Inside the Sick Mind of a School Shooter Mod

Greg Tito

PR for Dungeons & Dragons
Sep 29, 2005
Inside the Sick Mind of a School Shooter Mod

Checkerboarded Studios set out to make a game in which you shoot schoolchildren for fun and succeeded only in offending everyone.

EHKOS

Madness to my Methods
Feb 28, 2010
Sounds fun, if only to give the middle finger to society.
EDIT: Now that I've actually seen the trailer...I felt sick. And I never feel sick about this stuff. I think this is wrong. And I laugh at 9\11 jokes. Maybe it's because I never knew anybody, but still this is disturbing. I can see trying to make it educational but it's doing it wrong. This is just sick.

MrJKapowey

Oct 31, 2010
Wow, just WOW. Why would you do this? It will allow all those 'games make you a psycho' gits to actually have something which has you playing as a realistic psycho, with realistic weapons, in a realistic setting - killing innocent people.

SinisterGehe

May 19, 2009
Guys got a point!.. But the way making it is questionable.
The subject in question lately has been one of those questions that are taboos, you simply aren't allowed to talk about them. If you star a conversation like this, you get instantly stigmatized as a sick person. I get the point why he wanted tp create something like this, hell I would defend hes right to create something like this. He has the right and it shouldn't be denied. But I think this will just give more fuel to fox and Conservative parties around the world.

Indeed this can be dangerous thing to do. But simply: He has right and means to do it. The responsibility of playing the game comes down to the player itself.

I wouldn't ban or delete this game, He has the damn right to create a game like this to tackle on the problems of the society. Or is it banned to point flaws in western civilization? Is it the 2nd Cold war again, but this time we are missing 2nd party in it.

Lordmarkus

Jun 6, 2009
His arguments and responses are sound but creating such a mod are just wrong. Horribly wrong.

GundamSentinel

The leading man, who else?
Aug 23, 2009
Now I'm very liberal when it comes to subjects you can address in a game, but this is the first time I think a studio has crossed the line into what really serves no other purpose than being provocative. This is just stupid and ultimately bad for the games business.

SinisterGehe

May 19, 2009
Lordmarkus said:
His arguments and responses are sound but creating such a mod are just wrong. Horribly wrong.
But he still has the right to do it. You can not deny it. He has right to reflect this subject with hes own mean and has right to publish it. Should we ban people thinking about School violence in internet blocks because they might give someone ideas.

Note: I am not defending the game, I am defending the right to create one.

TheAmazingHobo

Oct 26, 2010
Reading the interview, the dev appears to have some rather strong opinions about video games and the people who play them. Which is okay and his personal buisness.

He, however, also appears to be COMPLETLY incapable of reflection, considering other peoples viewpoints and emotions or even that he may actually be WRONG about something.

I.e. EXACTLY the type of person who could make such a game and really honestly believe that there is NOTHING wrong with it.

Edit:

SinisterGehe said:
Oh yes, definitly, that goes without saying.

Dogstile

Jan 17, 2009
Seriously? Inside the "sick" mind of a school shooter mod? I'm guessing you're slightly biased against this guy.

I agree with most of his points. Not about why he wanted to make it, because that's just silly, but his answers to your questions. I mean, it was hilarious that people were going on about how they wanted to kill Jack Thompson and its brilliant that he sticks by his idea of what a game should be. He wants the game to be a mindless shooting game that's rude and offensive and where you kill people, and do you know what?

That is absolutely fine

More power to him. At least he's sticking by his ideals as a person, and these ideals aren't truly hurting anyone. The man gets a respect five from me.

Edit:

As a point of interest. I wonder how many of you would mind so much if it was shooting monsters for points before the big bad boss monsters killed you?

And as pointed out below, I wonder how many of you were ok with Call of Juarez but not ok with this?

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
So THIS is where the "games are not art" road leads? Consider me a pretentious games-are-art fag then. (Note: Yes, I have actually been called this. I'm now officially proud of it.)

L34dP1LL

Mar 6, 2010
I wonder how many were ok with the new call of Juarez game, but now are questioning this one just because it hits more close to home.

Antidrall

Mar 16, 2010
I...I'm at a loss for words. I feel as though nothing I say can make this any better. No matter how many speeches, or presentations on the narrative and artistic value of games are given, there's going to be an asshole like this doing something stupid...I quit the internet.

josh797

Nov 20, 2007
i think you guys missed april fools day by a month. this reads like a bad joke.

its so disturbing to me, i almost cant read it. that someone would be so much without empathy that he would create a game like this and keep its tone light and game oriented is sickening to the point that i cant believe it.

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
weird, thats pretty much all I can say in the matter

Katana314

Oct 4, 2007
I grudgingly admit he has a right to make what he's making. But I really don't want this mod to get any attention.

In case he didn't notice, in the Good vs Evil type of moral choice game, people inevitably pick good. People actually like feeling that they're doing something right, correct. There is none of that when you're playing as a school shooter. I'm certainly going to avoid this mod.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
EHKOS said:
Sounds fun, if only to give the middle finger to society.
EDIT: Now that I've actually seen the trailer...I felt sick. And I never feel sick about this stuff. I think this is wrong. And I laugh at 9\11 jokes. Maybe it's because I never knew anybody, but still this is disturbing. I can see trying to make it educational but it's doing it wrong. This is just sick.
If you read the article... he refuses to make it educational. He wants it to be brainless fun, "like Bulletstorm".

Caliostro

Headhunter
Jan 23, 2008
Greg Tito said:
Why would any sane person make a game that so clearly crossed the line from healthy entertainment into psychosis?
...Really? I'm sorry, this is the same website that just last week had as an highlight the positive review of Bulletstorm, a game that not only allows but extensively REWARDS the most psychotic and deranged behaviour you can possibly think of? A game that shows absolutely no traces of what's socially accepted as humanity or humane behaviour, and in fact downplays said traits in favour of encouraging channelling your creativity towards the most socially maladjusted attitudes you can conceive?

This is sounding like the whole "No Russian" controversy all over again. Hell, it's not even something "never done before". The Postal series allowed you to do that and much, much more, like using cats as living silencers, or getting creative with the physics engine and dismemberment. As mentioned in the article, this very kind of behaviour was one of the main attractions of the GTA series, ostensively one of the most accomplished, awarded, and successful gaming series ever released?

Games aren't always about being deep. Sometimes it's just about fun, and whether we like to admit it or not, death and destruction are cathartic. It's an evolutionary trait. We like killing, we like destroying.

That's all this game is about. The devs never claimed it was anything else.

Lordmarkus

Jun 6, 2009
SinisterGehe said:
Lordmarkus said:
But he still has the right to do it. You can not deny it. He has right to reflect this subject with hes own mean and has right to publish it. Should we ban people thinking about School violence in internet blocks because they might give someone ideas.

Of course he has the right to make the game but that doesn't make the act less strange or justified

KeyMaster45

Gone Gonzo
Jun 16, 2008
This guy comes of as a world class troll. Just because you have the right to do something doesn't mean you should. The minute the media gets hold of this mod they're going to have a freaking field day. Glenn Beck may well die from excitement. They don't even have to over sensationalize anything with it, it's exactly what they want. After they're done with their coverage the image of the industry may well be set back a solid 10 years.

This guy and his game are an absolute threat to the industry as a whole.