Insane Nintendo Fan Recreates Super Mario Bros. 3 in New SMB

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Insane Nintendo Fan Recreates Super Mario Bros. 3 in New SMB

One dedicated Mario fan has recreated the levels of the legendary Super Mario Bros. 3 in New Super Mario Bros. for the DS.

Among long-time gamers, Super Mario Bros. 3 is considered by many to be one of the finest videogames ever made. A dedicated fan of Nintendo's iconic series has spent quite a bit of time transposing the levels from the classic SMB3 to a decidedly new-school format on the DS - as you can see in this almost-15-minute trailer here to the right.

It isn't just SMB3 that gets the New Super Mario Bros. treatment, either - this fan remake also contains levels from SMB2, Super Mario World, and even Metroid. This just makes me wonder how exactly Mario would handle a battle against Ridley, but that's what Super Smash Bros. is for, isn't it?

Given that this is a patch for the Nintendo DS title, which requires A.) an emulator or B.) a flashcart that supports such things, the legality of this is, shall we say, a bit questionable - and on the YouTube page containing the trailer [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nd2gtBhgwQM], its creator recognizes this, exhorting people to only download this patch if they have a legitimate copy of New Super Mario Bros..

Possible legal issues aside, I don't think any of us can say that this isn't impressive in its own way. This is clearly a labor of love for someone who really loves Mario as a series and Super Mario Bros. 3 as an iconic part of videogame culture.

I'm a bit bummed that it seems to just be the SMB3 levels with none of the classic powerups - the shoe, man, the shoe! - but really, you can only do so much if you're modding a game like this, right? It's a nice piece of work as it is.

Nice going, Mr. Mario Fan. Here's hoping that Nintendo doesn't bring its Hammer Bros. legal team down on your head.

(Via VG247 [http://www.vg247.com/2010/11/11/super-mario-bros-3-fan-remake-is-finished-mental/])

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
Which of these news posts is the real one? I like the one with "insane" in the title better.

Anyway, I got rid of my copy of NSMB a long time ago.

Hard to believe that "New" is already rather old. It's been, what, 3-5 years now?

kurokotetsu

Proud Master
Sep 17, 2008
Yeah, it would suck to be crushed after so much work. But I worry that NSMB powerups and techniques (wall jumping,etc.) mat change the way the game is played. The level design of this game is great, but it was done considering a certain set of moves and while most of them are still in there, the new ones may break a level. It still is an impressive fan work.

SomebodyNowhere

Dec 9, 2009
If you can get through the horrible music at the begining of the video it is a pretty good watch. I was never good at wall jumping in the original Mario games so all the jumping that is going on in the video seems like it would increase the difficulty dramatically.

Jiefu

May 24, 2010
Seems like a lot of work, but some of those levels just look like they're NES style challenges - that is, making you repeat the same task so many times that a 95% success rate will still usually fail. That kind of stuff is the wrong kind of challenge. With 10% of the amount of repetitions, the skill is still tested, but with that many, it just leads to swearing and frustration.

The Rockerfly

Dec 31, 2008
Isn't this quite funny

Nintendo constantly gets mocked for not letting franchises die and even fans ask for something new. Then lo and behold something like this gets made

Lunatics. Impressive but still lunatics

Kevlar Eater

Sep 27, 2009
I bet Nintendo would stoop as low as to slap a cease-and-desist threat on the fan and his work, then mimic the idea.

Electrogecko

Apr 15, 2010
Omfg some of these new levels look awesome!
If there was a Mario game filled with nothing but these extreme challenges, I would totally buy it!
They really need to put a level editor and sharing feature in the next game.

Unhappy Crow

Mar 14, 2010
That is some impressive work. First, we have Sonic remakes (that Sega is somewhat jealous of), and now we have SMB 3 in NSMB graphics/gameplay. Looking atthe whole 15 minutes, there are some hard stages that'll give me a hard time. The name should've been New Super Mario Bros Hell: Bowser's Mindfuck.

Man, I wish I could play this game, but I don't think I have the proper tools to play it. Oh well. Still looks cool though. And HARD AS NAILS!

Oh and another thing...it's funny that YouTube is full of idiots that can't read the description box. They keep asking when and where to get the game.

Alar

The Stormbringer
Dec 1, 2009
No flying? Dangit, I was really hoping for a flying power-up. Even so, I own a DS and the game, so I might download this beast. Looks fun!

Fruitloops89

Feb 20, 2009
Hell at one point I forgot this was a New Super Mario Bros hacked to be like Super Mario Bros 3. All the extra content makes it seem like a brand new game with nostalgia levels as extras.

Optimystic

Sep 24, 2008
Hammer & Hammer P.A. will be knocking on this guy's door soon.

I really hope he was smart enough not to put the download link on Youtube...

Hayate_GT

Mar 6, 2010
can't remember the last time i watched a youtube video that long...but that was damn good...
also can anyone tell me the name of the very 1st song that was playing...?