Insomiac Games is Making the New Spider-Man PS4 Game

ffronw

I am a meat popsicle
Oct 24, 2013
2,804
0
0
Insomiac Games is Making the New Spider-Man PS4 Game

The new Spider-Man PS4 title is being created by the team behind Resistance and Ratchet & Clank.

If you've been waiting for a chance to get back into the role of web-slinging superhero Spider-Man, you'll be getting your chance soon. At its E3 press conference last night, Sony showed off a teaser trailer for a new, PS4-exclusive Spider-Man game.

The blurb accompanying the trailer reads, "Take control of an experienced Peter Parker who is more masterful at fighting crime." This would seen to indicate that we're not starting over with a young Peter Parker, but jumping in once he's mastered his abilities.


There's precious little info on the game beyond the trailer, which simply states that the game is "in development for the PlayStation 4." Still, if Insomniac can match the quality of its previous efforts, this could be a game to watch.

Permalink
 

Neurotic Void Melody

Bound to escape
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
4,954
6
13
Oh Insomniac please deliver us a great Spiderman game...pleaaase! We have been asking for this, and that teaser certainly got the heart going. New York even looks nice there!
 

Darth Rosenberg

New member
Oct 25, 2011
1,288
0
0
An exclusive Spider-Man game, of all things? Seems rather moronic to restrict a triple-A version of one of the most iconic superheroes of all time to one platform, but that's dumbass console culture for ya.
 

Seishisha

By the power of greyskull.
Aug 22, 2011
473
0
0
All i wanna say right now after watching that trailer.

Damn that costume is ugly.
 

ffronw

I am a meat popsicle
Oct 24, 2013
2,804
0
0
Darth Rosenberg said:
An exclusive Spider-Man game, of all things? Seems rather moronic to restrict a triple-A version of one of the most iconic superheroes of all time to one platform, but that's dumbass console culture for ya.
It's not super surprising, since Sony owns the Spider-Man IP, and Insomniac typically does PS4 exclusive titles (except Sunset Overdrive!).
 

Darth Rosenberg

New member
Oct 25, 2011
1,288
0
0
ffronw said:
It's not super surprising, since Sony owns the Spider-Man IP, and Insomniac typically does PS4 exclusive titles (except Sunset Overdrive!).
Are Insomniac just a bunch of shameless tarts/mercs, then? 'Have code, will travel'? (still have Sunset, unplayed, on my drive after it was offered for free)

I suppose my real beef's with whoever thought it'd be a good idea to license the character to Sony, then. You'd think Marvel would wish to have the character available for the biggest market.
 

Ruisu

Enjoy the Silence
Jul 11, 2013
190
0
0
ffronw said:
Darth Rosenberg said:
An exclusive Spider-Man game, of all things? Seems rather moronic to restrict a triple-A version of one of the most iconic superheroes of all time to one platform, but that's dumbass console culture for ya.
It's not super surprising, since Sony owns the Spider-Man IP, and Insomniac typically does PS4 exclusive titles (except Sunset Overdrive!).
They only have movie rights though, unless this came from some other agreement between Sony and Marvel.
 

fix-the-spade

New member
Feb 25, 2008
8,639
0
0
MetalDooley said:
PS4 exclusive huh? Well that's bullshit
In the last twenty years Insomniac have only made three non-Sony exclusives.

They were a mobile game, Fuse (formerly Overstrike) and Sunset Overdrive.

It's probably for the best that they work with Sony on this one, irritating as that may be.
 

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Apr 4, 2020
8,413
15
23
CyanCat47 said:
OMG it's the voice actor who voiced the english version of sasuke uchiha. best spider-man voice ever
Look him up. You have heard his voice far more often than you know. Yuri Lowenthal.
 

MortalKomic

Carmichael
Mar 5, 2011
59
0
0
Oh god that costume. I loved Spidey's digs in Civil War, he looked a little different but they kept the identity of the suit relatively untouched, something the movies have done great with before (Cap/Thor/Vision in particular). This suit is just plain ugly.
 

Bat Vader

New member
Mar 11, 2009
4,996
0
0
MetalDooley said:
PS4 exclusive huh? Well that's bullshit
Dead Rising 3 was meant to be an X-Box Exclusive and look what happened there. I'm sure if the game sells well enough they will port it to PC and X-Box One.
 

2HF

New member
May 24, 2011
630
0
0
Seishisha said:
All i wanna say right now after watching that trailer.

Damn that costume is ugly.
MortalKomic said:
Oh god that costume. I loved Spidey's digs in Civil War, he looked a little different but they kept the identity of the suit relatively untouched, something the movies have done great with before (Cap/Thor/Vision in particular). This suit is just plain ugly.
Expect all your favorite versions as unlockables, or far more likely as paid skins.
 

CyanCat47_v1legacy

New member
Nov 26, 2014
498
0
0
Saelune said:
CyanCat47 said:
OMG it's the voice actor who voiced the english version of sasuke uchiha. best spider-man voice ever
Look him up. You have heard his voice far more often than you know. Yuri Lowenthal.
I know. He was like 33% of the fallout new vegas voice cast :)
 

Seishisha

By the power of greyskull.
Aug 22, 2011
473
0
0
2HF said:
Expect all your favorite versions as unlockables, or far more likely as paid skins.
While most probably true, as a choice for 'main' costume it is kinda crappy. I won't be buying the game anyway since i don't own a PS4.
 

MetalDooley

Cwipes!!!
May 27, 2020
2,054
0
1
Country
Ireland
fix-the-spade said:
In the last twenty years Insomniac have only made three non-Sony exclusives.

They were a mobile game, Fuse (formerly Overstrike) and Sunset Overdrive.

It's probably for the best that they work with Sony on this one, irritating as that may be.
Oh I get that Insomniac have primarily been a Sony dev.It just strikes me as odd that,given the popularity of the Marvel movies and seeing how well Spidey was received in Civil War,that Marvel/Disney would go the exclusive route for this game alienating all the non PS4 owning Spidey fans

Bat Vader said:
Dead Rising 3 was meant to be an X-Box Exclusive and look what happened there. I'm sure if the game sells well enough they will port it to PC and X-Box One.
DR3 is still an Xbox exclusive on consoles though.Seeing as this is apparently being published by Sony it's unlikely to be released on Xbox One or Wii U/NX.As I'm not a PC gamer this means I'm unlikely to get to play this without either buying a PS4(which is unlikely as I can't afford to own 3 consoles) or upgrading my laptop or buy a new more powerful one
 

fix-the-spade

New member
Feb 25, 2008
8,639
0
0
MetalDooley said:
Oh I get that Insomniac have primarily been a Sony dev.It just strikes me as odd that,given the popularity of the Marvel movies and seeing how well Spidey was received in Civil War,that Marvel/Disney would go the exclusive route for this game alienating all the non PS4 owning Spidey fans
I expect that has something to do with Sony's Spiderman movie rights.

That deal is fabulously complicated in who gets to make what for what, but given Disney's ambivalence towards gaming and Sony's massive investment it wouldn't surprise me if they have a veto on who makes Spidey games and where they are available.