Insomniac "Not Working" on the Wii U

Dec 14, 2009
OlasDAlmighty said:
Ya ya ya, the WiiU is underpowered compared to other consoles, nothing will run on it, it's old tech, there's just nothing you can do. Blah blah blah tech stuff blah blah

At least you know Nintendo will support their console with lots of good first part titles, even if nobody else will, just like they have to every generation.
Nintendo will support it's own console with Nintendo titles?

I must alert the masses and spread the word!

'Nintendo will release Nintendo games on it's own console!'

Truly, thank you for opening my eyes.

[sub]Too much? :D[/sub]

Guffe

Jul 12, 2009
KeyMaster45 said:
Guffe said:
Well if we look at the word "generation" it's something that refers to time and not how effective something is.
And since (is it gen8??) the WiiU is 1 year earler than the next PS and Xbox, while the wii, 360 and ps3 are from around 2006, I guess the English language really decides it is in the current generation.
I see this argument far too often and calling it an argument is rather generous if you ask me; a smart-ass remark by people trying to sound clever is more like it.
IT'S A BINGGGOOOOO!!!

That's exactly what I did there, be a smart-ass!
Just because I could, semi-trolling so to say.

There was a thread a few days ago in which the OP asked which "classic debate" you hate the most, my answer being "the console war".
I hate this debate to every little inch of it. The thing is, I started playing on the NES/SNES and when I started to understand games a little I got the N64. At the pinnacle of my gaming I had the GameCube which I played a lot of games on. Then there came the Wii, which I actually liked, I had no problems with the motion controll in any game, not Skyward Sword, not Force Unleashed, not Red Steel (II), not DBZ Budokai Tenkaichi (II and III).... I don't know if that's because I am good at using it or just such a bad gamer that I don't notice its flaws. Now I have the WiiU and have played over 10 games on it already, Batman, AssCreed, Darksiders etc. All being ports but also ZombiU and Nintendoland being the best party game by a mile in YEARS! And old Wii games I still hadn't got/played.

I play Nintendo because of one reason, I like it, I don't care if people call them "not this gen", "underpowered", "a gimmick". For me that plays no role. I play games because I like/enjoy them, Nintendo has yet not dissapointed ME so I stick with them. Fuck the PS/Xbos has futuristic hardware stuff, I don't care. I like my nintendo and until I AM disspaointed I'll continue buying their consoles and games. This is the only reason that matters to me, how much I enjoy my/their games.

And at least among my friends and gamers in my town, most have stuck with the same console they started with, if we want another experience you can always try them a friends.

I got a bit going there because I seriously don't care what people think about me and my gaming habits, I play a console I like, hell the last game I payed was Ocarina of Time on N64 which I finished yesterday, and that hardware is some serious blasphemy to the current gen?? So how can I play that??!!
Play games you enjoy, on consoles you like, and stopping acting like some superior being. All consoles have their faults and all have their good parts, in the end it's all a matter of taste!

MrHide-Patten

Jun 10, 2009
Go back to Sony Insomniac you're drunk. Seriously though, the first game they make for cross platform seemed interesting before the EA Marketing department came into a design meeting.

AdamG3691

Nov 18, 2009
can we just accept "Console Generation" as "the point at which games are not forward compatible"?

the PS2 couldn't play PS3 games, the gamecube couldn't play wii games, the xbox couldn't play 360 games, the wii can't play wiiU games, and the PS3 won't play PS4 games.

the pattern has repeated itself since the beginning of gaming, and that's the one pattern all console generations share other than their lifespans.

plus, do people REALLY want people to be comparing the PS4 to a last gen console? "oh? it's better than the wiiU is it, whoop de fucking doo, newsflash: my PS3 was better than the gamecube"

deadish

Dec 4, 2011
Tanakh said:
Well if we look at the word "generation" it's something that refers to time and not how effective something is.
And since (is it gen8??) the WiiU is 1 year earler than the next PS and Xbox, while the wii, 360 and ps3 are from around 2006, I guess the English language really decides it is in the current generation.
Fine it's a next-gen console ... with last gen's hardware.

A next gen console case with last gen's internals.

Happy?

A Ferrari with a Ford Model-T engine is still a Ferrari right?

KelDG

Dec 27, 2012
CriticKitten said:
Wikipedia is a perfectly credible source. More so than not having one, in fact. While it's true that Wikipedia can be sabotaged by other users, in general it contains far more citations and credible information than virtually any other site on the internet. Which is why, even though many academics frown upon you using it directly as a source, no one will bat so much as an eye at you using Wikipedia's citations as a source for your information (even though in general the content from both sites are nearly identical).

So basically, the negative stigma surrounding Wikipedia is pretty stupid, perpetuated only by keyboard warriors who want to dismiss valid criticisms of their stance by pretending that Wikipedia is always wrong simply because it's an open source reference guide.

Speaking of which, where's YOUR sources proving me wrong?

