Insomniac "Not Working" on the Wii U

Tanakh

Jul 8, 2011
CriticKitten said:
Go get a dictionary and look it up. Shouldn't take you very long. :p
If it was that easy I would have just googled it. In fact I don't think there exists a single definition of "console generation" from a reputable source, you seemed to know one, that's why I was asking.

If you do not know... I suggest not to act like it in your posts.

The Apple BOOM

Nov 16, 2012
People can complain all they want about hardware specs with processing power and RAM, but at the end of the day, if a game can run on the PS4 or the NextBox (infinity was just some joke on Reddit), it can run on my PC. All I need is a 360 controller or a PS3 controller and MotioninJoy. If a game can run on the Wii U, it can still run on my PC, but I would need a custom rig for the touch screen and motion controls. That is why I mainly care about the Wii U for the 8th gen. It's the only home console that I can't just replace with a PC (barring exclusives, of course).

AzrealMaximillion

Jan 20, 2010
Fappy said:
The Wii U is reminding me more and more of Dreamcast... except in Dreamcast's case it was actually ahead of its time.
I'd say its more like the Saturn. Released before any good games got on it while making the 3rd party publishers not want to support it.

thiosk

Sep 18, 2008
Hmph.

I don't care about this. Rewind a few years and you see the same stuff regarding the PS3. Remember when it was so complicated and weird to develop for that no one wanted to do it?

The only ball nintendo has dropped is that theres STILL no mario, link, or metroid out for the wii u. Whats the point of a new wii without a new metroid mario or link? They could have delivered it this month and it would be grabbing all the headlines.

KelDG

Dec 27, 2012
Tanakh said:
Protip - Don't try to argue with someone who thinks :-

A : Wikipedia is a credible source for citation
B : Thinks that "The guys from Wikipedia" actually create every page themselves
C : Really, that guy thought both of the above were true

;), I love the internet sometimes.

Tanakh

Jul 8, 2011
CriticKitten said:
I guess I'm to presume that the folks at Wikipedia just made it up then?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_video_games

Turns out it really is that easy to find. Took me five seconds and I didn't even have to try that hard.

So the fact that you didn't find it means you weren't trying. You're precisely the sort of person I'm talking about.
Ahh... bro, what I asked for was:
CriticKitten said:
By the textbook definition of the term (meaning the time period in which it is released), yes, it is next-gen.
Guess I was hoping for a intensional definition of it, you know, an actual definition. The link you gave me never defines what a console generation is (like at all, unless my memory betrays me) or what is required to be in one, but it is obviously not the "time period" of release because several generations overlap, thus I would recommend you to reconsider your posts.

It does says that the WiiU is part of the eight generation, however I fail to see why. They could as easily grouped it in the seventh, or having it being the first of the ninth. In the old times the processing power seemed to be the reason to inaugure a new gen, as such it could easily be put on a ps3 generation.

Guffe

Jul 12, 2009
Vivi22 said:
DVS BSTrD said:
Does anyone really consider the Wii-U next gen?
snip
KeyMaster45 said:
Scribblesense said:
Well if we look at the word "generation" it's something that refers to time and not how effective something is.
And since (is it gen8??) the WiiU is 1 year earler than the next PS and Xbox, while the wii, 360 and ps3 are from around 2006, I guess the English language really decides it is in the current generation.

Is it as powerful as the PS and Xbox in 6 months?
with a 98% chanse it's not.

Did Nintendo fail?
Remains to be seen, the WiiU has been out 6 months, who knows what happens in the future?

Also as someone mentioned already, having a dev that has released 95% of it's games on the PS and never earlier on a Nintendo console this isn't really news, it's like asking Ferrari to make me a birthdaycake.

There, happy now that someone defended the console? :D

Tanakh

Jul 8, 2011
KelDG said:
A : Wikipedia is a credible source for citation
B : Thinks that "The guys from Wikipedia" actually create every page themselves
C : Really, that guy thought both of the above were true
Wikipedia is a great source, especially for hard sciences like math or physics. Not so much for stuff where opinion is an issue.

KeyMaster45

Gone Gonzo
Jun 16, 2008
Guffe said:
Well if we look at the word "generation" it's something that refers to time and not how effective something is.
And since (is it gen8??) the WiiU is 1 year earler than the next PS and Xbox, while the wii, 360 and ps3 are from around 2006, I guess the English language really decides it is in the current generation.
I see this argument far too often (it was already used once in this thread), and calling it an argument is rather generous if you ask me; a smart-ass remark by people trying to sound clever is more like it. It can, however, still be countered by pointing to a pair of other Nintendo products; the gameboy advanced and DS.

The two are without question in two separate generations of hand-held consoles, however both saw multiple incarnations within their generation. Though I believe this defies the scholarly definition of generation, their base models and subsequent siblings are still lumped into two distinct generations by the gaming industry. The GBA saw the release of the GBA SP, and the DS has seen the DS Lite, DS XL, and DSi. Going further back we can also look at the Gameboy, Gameboy Pocket, and Gameboy Color. [footnote]Since a GB Color game could still be played on the original Gameboy, just without the color.[/footnote][footnote]Though really the GBA was just a widescreen GB Color; hence the ease of backwards compatibility[/footnote]

Though these many separate pieces of hardware most assuredly carry different functions and build upon the previous models they are still considered to be within only three distinct console generations when spoken of within the gaming industry and community. This is why the WiiU is not considered to be a next generation console. Nintendo has produced what is essentially a new Gameboy; it's the same system as its predecessor but with more bells and whistles. That it will be made obsolete within the year only cements that reality.

The point I'm driving at is that the word generation has a different meaning in the realm of gaming; it's jargon we toss around that has little attachment to it's definition in Webster's or Oxford's dictionary. Trying to use that definition as a basis for negating valid criticism and arguments is annoyingly pointless.

Dec 14, 2009
I just bought one for Monster Hunter...

That's how badly I want to play Monster Hunter right now.

I hope they release more Monster Hunter :3

deadish

Dec 4, 2011
Scribblesense said:
DVS BSTrD said:
Does anyone really consider the Wii-U next gen?
If people consider the Wii to be in the same generation as 360/PS3, and not in the PS2/GCN/Xbox generation, there's no reason why Wii U shouldn't be considered the same generation as PS4/Nextbox.

I think it's a bit ridiculous that devs aren't supporting the Wii U because it's not "next-gen", anyhow. The belief that you aren't moving forward if you're creating a game on a platform with weaker specs just doesn't hold up; it's not the size, it's how you use it, etc.

I'm not going to argue that their time is better spent supporting the Wii U than a platform on which they can fully achieve the vision for their game, but I would argue that thinking laterally is just as beneficial as thinking vertically. The Wii U has just as many opportunities for great games as the PS4/Nextbox if they'd only give it a chance.
Next-gen or not is not the problem. It's whether they can recoup their development cost.

There is a reason no one developers for the PS2 anymore.

Sure you can burn money and make a Wii U game ... which will be stand next on the shelf to a PS4/Xboxwhatever game. Come Christmas, when people might be in the mood to get a next-gen console, which "bundle" do you think they will get?

Olas

Hello!
Dec 24, 2011
Ya ya ya, the WiiU is underpowered compared to other consoles, nothing will run on it, it's old tech, there's just nothing you can do. Blah blah blah tech stuff blah blah

At least you know Nintendo will support their console with lots of good first part titles, even if nobody else will, just like they have to every generation.