Insignificant Things That Ruined Your Ex Favorite Game

SacremPyrobolum

Dec 11, 2010
For me, it has to be the lack of heir selecting in MTW 2.

I was playing the Stainless Steel mod 6.1 and my first kind died so the prince became the king and the next in line the heir. However, the "next in line" according to the computer was the kings bastard child Arthur.

I have read enough Game of Thrones to know that bastards cannot inherit the throne.

Whats worse is that their is no work around.

I tried taking away my bastards heir trait and giving it to someone else but after i killed my king he still inherited!

That was just to much for me so I rage quit.

Ordinaryundone

Oct 23, 2010
SacremPyrobolum said:

I was playing the Stainless Steel mod 6.1 and my first kind died so the prince became the king and the next in line the heir. However, the "next in line" according to the computer was the kings bastard child Arthur.

I have read enough Game of Thrones to know that bastards cannot inherit the throne.

I tried taking away my bastards heir trait and giving it to someone else but after i killed my king he still inherited!

Technically, a bastard can be king, and can definitely be royalty if they are formally recognized as a member of the family. The only reason many families didn't recognize their bastards were because
A. They're were probably a lot of them, from all walks of life.
B. Reminder of scandal. Its expected that a king is probably going to get around, but you don't want to air your dirty laundry in public, so to speak.
C. It mucks around with succession, which was tricky enough to follow even at the best of times without adding a bunch more illegitimate people to the mix. See A.

William the Conqueror, the first Norman King of England and the Duke of Normandy in 1035 was a bastard. Also, if you'd like a Game of Thrones example, Roose Bolten's son is a bastard, and heir to the Dreadfort.

OT: I...don't really have much to add. There has never really been one niggling detail that has made me hate a game I previously liked. I just thought I'd bust up in here with some history >_>

LookingGlass

Jul 6, 2011
Whilst I wouldn't really call it "insignificant", nor is it a favourite game of mine, but it's as close as I can think of off the top of my head...

I've started playing The Darkness on PS3 twice now and enjoyed the first 30-45 mins. Then, after I left Jackie's girlfriend's apartment, I died a couple of times because the looseness of the controls really became noticeable and I just couldn't get it to do what I wanted it to (hide behind some cover, shoot certain enemies). Exact same thing happened both times and I couldn't be bothered putting the effort in to get used to it... console FPS is just not my thing.

It was a really promising game too.

TheRightToArmBears

Dec 13, 2008
SacremPyrobolum said:

I always sent heirs I didn't want into battles that they couldn't win and made sure they died. I hate it when a shitty prince gets to rule when one of my other, considerably more awesome characters doesn't. It's that or sending the heir off on a crusade, that usually sorts them out.

I guess this didn't put me off completely, but cougars in RDR. I hate them. So much.

SacremPyrobolum

Dec 11, 2010
Ordinaryundone said:
SacremPyrobolum said:

Technically, a bastard can be king, and can definitely be royalty if they are formally recognized as a member of the family. The only reason many families didn't recognize their bastards were because
A. They're were probably a lot of them, from all walks of life.
Would it clear things up if I said this bastard had zero command stars, one chivalry, and 2 authority with 4 piety?
B. Reminder of scandal. Its expected that a king is probably going to get around, but you don't want to air your dirty laundry in public, so to speak.
C. It mucks around with succession, which was tricky enough to follow even at the best of times without adding a bunch more illegitimate people to the mix. See A.

William the Conqueror, the first Norman King of England and the Duke of Normandy in 1035 was a bastard. Also, if you'd like a Game of Thrones example, Roose Bolten's son is a bastard, and heir to the Dreadfort.

OT: I...don't really have much to add. There has never really been one niggling detail that has made me hate a game I previously liked. I just thought I'd bust up in here with some history >_>
Would it help if I said the man had no command stars, two authority fists, and 1 piety and chivalry?

Ordinaryundone

Oct 23, 2010
SacremPyrobolum said:
Would it help if I said the man had no command stars, two authority fists, and 1 piety and chivalry?
Ha, well, that's life for you. Funny thing about succession, it doesn't always favor those who are most apt to do well on the throne.

Danny Roberts

Jul 10, 2011
SacremPyrobolum said:
William The Conquerer was a bastard, hence his other name: William the Bastard :)

DEAD34345

Aug 18, 2010
Oblivion: Level-scaling.

I was having a great time, exploring, doing quests (except the main quest for some reason, I never did finish that), and generally just enjoying the game. Then for some reason (I think it was to do with one of the daedric shrine quests) I decided to look up information about it online.

