Inside the Sick Mind of a School Shooter Mod

PowerC

Feb 28, 2011
Why? This is not only morally terrible, but gives the government a whole new edge in their fight against free speech in games. What kind of sick individual would do this to his chosen form of entertainment? Is he stupid enough to not expect the amount of negative feedback and most likely threats that he'll probably receive? Things like this make me a little sick

Genixma

Sep 22, 2009
I sense a future Extra Credit mention, in progress about pushing this "media" back few ages.

gibboss28

Feb 2, 2008
Can someone answer me this because after reading the article I've got one thought question floating in my mind

This mod isn't anything new, this isn't the first game of its kind nor will it be the last, why exactly is this one getting so much interest?

loc978

Sep 18, 2010
I'll most likely never play it, not only because I don't actually have any game that runs the Source engine besides Portal, but also because I haven't been a fan of any GTA game since the last overhead-view iteration for the PS1. This sort of game just doesn't appeal to me.

That said, I actually agree with every point that Pawnstick made... aside from "this is just what games are"
...really, it's just that in most cases within one specific genre... he's right, they're about brutally killing NPCs, whether in battle or by surprise.

WanderingFool

Apr 9, 2009
arragonder said:
Lordmarkus said:
His arguments and responses are sound but creating such a mod are just wrong. Horribly wrong.
remember prototype? remember how you could mow down hundreds of innocents that did nothing but try to run away? how the hell is this any different?
Well, this mod, your a kid with a gun.

In Prototype, you play a mutant with the ability to run up buildings, turn his body into various objects of carnage, shapeshift into other people, survive getting shot full of holes from countless soldiers, tanks, and choppers, and can consume living organic matter by touching it, and than you can become that person... oh, and he can fly around by shooting blood at high velocity out of his wrists like an emo rocketeer. I think there is a slight bit of difference between them. You know, the whole suspension of belief bit, as I doubt to many kids will end up like Alex Mercer (that the Prototype guys name, right?)

Jim Grim

Jun 6, 2009
dogstile said:
Jim Grim said:
dogstile said:
As a point of interest. I wonder how many of you would mind so much if it was shooting monsters for points before the big bad boss monsters killed you?
Of course I wouldn't mind if it was shooting monsters. Because monsters aren't school children.

Creating an entire game devoted to trying to kill as many children in a school is possible is fucking appalling. It seems that the only way this guy is really justifying this is by saying "It's just a game, it'll be fun." That's not an adequate reason to release something like this.
Because its the same game, different context. Nothing really changes except the character models. It's not real.

He doesn't have to justify it to anyone, he's making it for anyone who will enjoy it to enjoy. Quite frankly, I think its "fucking appalling" that he has to justify making a mod for a game.

(Damn, I can see myself arguing this point all night)
Context makes all the difference. What your targets represent is far more important than how they look. The fact that it's not real is beside the point, the player is still encouraged to gain enjoyment from a school shooting.

The idea that people should be allowed to produce whatever material they want and not have to justify it is a horrible idea. What the developer is doing here is communicating an idea to the world, of course he should have to respond to criticism. If you create something so obviously controvesial you can't ignore people's responses to it, and you'd better have some damn good reasoning behind your choice to create it. This guy doesn't have that. It would be better for him and I'm sure for many other people if he simply cancelled the project, though of course if he chooses to go ahead with it, he should have the right to. Equally, I should have the right to complain and protest against this, and I should have the right to a proper response to my criticism.

Oh, and you'd better be prepared to spend a long time arguing this point. You said something very contentious in a public forum, and now you'll see the results.

Void(null)

Dec 10, 2008
I think this sort of thing is not only perfectly acceptable but needed.

As an industry we continue to battle against the whole "Video games are murder simulators and training our youth to become serial killers" thing every day, so why not put our arguments and theories about Video game violence being entirely harmless because its fantasy up against the ultimate test.

If this actual murder simulator does not turn everyone who plays it into a serial killer, then nothing will and perhaps we can put the whole stupid thing behind us.

Mar 9, 2010
I advocate this game. It really is no different to mowing down the pregnant lady in GTA or the mission in MW2 where you can kill innocent people in an airport. It all boils down to whether you actually have the stones to stand behind games that are morally questionable. We were 'all' willing to stand behind the Taliban being in MoH which would have offended people like this game does.

If you play any game where you kill someone then you may as well play this. If there is anything that I know in this world, it's that killing mindless AI isn't morally questionable.

How many of you wanted to kill the kids in Fallout 3 because they were little cunts? I know I did. How many of you shot at civilians in any GTA game? I know I did. How many of you went into a town in Red Dead, shot a few civilians, robbed a bank and then proceeded to ride your horse out of that town shooting at the law enforcers who were just doing their jobs, had wives to go home to and were decent people? I know I did.

Now, how many of you have ever done that in real life? I know I haven't.

