Insert the first line of 'Basket Case' here - A review of Green Day Rock Band

tlozoot

Feb 8, 2010
Hi, before I begin with the review, let me introduce myself. I'm currently a student in the UK, going into his second year of studying Literature and Writing. This summer I thought I'd keep my hand in writing by talking about the games I was playing. This is the first review I wrote, and as I'm hoping to perhaps enter the industry as some kind of writer in the future, I thought I'd put some of my stuff out there to build up a portfolio of work. As such I'd be very grateful for any advise and constructive criticism you guys can offer. I'm hoping to continue to post my work on these forums, which includes both reviews and articles.

Green Day Rock Band

A treat for fans of Green Day and the rhythm game genre as a whole, but there's very little here which couldn't have been done with downloadable songs, or a track pack.

I'm quite weary of band-centric games. Not only does it scream 'cash-cow' but also because it's essentially your token rhythm game with a much more limited scope. Let's get to the point: if you like Green Day, and you enjoy music rhythm games, then you'll probably like this. Outside these niches the game really doesn't supply enough of anything else to persuade others to join the plastic rock party.

Harmonix's first attempt at a band-centric music game - Beatles Rock Band - was something that stood out. It took a band with a huge following, and a huge catalogue and made up for the lack of variety by going balls-out on the presentation. Beatles Rock Band was an excellent interactive tribute to the fantastic four.

Green Day Rock Band is something slightly underwhelming in comparison. It's obvious that the same care and attention hasn't been given to Green Day as was given to The Beatles, and if this is because Harmonix believes Green Day aren't as worthy of their own game as The Beatles were, then it's hard to see this as anything but a cash-in.

The menus and loading screens are inspired by the bands artistic direction - graffiti, grime, radio static and falling bombs - but when it comes to the actual performances, there's nothing but the standard motion-capture of Billie, Tre' and Mike doing their thing on stage, which seems like a missed opportunity given the narrative of some of their albums. There are only three venues on offer - The Warehouse, Milton Keynes and The Fox Theatre - Oakland. Out of these three, Milton Keynes - venue for their Bullet In a Bible DVD - offers the best spectacle, with pyrotechnics and crowd interaction bringing the songs to life more so than the other two venues.

The game gives you the entirety of Dookie, American Idiot, and the rest of 21st Centruy Breakdown that wasn't already released to the Rock Band platform via downloadable content. It's a nice mix of music, with their earlier, more energetic and frenetic material offering a good variety against the slower, more melodic tracks of 21st Century Breakdown and American Idiot. In addition to the full albums, there are some of the more popular tracks from Insomniac, Nimrod and Warning, basically ensuring that all but perhaps a few of your favourite Green Day tracks are on the disc.

The point of band-centric rhythm games (apart from the obligatory money spinning) has been to provide fans with a digital library of media that they can plonk along to a fake set of drums, or tap along to on an over-sized guitar toy thing. Likewise, Green Day Rock Band offers you a variety of pictures and performance videos, as well as back stage footage, in addition to the band's music. It's something to tickle the interest of the hardcore Green Day fan, but doesn't do much to embellish the game experience.

When it comes to actually playing along to Green Day's library, the gameplay id all there and accounted for. It's the standard rhythm game affair: notes come tumbling down the highway and you have to strum the guitar or hit the drum pad in time to the notes hitting the bar at the foot of the track. The gameplay is immediately recognizable to anyone who has played any Rock Band or Guitar Hero game and it works as well here as it's ever done, with such added features as vocal harmonies, a countdown into the track after you pause and no-fail mode being availalble immediately before you begin playing. Something you'll presumably be wondering is just how much fun you'll have playing along to the songs, and to be honest it's probably directly proportionate to how much you enjoy Green Day as a band.

The guitar has little in the way of variety, with the easier songs requiring no more than plucking a few notes, and the hardest tracks being all about quick strumming and fast chord-changes, but you don't go to Amsterdam for the food, and you sure as hell don't listen to Green Day for sexy guitar licks. Likewise the bass parts are mostly simple, though the harder tracks have a nice bit of movement in them to keep you at least mildly entertained should you be beaten to the guitar part by your friends.

The vocals too are dependent on how well and how much you enjoy the songs, but are especially fun should you decide to do like Billie-Joe and attempt them at the same time as the guitar. For someone who ranks American Idiot among his favourite albums (possibly due to nostalgia more than anything else...) singing into the microphone while playing on guitar was a lot of fun because the lyrics were already there in my head.

But if you're a difficulty-whore and have so far been unimpressed by what I've described as mostly easy gameplay, then you'll be pleased to hear that the drums are a good challenge. Tre's parts aren't overly technical, but the beats contain enough movement to keep them fresh, and the fills are fast, passionate and often very difficult. None of it is likely to fail a veteran player, but plenty of the drum charts will present just enough of a challenge for you to enjoy.

