Insomniac "Not Working" on the Wii U

Shoggoth2588

Aug 31, 2009
I could have sworn Insomniac was a Sony-exclusive production house...I admit I could be wrong about that but I'm still going to wonder out loud about 343 studios developing for the U. In all honesty though; it would be nice if more companies were developing for the U. Oh well, the big names are still being developed so as long as we get the Nintendo properties most-is-well for me.

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
The Wii U is reminding me more and more of Dreamcast... except in Dreamcast's case it was actually ahead of its time.

PoolCleaningRobot

Mar 18, 2012
KeyMaster45 said:
DVS BSTrD said:
Does anyone really consider the Wii-U next gen?
Die-hard Nintendo fans I think consider it next gen. Frankly it feels like a console that's finally catching up to this gen. I mean the system is about as much an upgrade as the smaller versions of the 360 and PS3 were. I would say that I wish Nintendo would bring their A game back to the console party, but I think they lost it somewhere between the Gamecube and Wii.
^^This. People point out "Oh the Wii U is getting cool adult games like Deus Ex. Its a next gen console!" Except I got to enjoy Deus Ex when it came out years ago. Nintendo is literally playing catch up on games that should have come out for the Wii. There's no excuse. Hardware may have not been important in the GC, ps2, xbox era but it became important this gen and Nintendo dropped the ball and we got a retread of gamecube-like games with motion controls and slight internet connectivity

Bottom line, I consider the Wii U "next gen" in big finger quotes. We will see some interesting games from Nintendo (probably) but other developers have been dealing with the Wii U's level of tech for 7 years and are ready to move on

Korten12 said:
So... Where is Jeffers to glorify Nintendo and try to smite the Insomniac heathens? :/
I like how he's that famous for being the escapist's official Nintendo fanboy. We all must have argued with him at some point. He probably had an aneurysm when he read the title. Or he's still typing his rage post about how this is "completely unfair".

To be honest, he doesn't seem all that bad when he's not talking about Nintendo :\

Edit:
Best description of the Wii U: It is next gen, but looks an awful lot like the last gen

Evil Smurf

Admin of Catoholics Anonymous
Nov 11, 2011
I would get a WiiU But:
1. I travel almost every day, as such I need to carry my gaming with me. Enter my laptop, phone and DSi.
2. I want to play games I can't on my laptop.
3. At home the TV is still CRT so I think it would be a waste.

As a result of this I can't see myself getting any new consoles. I do like Nintendo though and consider the WiiU a next gen console.

bollocks, double post

Mr.Mattress

Level 2 Lumberjack
Jul 17, 2009
Meh, never been a fan of Insomniac Anyways (I tried a Ratchet and Clank game, but I never really got into it. Wasn't a fan of the PS2 either). Still, at least they come out and admit they aren't working on the WiiU, unlike some developers I know who say they are when they really aren't (Cough cough EA cough cough), so at least they're honest. I still wish them luck with Fuse though.

Sehnsucht Engel

Apr 18, 2009
Isn't Insomniac only developing things for Sony, and has been doing so for... forever? I'm surprised they'd say anything positive about anyone else than sony.

Korten12

Now I want ma...!
Aug 26, 2009
Wenseph said:
Isn't Insomniac only developing things for Sony, and has been doing so for... forever? I'm surprised they'd say anything positive about anyone else than sony.
No, they're about to release Fuse which is PS3 and 360, and I believe they said they're going to also start releasing games for PC.

xPixelatedx

Jan 19, 2011
Eri said:
Scribblesense said:
DVS BSTrD said:
The Wii U has just as many opportunities for great games as the PS4/Nextbox if they'd only give it a chance.
No it doesn't. By definition, older hardware imposes greater limitations. Graphics, AI, all less on the U.
The argument you make is pretty much flawed and has already been proven wrong by the success of the wii in the last gen. Arguing that the wiiU is underpowered and therefor impossible to develop for is also a silly argument to make, as most developers won't come close to bringing out things that truly look and behave differently from what we can get on current gen hardware; at least, not for a while. Hell the PS3 is more powerful then the 360, and unless you are play VERY specific games (like God of war 3) you can't even really tell how powerful that console is.