Dec 27, 2010
Someone like this isnt helping games or the game industry at all. Not only will it bring attention from the media, but this will have serious political implications. Expect many countries/ states to start campaigns to find another way of censoring the arts all in the name of child safety. Children arent idiots, and while none should ever play something like this, games like GTA and COD arent, contrary to popular belief corrupting their minds. Anyway I've gone off topic but this game's wrong, but cant not be made, and we need to stand up for the medium in the face of the incoming controversy.

Loonerinoes

Apr 9, 2009
Heh, this article reminds me of Encyclopedia Dramatica's 'offended' page.

But seriously, put it this way I think. He has every right to do this. The question is - why is this being done? For me really it boils down to the following: either a) he's genuinely sincere about this and just wants to show people that the world won't end with a game like this and that there's even room for this sort of thing on this planet or b) he's doing it strictly 'for the lulz'. To reflect these motivations, one of two things will happen (or who knows...perhaps has already happened) from this point on:

If it really is a matter of a), then it should be launched with the same kind of marketing as is standard for this type of product. If it does so, without any bombastic pandering, then honestly maybe people should learn to stop being offended this easily. If everyone is tip-toeing oh so carefully in the name of trying to present gaming as 'respectable', then please if asked about this product just state that it is most certainly not one intended for the mass market in any way. I doubt anyone will have a problem agreeing with that much - after all, it's not like the mass market would be interested in a movie about Columbine or such either at this moment, nor is watching guro artwork popular, yet it still exists for those few that might find something in it, right?

b) He'll decide to deliberately seek to stir every bit of controvesy and take every opportunity to troll his detractors. He'll take every chance he gets to shout out his beliefs to the heavens in the style of 'You can't tame meh!!!' and generally be an attention whore, all in the name of 'fighting for the rights of his game.'

If a) happens, then people might want to get off their moral high horse in this case and just move on with their lives. If you truly detest this sort of game, ignore it - in that way you do the most to sap it of it's power. Don't like it, don't buy it/play it or even talk about it. That'll be a lot better than covering its controvesy which, by the way, will fuel it to heights you might never have wanted it to reach with this peice in the first place.

If b) happens though heh...well, then all I can say is double the former. Because scrotum-suckers like that just thrive off the attention that is given to them. Penny Arcade made a comic I think about one such case, where the best way to deal with it is not to give much thought to something that stupid at all. Although I am certain that most people will rather protest this thing 'on principle', unwittingly helping to make this thing into some kind of statement for 'the true nature of videogames' (which this most certainly isn't - it's just another facet of videogames, nothing more or less really).

Either way, I honestly wonder how much The Escapist will keep covering this thing. Because believe me when I say that covering this sort of thing in more than one article can easily serve to propagate more of such things in the future, especially by vehemently spitting bile against it and thus galvanizing the opposing side (yes, there actually is one and no, despite the article's subtitle, it did not offend 'everyone').

Kumomaru

May 21, 2008
I couldn't even finish the article.

This mod had better tank. And it had better tank HARD.

Dawkter said:
What's the deal with the Supreme Court bill anyways? Weren't kids not allowed to purchase M games without an adult being there, anyways? Or is it like kids can't get Uncharted or even Pokemon if it gets passed?
1) Because if video games are on the same level as movies or books, then this impedes on freedom of expression. And many people believe that, while a younger medium, games have the same rights.
2) Because the ESRB already rates games, and M or higher rated are already illegal to sell to anybody below 17. So this would target T or E games like (as you mentioned) Uncharted or Pokemon.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
La Barata said:
lacktheknack said:
La Barata said:
Something like this speaks directly to the bullied teenager in all of us. Know what this game is? It's cathartic. Without mincing words, I fucking hated high school. I had no friends, and was picked on for fun by just about everybody because, being bigger than most and quiet, I make a good target. Hell, there was a month back in grade 12 where a group of people would follow me around at lunch and throw garbage at me. I never fought back, though. I just bottled shit up and turned it into pure hate and misanthropy. Even now, several years later, I keep up a shell and am always on the defensive. I keep people away because I quite honestly hate them now.
Why, may you ask, am I giving you lot my life story? It's on topic, not just because they both involve high schools. I have to say, playing a game like that would be cathartic. If I played this back in high school, it'd give me some sort of satisfaction. I couldn't strike back against my tormentors in real life, so I'd gun them down in the virtual world. It hurts nobody, no harm is done but to pixels.
To all of you saying "this is terrible, this is the worst thing ever, you need to die for making this!" think back to yourself at high school and how the people in it made you feel. If everyone was your best friend, then congratulations, you've succeeded in doing something that no other human in history has done. To the rest of you, however, remember how those people (you know exactly who I mean, EVERYONE has them) made you feel, and tell me taking your digital revenge wouldn't make you feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

...No. It wouldn't. It would only make me madder. Because then they'd still be there.