Oh, don't have any? Thought not. Bye then.
Wikipedia is not a credible source, it has links to citation which CAN be credible, but I bet you can't provide a credible source from the article you linked before.

Oh while you were riding your high horse, you probably didn't notice but I did not take sides in the argument so I don't need to prove anything, especially to you, I frankly thing your argument with the other guy is stupid. I just pointed out Wiki is not a credible source and anyone who thinks it is, is a complete MUPPET.

You mention academia, there is a reason Wikipedia is not accepted as a source for references, it is because Wikipedia does not hold the credible information, but only links to it, and it is these sources that should (and would) be used. Even heavily moderated pages with correct information are not accepted for this reason. Have fun passing anything but high school with your logic.

So back at you, where is your source in your Wikipedia page that proves you right. Not got one? Nope? Bye then.

Mr.Mattress

Level 2 Lumberjack
Jul 17, 2009
KelDG said:
SNIP-A-LOT

So back at you, where is your source in your Wikipedia page that proves you right. Not got one? Nope? Bye then.
I don't have a link to Video Game Console Generations Definition. But here is the Definition of a Generation, Courtasy of Dictionary.com [http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/generation]:

gen·er·a·tion

noun
the entire body of individuals born and living at about the same time: the postwar generation.
the term of years, roughly 30 among human beings, accepted as the average period between the birth of parents and the birth of their offspring.
a group of individuals, most of whom are the same approximate age, having similar ideas, problems, attitudes, etc. Compare Beat Generation, Lost Generation.
a group of individuals belonging to a specific category at the same time: Chaplin belonged to the generation of silent-screen stars.
a single step in natural descent, as of human beings, animals, or plants.

Based off of the standard word, Generation, we can assume that a Video Game Console Generation would fallow the same trend: a group of video game consoles, with the same approximate age, same time frame, and as a single step within their natural descent.

However, I understand that this might not be considered what a "Video Game Generation" might be to some, so I propose the fallowing: We split Video Game Generation into two separate categories. Instead of "Video Game Generation", we have "Video Game Genealogy" and "Video Game Technological prowess". Video Game Genealogy will be the time frame Generation, and Video Game Technological Prowess will be the Technological Generation. That way, both sides can stop arguing about the stupid definition of a Generation.

KelDG

Dec 27, 2012
Mr.Mattress said:
KelDG said:
SNIP-A-LOT

I don't have a link to Video Game Console Generations Definition. But here is the Definition of a Generation, Courtasy of Dictionary.com [http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/generation]:
Wrong reply mate, I really don't care about the definition of generation, I even said so in the snipped bit of my quote. I would go grab the Oxford English dictionary if I cared, as should anyone else who gives a damn. The only thing I was saying was Wikipedia is not a credible source for information. The best that Wikipedia is, is a guide with links to proper citation. Don't get me wrong, I love Wikipedia and use it to guide me to relevant information all the time, but it is not a referenceable source of information.

Recap, the generation argument is for muppets.

Terramax

Jan 11, 2008
fix-the-spade said:
Did Sony put them up to this? Hey not-quite first party studio, spread some FUD about a competitor for us please.
Nope. A question in a Q&A from a fan apparently did.

CriticKitten said:
By the textbook definition of the term (meaning the time period in which it is released), yes, it is next-gen.
But the Dreamcast was released closer to the release date of the PS2, Gamecube and Xbox, yet people often associate with DC with the generation of the PS1, N64 and Saturn, right? Can you explain what I'm missing here (I'm asking this as a serious question, not to be a smart alec, as I've always run by your logic also, but people have always decried me as wrong)?

Jan 22, 2011
yet another developer not making games for the wii-u. I'm just going to leave this here, because I've got nothing else left to say.

[http://s1160.photobucket.com/user/cecilthedarkknight_234/media/Blunder_zpse5382981.jpg.html]

OldNewNewOld

Mar 2, 2011
A developer who thinks console generations are based on power...... why is someone like him having any saying in anything? Generations where never about hardware power because the original Xbox is a lost more powerful than the PS2.

Also, isn't Insomniac like Sony's 2nd party developer with few exceptions? Kinda obvious that they aren't working on the WiiU.

3rd gen. - NES
4th gen. - SNES
5th gen. - N64
6th gen. - GC
7th gen. - Wii
8th gen. - WiiU

You can't push it into the 7th gen since there is already a 7th gen Nintendo console. The WiiU is more powerful than the Wii, many times more powerful, so they can't be in the same generation.

nathan-dts

Jun 18, 2008
Raggedstar said:
Lvl 64 Klutz said:
Has Insomniac made anything for the XBox either? I thought they were almost exclusively Sony anyway. I expect I'm wrong, since that would kind of negate the point of the article, but I honestly can't think of anything Insomniac has made for a console that is not of the PlayStation brand.
Fuse is being made with an EA partnership, and I think is going to be on the 360 too. Though I think they also have a division within the company that works on mobile games too? But ya, mostly Sony and I agree with your thoughts ("We won't work with WiiU" says developer who's 90% of games are with Sony platforms).
That's because Sony published the games. Now they have a third party publisher which would allow them to release multiplatform and they still choose to avoid the Wii U.

