'[Insert genre I don't like] isn't real music'!

Trollhoffer

Jan 2, 2013
Question:

Is sheet music that has never been played "real music"? Or is it merely "conceptual music"?

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
TopazFusion said:
IamQ said:
Oh man, does anyone have a link to the "dubstep is not music" thread with the guy who said he knew this because of some text book he read?
This thread?

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/18.385982-Do-you-hate-people-who-argue-till-they-are-blue-in-the-face-even-though-you-know-they-are-wrong

The OP made that thread after getting upset in another thread (link included in the above thread, post number 6)
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/18.385559-Poll-Dubstep-Music-or-not-music?page=8#15347730 dont forget where the idiocy started! (go along and count how many times he called me stupid or retarded)

emeraldrafael

Jul 17, 2010
Different strokes for different blokes?

now if the argument is quality, then yes, that has taken a major downturn, but preference does not always follow logic and science.

ScrabbitRabbit

Elite Member
Mar 27, 2012
Vault101 said:
TopazFusion said:
IamQ said:
Oh man, does anyone have a link to the "dubstep is not music" thread with the guy who said he knew this because of some text book he read?
This thread?

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/18.385982-Do-you-hate-people-who-argue-till-they-are-blue-in-the-face-even-though-you-know-they-are-wrong

The OP made that thread after getting upset in another thread (link included in the above thread, post number 6)
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/18.385559-Poll-Dubstep-Music-or-not-music?page=8#15347730 dont forget where the idiocy started! (go along and count how many times he called me stupid or retarded)
Oh, fuck, I remember that thread. There was a guy in it who tried to claim that using Music 2000 on the PS1 was the same as using a professional DAW.

xplosive59

Jul 20, 2009
Everything from Field Recordings to Drone is music, any form of noise arranged in a pattern is music, Merzbow writes music. Sunn O))) writes music. Skrillex writes music. People who don't understand this should not be in any form for intellectual conversation about music.

xplosive59

Jul 20, 2009
Trollhoffer said:
Question:

Is sheet music that has never been played "real music"? Or is it merely "conceptual music"?
Beck released an album in the mid-90's I think that was just sheet music, so yeah it counts. Music is an art form, and sheet music is a way of expressing that art form.

Feb 22, 2009
'It's just noise! You know, noise, organised into a specific arrangement to create what we call music! But it's just noise!' Yeah, this argument really annoys me too. Just because it's not what you're used to/what you enjoy doesn't mean you get to narrow the definition of music so that it isn't included.

xplosive59

Jul 20, 2009
Vault101 said:
TopazFusion said:
IamQ said:
This thread?

Jesus, for a guy that has studied music he sure as hell knows nothing at all about it. The entire concepts of music were destroyed before electronic music even existed properly, listen to this:

Made with actual instruments, instruments playing in different tempos, instruments in different keys playing at the same time, is nowhere near as tuneful as the majority of electronic music but is it music? Yes of course it's goddamn music?! You may not like it but it is music, that guy was a class A pleb and I'm glad you didn't stand for him spewing bullshit.

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
xplosive59 said:
that guy was a class A pleb and I'm glad you didn't stand for him spewing bullshit.
looking back over that argument I'm almost amazed at how rational and level headed I remained....I've probably been getting more antagonist latley but god damn I'm surprised I didnt spew more bile

thesilentman

What this
Jun 14, 2012
Froggy Slayer said:
Can someone explain to me how this happens, where people come out of the woodwork to proclaim that by some divine proclamation dubstep/rap/death metal 'don't count' as music?
It's...!

Drumroll please!

People having strong opinions! So strong that they forget that music is art. Now, what's the definition of art? :-D

Nigh Invulnerable

Jan 5, 2009
I'll admit that certain artists push "music" into some strange directions (Merzbow, Sunn 0))), John Zorn, Captain Beefheart, etc.) but no matter how unpleasant sounding or discordant they get, they're still music. Taste does not dictate what is or is not music in a general sense.

I have no idea why so many people crawl out of the woodwork with the OP's statements though. I guess it's just "Hey, we both don't like the same thing! Lets commiserate and whine about it!"

Twilight_guy

Sight, Sound, and Mind
Nov 24, 2008
They may take our logical arguments, but they will never take our NO TRUE SCOTSMAN FALLACY!

When people don't like something they some times try to belittle it. Claiming its not 'real' is one way of belittling it without actually having to find any fault with it.

Nouw

Mar 18, 2009
Music, being an artform, can be anything. Now go listen to 4'33" by John Cage.

AnarchistFish

Jul 25, 2011
Because people are idiots. It especially pisses me off regarding dubstep cos generally the people who attack it do so based on them not knowing or researching even the basics of the genre and just go off what they think they know of it in passing.

Tuesday Night Fever said:
I'll admit I've yet to hear an example of dubstep, rap, or death metal that I actually like - and I'm unlikely to bother giving them any more chances by choice. But I'm not going to say none of it is music just because I don't like it. That's absurd.
Have you heard Burial yet? With dubstep, everyone always falls back on Burial

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
AnarchistFish said:
Vault101 said:
Zeke63 said:
is pretty cool

...thats what you ment right?
I'm curious, what part or parts of dubstep do you listen to? Cos it's pretty varied.
to be fair I'm generally not big on dubstep (too much brostep crap, Skrillex's novelty wore off afer about 5 minutes) though there are a number of tracks I like

[spoiler/][/spoiler]

BENZOOKA

This is the most wittiest title
Oct 26, 2009
There are only two things that are infinite, and the one out of those we can be more certain about, offers the answer in itself.

Petromir

Apr 10, 2010
I tend to go by a quality standard for wether something is music or not, and dont actually set the bar that high.

Anyone who's heard me depress piano keys in an attempt to play a classical piece on it would say it wasn't music.

For many genres however theres an issue as they often require a more tuned ear to tell a bad example technically from a good example. I know very few people, even among the subeset of friends who hate it that can't tell awful classical from great classical. Conversely even among those who like heavy metal have a harder time distinguishing bad from good, and apart from a select few exceptionally musical people those who dont like it cant at all.

Note likeing something is not the same as thinking its any good. In the film world the classic is Judge Dredd, I know a large number of people who enjoy watching the movie, but no-one who thinks its a good movie. Many people however have a difficulty distinguishing the difference between liking something and whats actually a good example, and even those with some talent get it wrong.