How am I supposed to sympathize with you if you sat there, did nothing about it, and wished deeply for their horrendous death? At least I DID SOMETHING ABOUT IT.
To begin, I don't appreciate your attacking me for simply stating my opinion. YOu have done nothing here, made no valid argument, you've simply attempted to defame me and say that I'm wrong for feeling a certain way. What, pray tell, do you suggest I do? Go to the office? Seriously, when was the last time you were in a high school? The administration doesn't give a flying fuck about you. I can tell you exactly what they'd say, because the first thing I did WAS go to the office. "Oh, avoid the people who give you trouble". That's the entirety of their solution. The administration would not lift a finger to help you, they couldn't be bothered to piss on you if you were on fire. Hell, when someone actually set me on fire in grade 9, they simply said that if I didn't have any proof of who it was, they couldn't do anything. So should I fight them, then? Sure, get myself expelled and probably hurt because there's a good deal more of them than me. Talk to them? Seriously? It doesn't work that way. Regardless, I never asked for your sympathy, I simply gave personal context to help me make a valid argument.

On to your other point, that it would make you madder because they're still there. Well, yippee for you, that's just too damn bad. Guess what, though? If you DIDN'T play the game, then they'd still be there, just the same as if you had played, only if I did play, it would act as a sort of stress relief. That's the entire point I've tried to make, that it works cathartically, like a stress ball with a trigger.
I find it interesting how you accuse me of attacking you (which I didn't), then go on an aggressive rant.

Anyways, I graduated last year out of a school where the staff successfully defused no fewer then four bullies groups in three years. I even was involved mere weeks ago in a defamation via Facebook case where fifteen people got a warning, one got a two day suspension, and another got a five-day suspension. So no, the administration was awesome.

Still, did you get your parents involved?

Did you consider switching schools?

Did you consider psychological warfare?

Were you friendly to everyone else?

Did you stay in good status with the teachers?

Did you consider hiding in a closet and reading, since you claim to have had no friends?

Did you react to them?

Did you withdraw into an easily prodded shell?

Seriously, if you did the last two and almost none of the others, then no wonder high-school sucked.

Anton P. Nym

Sep 18, 2007
I guess I have to be careful about arguing that these sorts of games have no utility... this one, for instance, seems to be working quite handily as a sociopath detector.

I suppose he has the right to create this, but having the right doesn't mean that it's necessarily good to do so. I doubt anybody can argue that the Westboro "Baptist" Church is performing a valuable service.

I do have to be careful, though, as I can't watch video here in the office so I'm only getting a partial idea of what's going on. I'll try to reserve judgement until I know more... but it's tough on an issue like this one.

-- Steve

PS: insert another ritual damnation of reCaptcha here

josh797

Nov 20, 2007
ok so after watching a video of this mod, albeit from july of last year, i can say its pretty pathetic. it just halflife 2 survival mode. you start off in a room with gordons shotgun, and his smg then, after killing some of the civilians and scientists and barney (tear for barney) from the opening of hl2, some combine come in and you survive as long as possible. you can even still see the stock orange color where he didnt texture the walls. i didnt see any points, or options to kill myself, or one liners, or even kids. face it mr. tito, you got trolled, bad.

its rather stupid. this **** saying his game would be good and whatever else is an idiot troll.

the only thing that is objectionable about this game is the title and that hes using hl2 for such a shit mod. what a complete troll.

WanderingFool

Apr 9, 2009
The Unworthy Gentleman said:
I advocate this game. It really is no different to mowing down the pregnant lady in GTA or the mission in MW2 where you can kill innocent people in an airport. It all boils down to whether you actually have the stones to stand behind games that are morally questionable. We were 'all' willing to stand behind the Taliban being in MoH which would have offended people like this game does.

If you play any game where you kill someone then you may as well play this. If there is anything that I know in this world, it's that killing mindless AI isn't morally questionable.

How many of you wanted to kill the kids in Fallout 3 because they were little cunts? I know I did. How many of you shot at civilians in any GTA game? I know I did. How many of you went into a town in Red Dead, shot a few civilians, robbed a bank and then proceeded to ride your horse out of that town shooting at the law enforcers who were just doing their jobs, had wives to go home to and were decent people? I know I did.

Now, how many of you have ever done that in real life? I know I haven't.
Actually save for the FO3 kids, I never did any of those things... God... not even the Fatman can kill those bastards...

Kwatsu

Feb 21, 2007
He makes fair arguments, but that doesn't stop me feeling ill when I read this. You can't compare Bulletstorm to a school shooting simulator and claim they're one and the same. And what he says about creating a game for gamers who enjoy shooting helpless NPCs who can't fight back.... is that--I mean, does anyone actually want to do that? Is this just an excuse or is he designing for an actual audience? There's a difference between having that be a level in an otherwise fair-sided shooter, and it being your entire game.

Verlander

Apr 22, 2010
Why is this ANY different to games where you murder anyone? I think if there's one thing that this highlights, is that there's something wrong with a country where someone going around a school with a firearm can be considered "realistic". I don't condone the mod, but I do ask people who find nothing wrong with shooting foreigners or adults to reflect upon their attitudes and beliefs.

And in the long run? Perhaps if the assholes from the American school shootings could play this game, the disasters may have been averted