Inside the Sick Mind of a School Shooter Mod

CheckD3

Dec 9, 2009
I have to admit that the interviewie at least deserves credit for sticking up for the game, because that's one thing the game industry lacks

However, the subject matter in hand is just...why?

Comparing the game to Bulletstorm upon reflection seems like a bad comparason. Yes, the game's story isn't that strong and the dialog is crude, but you're fighting humanoids who can at least fight back and intending harm upon you. The chaos is a different matter, and comes in, you could argue, self-defense, as the locals start conflict before you do (no including the attack on the Ulysses and the flashback at the begging of the game). And it also somewhat deals w/ the innocents being killed. A game where you invoke violence upon innocence meant to be a form of fun, in a form of entertainment that is fighting to be taken seriously is not only a crushing kick to the testicles, but a blatant disregard to those who are effected.

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
MrJKapowey said:
Wow, just WOW. Why would you do this? It will allow all those 'games make you a psycho' gits to actually have something which has you playing as a realistic psycho, with realistic weapons, in a realistic setting - killing innocent people.
You have played GTA IV, haven't you? Or any of them for that matter.

I'm not defending this guy, but that's a rather loose description you're giving. Its in extremely poor taste, but you could argue that about plenty of games if you really wanted.

Sniper Team 4

Apr 28, 2010
Holy. Shit.

This person is sick. You know why the media "overplayed" the drama of some crazy idiots murdering innocent people? You know why the shooters are made out to be monsters? Because the shooters are monsters and having innocent people--children especially--get gunned down is dramatic and sad. This guy is...words cannot describe his failure as a human being.

Fingerthing

Mar 19, 2010
This just feels... wrong. Just wrong. If we are going to grow as a medium stuff like, well, like THIS must stop! I mean, if we as a gaming community consider this to be wrong, what will the conservative soccer moms that watch fox news think of it?

Dogstile

Jan 17, 2009
KeyMaster45 said:
This guy and his game are an absolute threat to the industry as a whole.
Wait what? Have you seen what games come out of flash portals 24/7? They're much worse than this. The only think that makes this stand out is it actually seems to have some production quality in it.

Furioso

Jun 16, 2009
dogstile said:
Seriously? Inside the "sick" mind of a school shooter mod? I'm guessing you're slightly biased against this guy.

I agree with most of his points. Not about why he wanted to make it, because that's just silly, but his answers to your questions. I mean, it was hilarious that people were going on about how they wanted to kill Jack Thompson and its brilliant that he sticks by his idea of what a game should be. He wants the game to be a mindless shooting game that's rude and offensive and where you kill people, and do you know what?

That is absolutely fine

More power to him. At least he's sticking by his ideals as a person, and these ideals aren't truly hurting anyone. The man gets a respect five from me.
Oh yea a game that taunts the victims of the mass murder of children is harmless, not to mention all the damage this will cause for the games industry, hes just handing ammo to those people who say video games are detestable, yea thats TOTALLY fine

Dogstile

Jan 17, 2009
Furioso said:
dogstile said:
Seriously? Inside the "sick" mind of a school shooter mod? I'm guessing you're slightly biased against this guy.

I agree with most of his points. Not about why he wanted to make it, because that's just silly, but his answers to your questions. I mean, it was hilarious that people were going on about how they wanted to kill Jack Thompson and its brilliant that he sticks by his idea of what a game should be. He wants the game to be a mindless shooting game that's rude and offensive and where you kill people, and do you know what?

That is absolutely fine

More power to him. At least he's sticking by his ideals as a person, and these ideals aren't truly hurting anyone. The man gets a respect five from me.
Oh yea a game that taunts the victims of the mass murder of children is harmless, not to mention all the damage this will cause for the games industry, hes just handing ammo to those people who say video games are detestable, yea thats TOTALLY fine
No, it doesn't taunt the victims. Its not like he's going up to the family's and going "hello there, here, I made this game, you should play it, its really fun!" and running off giggling.

Hell, he's not even part of the game industry. I used the same argument above. Go onto newgrounds, look at the flash portal after a major event. This happens all the time, the only reason this one is "different" is because it has some production quality.