So Green Day Rock Band is a functional game that does quite well for itself if you're a fan of the band. The tracks will make a good addition to your wider Rock Band library should you opt to pay a little extra to export them to your hard-drive, and they'll no doubt entertain when you play with friends. The problem is that this really doesn't feel like a cohesive experience. The songs are there, yes, but not doing anything more ambitious with them - especially seeing as two of the featured albums are 'rock operas' - is really missing an opportunity, and makes the entire game just feel like a glorified track pack, rather than a full, stand-alone experience.

Visuals: 3/5 - Good art direction in the menus, but not doing more with the poignant artistic direction of the band is a big letdown.
Sound: 5/5 - For fans of the band this will be the best soundtrack possible and Green Day's library has a nice amount of contrast.
Gameplay: 3/5 - The rhythm game formula is here and well, but the charts often don't present enough variety to make it fun for too long, with only the drums being worthy of mention.

Overall: 72/100 - Green Day's music, while not perfectly suited to the rhythm game genre, is nicely varied over the course of their albums. Yet with only three venues and no greater artistic interpretation of their music, this package really doesn't offer enough value for money to anyone other than hardcore Green Day fans, or avid followers of the Rock Band platform.

Andronicus

Terror Australis
Mar 25, 2009
I liked it, the review I mean. I haven't played Green Day Rock Band before, but I can't imagine it being any different from any other rhythm game I've ever played. I had a Green Day phase several years ago, but any lingering nostalgia is nowhere near enough motivation to make me buy this. I got the Beatles Rock Band 1) because it's the Beatles, and the Beatles are awesome, but also 2) because it stood out from the the rest of the rhythm game genre, offering not only the opportunity to play along to the Beatles catalogue, but an unmatched, unique visual experience to boot, one that gave it truckloads of personality. The Beatles Rock Band is the only one I need.

To be honest, I wouldn't have picked a rhythm game as my first choice of reviews, but that's entirely up to you. Your writing style is very versatile and informative, and shreds of your personality trickle through into the text, which is nice to see. Also, at the risk of sounding like a ten year old with ADD, a few pictures would be welcome :) Sorry to say I don't have any constructive criticism for you (my ability to analyse other's writing and offer helpful feedback is a little lacking), but I wish you all the best in your course, I welcome you to the Escapist, of course (don't feed the trolls :p), and I look forward to more reviews.

Stranger of Sorts

Individual #472
Aug 23, 2009
It's weird that you are very broad and then suddenly very precise at the end, it doesn't really work for me. Also, things like "Let's get to the point" completely butcher the flow and such a precise scoring system is a tad silly. I mean, depending on a few things a game that scores 71 might have been more enjoyable than one that scored 78. The second game just ticked more boxes; get what I'm saying?

Anyway, besides that it was well written and I think that your reviews will be fantastic once you settle into things. On the behalf of the review section (I'm probably not allowed to say that, but everyone else would say the same), welcome to t'Scapist.

tlozoot

Feb 8, 2010
Thanks for the replies.

I've also written reviews on Geometry Wars 2, Bioshock 2 and Red Dead Redemption. I chose this one to post first simply because I didn't have enough time to proof-read the others enough on account of my laptop charger being 200 miles away. Luckily it's back now so I'll probably post one of the bulkier ones up soon.

To SoS - I'll agree with you on the 'Let's get down to the point' point, but what do you mean about being broad/precise? I didn't think I was talking particularly vaguely most the way through, and the last paragraph was me trying to articulate what I felt the game was lacking. How would you suggest I handle it?

On the scoring system front, I understand what you're saying, but I was working on the assumption that 3/5 = mediocre and average and that 5/5 = perfect for its purpose. The overall score was admitedly a 'pin the tail on the donkey' excercise though. How would you suggest I go about breaking down and awarding scores, if at all?

Thanks for the welcome and the criticism, though. =)

Stranger of Sorts

Individual #472
Aug 23, 2009
tlozoot said:
[sub]For future use: press "quote" instead of "reply" so the other person gets a message about it, it was only chance that I came back to this review[/sub]

Throughout the review you took your time with all the sections but right at the end you condensed the last three into one sentence each. I found it confusing that's all.

Funnily enough, you don't need a score at all. In fact, don't think any of the "regulars" around here use them at all. Probably because it could mean your review is skipped over for the number or that there shouldn't need to be one as your review should give an idea of how good the game (or whatever you're reviewing) is.

My advice is to keep the vague scores out of 5 if you want to, but loose the end one entirely. After all, people value each section differently so you can let them make their mind up if {for example) bad graphics will affect whether they get the game.