David Mallet

May 1, 2010
This is a sad sign of the times. These day AAA developers spend more time on high end graphics than on the mechanics and fail to meet the quality of the PS2 era. Consider this, video games are like a Sundae, the game play mechanics is the ice cream the story is the chocolate sauce and the graphics are the sprinkles. If the ice cream is bad, the sundae will suck no matter how many sprinkles are added. In other words, If the game play mechanics are bad, the game will suck no matter how good the graphics are. Yes, the Wii U doesn't have the graphical potential that PS4 & Xbox Infinite have, but AAA developers act like graphics are the most important part of the game. If that were true then games like Minecraft and Angry Birds wouldn't be as successful as they are. Imagine what games would be like today if they only used half the current budget for graphics and put the rest on the mechanics? Look at Nintendo (I know that not everyone likes their games), for the most part Graphics are the last thing that they consider when making a game. They always focus on the game play mechanics first and they will start from scratch even if the game is almost finished if they feel that mechanics just aren't up to their standards. Why do you think Pikmin 3 has been delayed for so long.

jpoon

Mar 26, 2009
My lord, I'm just gobsmacked at how fucking stupid Nintendo's leadership is. The U is turning out to be a complete disaster. Not to mention that they keep releasing games on the Wii U VC that no one wants to play (Solomon's Key, Xevious?! WTH?) and devs keep bailing week-after-week.

Not good nintendo, and every bit of it is because of your poor choices on how to make this console. Pretty bummed I bought the U at this point. At least a few decent games are coming out for it before it goes down in flames, I hope.

Nintendo needs to watch Jimquisitions video about innovation for the sake of innovation, they could learn a thing or twenty.

The Lunatic

Princess
Jun 3, 2010
The WiiU is shaping up to be a fair bit of a flop.

It's always going to have some supporters, but, the fact is, the console is too far behind the curve than what people want.

A lot of people, want a typical console, with more power.

They don't want a giant gamepad with a screen on it.

They don't want waggle sticks and tennis attachments for their controllers.

They just want to sit down and play a video game with a control they're familiar with.

That's really all there is to it. Blame it on "Graphics being more important" or whatever you want.

The fact is, if the product is not enticing to the consumer, they're not going to be interested.

The Wii worked because it had its own unique games. It didn't matter that they didn't look as good, because they were stylised, a Mario game isn't going to require the PS3's level of hardware.

Now with the WiiU, these stylised games, really aren't looking much better than the Wii, and the more mainstream games the WiiU can run, look pretty identical to their console companions.

So, what this results to it the following.

Do I like Mario games? - Stick to a Wii.

Do I like mainstream titles? - Stick to your current console.

The only main selling points the WiiU has is the Controller, and honestly, most people don't like it.

Tanakh

Jul 8, 2011
deadish said:
Tanakh said:
Fine it's a next-gen console ... with last gen's hardware.

A next gen console case with last gen's internals.

Happy?

A Ferrari with a Ford Model-T engine is still a Ferrari right?
Bro, missquote. I didn't wrote that, in fact I think it's quite dumb and oblivious towards the use of language.

Edit: Also, NO, a Ferrari with a ford model-t engine is certainly no Ferrari!

mew4ever23

Mar 21, 2008
Given that Insomniac has spent the vast majority producing sony exclusives, this is not news.

It's unfortunate that we're seeing the same launch the 3DS had - very few games worth buying. Nintendo needs to start pumping these games in the pipeline out, fast. This is going to be a critical e3 for nintendo - oh wait. They cancelled. Idiots.

novem

Nov 18, 2009
My question: Does anyone really want PORTS on the WiiU? Exclusives built for the system sure, but I have no interest in games that are available on other systems. I have a very powerful PC so anything that is multiplatform I will simply get for that and a year or so down the road I will probably buy a PS4 as well.

The strength of the WiiU is that it can offer experiences that you can?t get on the other consoles and a port of games made for other consoles are never going to make use of that strength beyond throwing in something gimmicky and pointless.

Snowblindblitz

Apr 30, 2011
novem said:
My question: Does anyone really want PORTS on the WiiU? Exclusives built for the system sure, but I have no interest in games that are available on other systems. I have a very powerful PC so anything that is multiplatform I will simply get for that and a year or so down the road I will probably buy a PS4 as well.

The strength of the WiiU is that it can offer experiences that you can?t get on the other consoles and a port of games made for other consoles are never going to make use of that strength beyond throwing in something gimmicky and pointless.
Yep. Zero interest in a PS4 or Next-box. Too expensive compared to my PC, more hassle then my PC, and one, from current rumors, wants to charge me to use the damn thing. I hope the Wii U wins just because of my growing disdain for microsoft and sony.