So yes its totally fine. If he was being a prick about it and laughing in the face of every victims family it wouldn't be, but he's not. He's making a brainless shooter with a points system.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
Greg Tito said:
Inside the Sick Mind of a School Shooter Mod

Checkerboarded Studios set out to make a game in which you shoot schoolchildren for fun and succeeded only in offending everyone.

You're going to have to fix that now.

JourneyThroughHell

Sep 21, 2009
I would say something about this guy, but I'm pretty sure that will get me suspended.

And I would say something about people defending him, but I don't want to pick fights.

All I have to say is:
I think the media tried to cover it in a way that made the events more dramatic than they actually were. Even in my younger age, I saw right through most of it. The way the news victimized the victims and overplayed the evil of the shooters disgusted me more than the actual shootings themselves.
That's a horrible point of view to take. Utterly sickening.

MrJKapowey

Oct 31, 2010
Woodsey said:
MrJKapowey said:
Wow, just WOW. Why would you do this? It will allow all those 'games make you a psycho' gits to actually have something which has you playing as a realistic psycho, with realistic weapons, in a realistic setting - killing innocent people.

I'm not defending this guy, but that's a rather loose description you're giving. Its in extremely poor taste, but you could argue that about plenty of games if you really wanted.
Sorry, I meant 'killing innocent children'.

Oilerfan92

Mar 5, 2010
He kinda brings up enough of a point to keep this just under the "pure evil" line.

They don't seem to be doing this to make fun of the events or insulting the people involved. Just simply, they seem to be making it in a "why the hell not" mentality.

He brings up a really good point at the end. Something like this isn't going to cause someone to go crazy. There has to be other issues going on.

manythings

Nov 7, 2009
dogstile said:

That is absolutely fine

Edit:

As a point of interest. I wonder how many of you would mind so much if it was shooting monsters for points before the big bad boss monsters killed you?

And as pointed out below, I wonder how many of you were ok with Call of Juarez but not ok with this?
Because if anything ever proved true in the universe it's that content is never impacted by context. Nope, never ever ever.

It's attention seeking trollery, he's the same kind of guy who would shout ****** in a black neighbour because it's important to exercise his right to free speech. Yawn and move on.

Bretty

Jul 15, 2008
I will never play it, mods are not my thing.

But he made some very good points regarding the industry and users as a whole.

I like the bit about gamers being worse sensationalists than the media and pulling their epeen out the second someone disagrees with their opinions. He is dead on correct with this and the one reason why I am a member of so few online communities. If I dont know you personally, I dont really care about your opinion, but I wont tell you this on a forum as it is disrespectful and rude.

Howard Kuo

Jan 12, 2011
The fact is the subject matter clearly crosses a line and only the subject matter. Consider the countless number of games that have us kill Nazis and Japanese etc. Really think what we are reacting to. Is this kind of gameplay no different than slaughtering as many zombies as you can before the timer runs out (RE4).
Unfortunately, this is cannon fodder for anti-game sentiments but the developers have a right to make a game like this. The same way 6 days in Falujah had a right to be made. (but wasn't) It is sad that we as gamers are already viewed in such a poor light. At the very least, this could have been a great satire.

OniaPL

Nov 9, 2010
I wouldn't have a problem with this if I didn't know that this will bite the whole industry in the ass, sooner or later.

Daniel Stoneback

Oct 30, 2010
Does he have the right to make something like this... yes.

Should he make something like this... NO.

As of late, the heat has been pretty heavy for video games. This is something that could tarnish the whole industry. Someone claiming to be a video game developer should have the sense to see what will happen when the media and parents get ahold of this news. Others in this industry are trying to raise video games up as a true form of art and this is just pulling them down. This is a sick idea to have fun. Anyone can claim they have the right to do something like this but common sense has to come into play at some point.

The industry along with gamers should rally to separate themselves from this ASAP.

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
MrJKapowey said:
Woodsey said:
MrJKapowey said:

Sorry, I meant 'killing innocent children'.
Oh of course, the world ends as soon as you kill a pretend one of those.

I take it you were massively offended by the FO3 mod that lets you go postal in Little Lamplight then (as well as letting you kill any other children you find in the wasteland, obviously)?