The first article I stumble across is about something called "efficient levelling", and it explains to me how by levelling I've actually been making my character weaker throughout the entire course of the game, and that all of those cool items I'd found would be even better if only I'd found them at a higher level.

Suddenly, levelling up was pointless because every monster in the world would level up with me. Finding unique items was pointless, because by finding them I would be gimping myself in the later game. Exploring new dungeons was pointless, because every monster encounter and piece of loot I would ever find would simply be scaled to my level anyway.

Now, no matter how I play, I just can't recapture the fun I had before I knew how the game worked. It pretty much defined the phrase "ignorance is bliss" to me.

Stryc9

Elite Member
Nov 12, 2008
I used to be a pretty big fan of the Command & Conquer series, I own all of the games up to C&C 4, which was the last straw as far as I'm concerned. Red Alert 3's forced co-op campaign with AI "helpers" was kind of a turn-off but not a deal breaker for me. When they removed the base building and resource gathering mechanics from C&C 4 and instead had a build it all moving mechanized thingy for each side to produce units and money drops based on how many control points you were currently controlling along with a unit cap I was done.

Moonlight Butterfly

Be the Leaf
Mar 16, 2011
I really loved Deus Ex (HR for you pendantic buggers :p) but the boss fights and ending were horrible. It would have been one of my favourite games if not for those things.

dickywebster

Jul 11, 2011
Probably when ive played a game so much that even after a years break i come back and still feel ive played it too much, but thats more my problem than a games =P

Mandalore_15

Aug 12, 2009
Doragon Shinzui said:
Portal.
The fans.
That is all.
What's wrong with Portal fans? Serious question.

xXxJessicaxXx said:
I really loved Deus Ex but the boss fights and ending were horrible. It would have been one of my favourite games if not for those things.
There weren't any boss-fights in Deus Ex really. Are you referring to Human Revolution?

Nevyrmoore

Aug 13, 2009
xXxJessicaxXx said:
I really loved Deus Ex but the boss fights and ending were horrible. It would have been one of my favourite games if not for those things.
Which one, Human Revolution or the original?

Mausthemighty

Aug 3, 2011
Stryc9 said:
I used to be a pretty big fan of the Command & Conquer series, I own all of the games up to C&C 4, which was the last straw as far as I'm concerned. Red Alert 3's forced co-op campaign with AI "helpers" was kind of a turn-off but not a deal breaker for me. When they removed the base building and resource gathering mechanics from C&C 4 and instead had a build it all moving mechanized thingy for each side to produce units and money drops based on how many control points you were currently controlling along with a unit cap I was done.
I agree. This ruined a perfect RTS-series.

Alfador_VII

Nov 2, 2009
xXxJessicaxXx said:
If you mean Human Revolution, agreed. I persevered on the first boss fight for ages, then gave up, and haven't touched the game again.

As for small things that put me off a whole SERIES, that's easy

Blitzball

That stopped my play of Final Fantasy X in it's tracks, and I've not considered a new Final Fantasy game since. No great loss, judging by the reviews XIII got.

Techno Squidgy

Nov 23, 2010
Mandalore_15 said:
"The Cake is a lie!" gets pretty fucking old when everyone is repeating it. Also, Space. Over exposure turns a lot of people off of things they used to love. At least, that's my experience.

Techno Squidgy

Nov 23, 2010
TheRightToArmBears said:
I guess this didn't put me off completely, but cougars in RDR. I hate them. So much.
I just had to kill two of them with a knife. I used more medicine doing this than any other part of the game.

Tanakh

Jul 8, 2011
Techno Squidgy said:
Mandalore_15 said:
"The Cake is a lie!" gets pretty fucking old when everyone is repeating it. Also, Space. Over exposure turns a lot of people off of things they used to love. At least, that's my experience.
Curiously enough i have come hundreds of times with that line ""The Cake is a lie!" gets pretty fucking old when everyone is repeating it."; and never with someone posting or saying The Cake is a lie!.

Maybe it's just me though.

Techno Squidgy

Nov 23, 2010
Tanakh said:
Techno Squidgy said:
Mandalore_15 said:
Curiously enough i have come hundreds of times with that line ""The Cake is a lie!" gets pretty fucking old when everyone is repeating it."; and never with someone posting or saying The Cake is a lie!.

Maybe it's just me though.
Things aren't as bad as they used to be. In fact I've barely seen it at all recently. It's just the main cause of resentment towards Portal fans. In fact I haven't seen it in so long, it's almost funny again!