-among-us-on-wii-u-doesnt-support-content-unlocks-with]

SonOfVoorhees

Aug 3, 2011
Doesnt say much for the WiiU. A new console missing stuff that old consoles have. Just makes selling there console a more difficult thing.

As for the game, it looks really good. Im not big on beat em ups but this game does take my fancy.

Jimalcoatl

Jun 21, 2010
Escapist: Hey, if you plan on getting Injustice for the Wii U, don't
Me: Well why not? I like my Wii U and Injustice looks great
Escapist: 'Cause it doesn't have everything
Me: Oh crap, that could be bad... what doesn't it have?
Escapist: Two completely inconsequential features that you wouldn't have used anyway!
Me: ... please stop talking...

Cowabungaa

Feb 10, 2008
Jimalcoatl said:
Escapist: Hey, if you plan on getting Injustice for the Wii U, don't
Me: Well why not? I like my Wii U and Injustice looks great
Escapist: 'Cause it doesn't have everything
Me: Oh crap, that could be bad... what doesn't it have?
Escapist: Two completely inconsequential features that you wouldn't have used anyway!
Me: ... please stop talking...
You might not have used it but lacking the entire online lobby system isn't a minor thing. It does change the online multiplayer experience and seeing that this is a fighting game, that's not something to trivialize.

Dec 14, 2009
The WiiU.

A technically more advanced console than the PS3 and 360.

Still getting shittier versions of games.

I would be sad if I didn't find it so damn hilarious :D

Yopaz

Sarcastic overlord
Jun 3, 2009
j-e-f-f-e-r-s said:
Daystar Clarion said:
The WiiU.

Most Wanted U. Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate. Aliens: Colonial Marines.
Wii U got the better version of Aliens: CM because it was cancelled? Because that's obviously a bigbonus when it comes to that game...

Jimalcoatl

Jun 21, 2010
j-e-f-f-e-r-s said:
Daystar Clarion said:
The WiiU.

Most Wanted U. Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate. Aliens: Colonial Marines.
Tekken Tag Tournament 2 was better on the Wii U than the other two consoles. All the character are available right out of the gate, it supports a huge variety of controller options, has off-screen play and a friendly community on Miiverse. It also has the, granted gimmicky, Nintendo costumes and Mushroom battle mode.

Legion

Were it so easy
Oct 2, 2008
Daystar Clarion said:
The WiiU.

But then they get better versions of the games that people want, such as Deus Ex with fixed bosses.

That's just... mean.

Insertclevername

Apr 17, 2013
Not to mention Ninja Gaiden 3, which is far superior on the Wii U than it's competitors (thanks to Team Ninja reworking a lot of things for the re release).

Dec 14, 2009
Legion said:
Daystar Clarion said:
The WiiU.

But then they get better versions of the games that people want, such as Deus Ex with fixed bosses.

That's just... mean.
You mean the better version a game that came out 2 years ago?

Yeah, colour me unimpressed :D

Legion

Were it so easy
Oct 2, 2008
Daystar Clarion said:
Legion said:
Daystar Clarion said:
The WiiU.

That's just... mean.
You mean the better version a game that came out 2 years ago?

Yeah, colour me unimpressed :D
Elitism! I call elitism!

On a more serious note, you have a point, it's not exactly something to sell your console on. Although it's still a pain.

I always wonder why developers try out new things with consoles, but never seem to go with the obvious direction. If they had given the Wii-U a normal controller as well as the fancy one, you could use it for co-op games quite easily. For example in a shooting game, you could have player 1 controlling the main character normally, while player two has the fancy screen gizmo to control airstrikes/drones/bots/turrets or something.

OldNewNewOld

Mar 2, 2011
Earnest Cavalli
They should make the name of the author more visible in the front page so that I can easier skip over Cavalli's articles.

And even if we assume that that's true, the WiiU version has the Nintendo d-pad support, which makes it automatically the best version... well, okay. Maybe not the best, but certainly better than the 360 version.

Jimalcoatl

Jun 21, 2010
Maybe if they spent less time trying to make gimmicks and more time trying to make consoles.
I agree, giving just the Gamepad with the base set wasn't a great idea. The Wii U has a ton of controller options (all the ones from the original Wii as well as the touch screen and their new pro controller), but getting them all is a huge cost investment. I don't think that's a good excuse for developers to ignore the console though. How hard is it to integrate controls for both the game pad and pro controller? And just cause there is a touch screen doesn't mean you have to use it.

Nintendo does seem to have realized how important having a non-gimmick controller is though, as there is one included in their new Zombi U deluxe console bundle.

Edit: Quoted the wrong post originally.

Rad Party God

Party like it's 2010!
Feb 23, 2010
Well... I'm not advocating for the WiiU or anything, but seriously, if I'd have one, I wouldn't care less for a shitty iOS version for a couple of new colors and as for the online play... well, I'm not a fan of playing fighting games online anyways.

BrotherRool

Oct 31, 2008
Well now the Wii U can't even claim to be the platform for playing slightly better versions of games that the other consoles had years ago