Here is the problem... it's no longer a matter of means, it's a matter of money. Look how amazing Avatar (the movie) looks. That's where CGI technology is now. So why does WarZ and other CGI heavy movies look like they were made a decade ago? Because that's what they can afford to do, and Avatar grade CGI is out of the reach of most movie makers. Most developers only have the resources to make games equivalent to what we have now, and they cannot afford the money, time and resources it would take to make something that looks and behaves truly next-gen. Hence why so many people are talking about a coming crash. Why do you think so many studios are closing down right now? So many people are being let go? The industry is restructuring itself in preparation for a change a lot of them know they cannot make.

Seeing all these companies gloat that their new so&so engine won't work on the wiiU is an irrelevant and pointless statement to make, especially when so many more companies can only produce wiiU/360/PS3 quality games anyway.
DVS BSTrD said:
I do, in the fact that it is centered frivolous gimmick nonsense rather then gaming, just like the PS4 and Xbox Infinity are. It is very much next gen, yes. Behold the bright future of gaming!

EHKOS

Madness to my Methods
Feb 28, 2010
So...? Insomniac is a Sony studio. Not to mention they've given up on making good games.

xPixelatedx

Jan 19, 2011
I cannot describe in words the utter amusement theses threads provide. Not because I think Nintendo is going to "pull through and be awesome", I don't think that at all, but the 'selective memory' being displayed is just astonishing. A terrible start for the PS4 is basically guaranteed already; Sony's launches loose more and more momentum with each console. It took the PS3 a whole gen to catch up with it's competitor in sales. I wonder how these new A.D.D. ridden gamers will feel about a new console, especially once they realize it can't do anything but play a few launch games (no backwards compatibility) and then the tumbleweeds will set in and everyone will be predicting doom and gloom, like they did with the PS3/3DS, not realizing that games take time to make, now more then ever.

With costs rising as high as they have, and the casual market playing with yoyos and chasing butterflies; all three consoles are going to have an up hill battle on their hands. Insomniac and other developers are saying bad things about the wiiU and good things about the PS4/Xbox Infinity. That's fine, but just remember that developers also bullshitted everyone about how awesome the wiiU was and how many games they were going to make for it to, and that was just at the start of this year. Don't let their boasting hype you into a delusional state. At least make them work a little to manipulate you.

Aiddon_v1legacy

Nov 19, 2009
Too bad no matter HOW powerful something is, guys like Insomniac always squander the potential of said power.

Nouw

Mar 18, 2009
Eri said:
Scribblesense said:
DVS BSTrD said:
The Wii U has just as many opportunities for great games as the PS4/Nextbox if they'd only give it a chance.
No it doesn't. By definition, older hardware imposes greater limitations. Graphics, AI, all less on the U.
The games on the WiiU may be behind in terms of specs compared to games on the other consoles but I believe the touch-screen controller more than makes up for it. The extra-screen provides opportunities for games that would be impossible to pull off on the other consoles and this is where the WiiU can really shine. I'd even say it has more opportunities because of this. Developers need to take advantage of it and do something -forgive my language- innovative. As j-e-f-f-e-r-s has pointed out many times before, a proper console strategy game could be produced! Asymmetrical gaming with the Pro Controller, hell even NDS-style aiming with the touch-screen.

Notsomuch

Apr 22, 2009
I bought the Wii U to play nintendo games. As long as nintendo is still making games, I can't bring myself to care about whether Ratchet and clank or Just Cause three is going to be available on the wii U. If I'm going to play a bland Triple A game I'll buy it off steam and play it on my computer so that the shades of grey and brown will look much smoother.

Your Gaffer

Oct 10, 2012
This has nothing to do with the WiiU's power and everything to do with its sluggish sales. If the WiiU started selling a at much higher volumes then developers would be releasing games for it. Of course that is a bit of a chicken and egg issue.
The other thing the WiiU has going against it is that because it will be so much weaker than the two major new consoles coming out it may take more work for a multiplatform release to support the WiiU, discouraging large AAA games from making an appearance on the WiiU. Time will tell how this all shakes out. Perhaps all the consoles will see sluggish sales and the age of consoles is coming to an end.

Tanakh

Jul 8, 2011
CriticKitten said:
By the textbook definition of the term (meaning the time period in which it is released), yes, it is next-gen.
Can I get a citation on that? I don't think I've ever seen a definition for "console generation" and would be grateful to read a "textbook" one.