Innovation and the First Person Shooter

PedroSteckecilo

Mexican Fugitive
Feb 7, 2008
Are there any innovations that can be introduced to the FPS genre anymore? Or are we going to be stuck with Halo clones till the end of days. What are your thoughts on this?

Rabid Toilet

Mar 23, 2008
Of course there are innovations, it's just that no one cares enough to think of them as long as Halo clones are making embarrassing amounts of money.

Kogarian

Feb 24, 2008
There are definately more innovations, it's just that no one thought them up yet...or at the least, they never presented it in a FPS.

WingedFortress

Detective
Feb 5, 2008
BLAH! Look at your arms. Now at your feet. Kick them a little. Slap your knee. Now freestyle. Do anything you want. Go on, get a little nuts. Mabye break something, cause a disturbance.

See? Lots of room for innovation.

sammyfreak

Dec 5, 2007
Calling Assassin's Creed "FREAKING UNBELIEVABLY GOOD" makes you seem rather insane in my book. But i definately hope to se alot more games use it's control scheme.

BlackWatch

Feb 13, 2008
Heres an FPS innovation, dont shoot the bad guys, shoot at monkeys ... with eye patches! theres a new gimmick in every game but who cares i play them to blow shit up and shoot people in the face so what if i can now destroy specifically designed bits of scenery with which to reach said moments of insanity, or cause them all the more beautifully, end of the day people are gonna die, its gonna be fun, you should be asking why are we all so primal and sick as to still go out and buy these clones just for all the death and pain we cause, we make me sick....?!

JakubK666

Jan 1, 2008
durge said:
2long2read
Actually AC got heavily bashed by the community just because it was innovative and experimental.

As for FPS's - Half-Life,Halo,Goldeneye,Half-Life 2.
The only four that shaped the genre.The rest are just rip-offs.

Copter400

Sep 14, 2007
JakubK666 said:
Actually AC got heavily bashed by the community just because it was innovative and experimental.

As for FPS's - Half-Life,Halo,Goldeneye,Half-Life 2.
The only four that shaped the genre.The rest are just rip-offs.
Now hold up. They did a lot for gameplay, but you're forgetting SS2 and Bioshock, F.E.A.R, TF2 and many others.

BlackWatch

Feb 13, 2008
See now thats an FPS attitude ^^
No time to waste reading books or learning stuff, just point and fire and its dead who needs innovation! ... though i excuse the gravity gun just on principal

FujinAkari

Jan 5, 2008
I think Duke Nukem shaped the genre as well... seeing as it was like... the game that defined the Genre.

Doom did quite a bit too :p

innocent42

Nov 3, 2007
Jakub- You forgot Quake and Doom as defining FPSs, though modern FPS games don't have a whole lot in common with them.

I personally think that AC looks totally awesome. I've never played it, but I like a game that doesn't drive you forward all the time. I see a lot of complaining about the eavesdropping and pickpocketing missions, but I wouldn't mind doing a few of those. I think the fact that there is a game where one of the assigned tasks is to sit on a bench is a great thing. I also like freeroaming. I don't care if there are only a few flags to find, I would rather just climb around on the roofs and enjoy those beautiful graphics and animations. There are so few games that offer things like that kind of experience I have to hand to Ubisoft Montreal just for trying to break the mold. Maybe it wasn't flawless, but if it inspires a new sub-genera for open-world games that doesn't slavishly follow the GTA paradigm, I'll like it for that alone.

Lord_Jaroh

Ad-Free Finally!
Apr 24, 2007
There's innovation in FPS's?

Aside from very few FPS's, I see pretty much the same game in every single one except "this one has an awesome fisix engine!!!! Roxor!"

I dunno. I have yet to see one that wows me and there are very few I would consider "fun to play". FPS's now = Fighting games in the 90's except that some fighting games are great to play...

Mar 26, 2008
BlackWatch said:
Heres an FPS innovation, dont shoot the bad guys, shoot at monkeys ... with eye patches!
Been done - Timesplitters FP ;-)

I think there is heaps that can still be done; the whole intro credits section of CoD4 and the nuclear level really hammered home to me how the first person perspective can be used to add further drama and immersion.

Mr. Bubbles

Sep 27, 2007
shadow skill said:
Mr. Bubbles said:
Of course there's room for innovation in the genre. Haven't you played Portal?
You mean Prey an actual shooter that was Portal before Portal existed.
Gee, witty. I'd say that I obviously did not mean that, but I doubt you'd care. I'd continue with the fact that Portal and Prey were nothing alike, but again, I doubt you'd care.

Pseudonym2

Mar 31, 2008
I'd still like to see a first person shooter where instead of getting weapons or health each time an enemy is killed, instead have the character go crazier and crazier with guilt until they start hallucinating eternal darkness style.

P.S. Does Condemned count as a revolutionary FPS?

shadow skill

Oct 12, 2007
Hmm you walk through portals in Prey to get to different rooms, sounds alike to me. I frankly disagree with the very idea that Portal is innovative at all since I have actually played Prey. Prey even played with perspective making enemies appear giant until they came through tthe portals to actually kill you. Interestingly enough Portal is not an FPS in the first place, so that wouldn't even answer the OP's question. Saying Portal is an FPS is like saying Oblivion or Arx fatalis are FPS'.

Psuedonym:I'd say Condemned is perhaps closer to Resident Evil style survival horror than an FPS from what little I have played of it.