Insomniac: We Do PlayStation 3 Better Than Anyone

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
Insomniac: We Do PlayStation 3 Better Than Anyone

Insomniac Games' Ted Price thinks his studio has the highest level of skill at working with the PlayStation 3.

Insomniac Games might have ended its longtime development exclusivity [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/100905-Insomniac-Goes-Multiplatform-After-16-Years-of-Sony] with Sony consoles recently, but definitely not because the PlayStation 3 is too hard to work with. Insomniac Games CEO Ted Price recently said in an interview that he believes he's got the best PlayStation 3 team in the business.

The PlayStation 3 was once notorious for being a tough system to develop for, with companies like Valve annoyed with its complexity [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/92333-Valve-Says-PS3-Complexity-Hinders-Game-Development]. Price thinks his team has risen to the PlayStation 3 challenge better than any other.

"First and foremost, I think we have a world-class engine team," he told Electronic Gaming Monthly. "In particular, they focus heavily on using the PS3′s SPUs more effectively (in my opinion) than anyone else in the business."

Insomniac was right there during the PlayStation 3's launch with the release of Resistance 3 [http://www.amazon.com/Resistance-Fall-Man-playstation-3/dp/B000JLIXIG/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1287499662&sr=8-1] believed to be coming out in 2011. This is an interesting statement made by Price because it seems to be made solely from a technological standpoint, but the use of technology typically leads right back into what a studio can do with design.

Price says Insomniac kept revising its PS3 "tech" after the release of Resistance which has allowed it to reach the level of skill it has today. Insomniac is definitely one of the PlayStation 3's top developers, but I think Naughty Dog, the studio behind Killzone 3 [http://www.amazon.com/UNCHARTED-2-Among-Thieves-Playstation-3/dp/B002I0F5I2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1287500010&sr=8-1], might have a few bones to pick with who's "the best." But of course, who's really going to say that his own studio, which could be compared to one's child, isn't the best at everything.

Source: CVG [http://www.gamesthirst.com/2010/10/18/insomniac-no-one-can-handle-the-ps3-like-we-do/]

Trogdor1138

May 28, 2010
That's a bit of a weird statement for a company to make, makes them look a bit of the asshole in the room.

I guess I should be used to it now though, it seems to be in every game company's contract to make at least 2 stupid baseless statements per year.

Super Toast

Supreme Overlord of the Basement
Dec 10, 2009
Yeah, I think the Uncharted series is better than anything Insomniac has done on the PS3 so far. They're an incredibly talented bunch, though.
Tom Goldman said:
snipetty dodah
What is your avatar from? I recognise it but I can't remember what game it's from...

May 25, 2010
Not sure why exactly he thinks that, but all of their games run great on the PS3, so I guess that's something.

As for who's the best studio, I seriously dislike Killzone 2 and Guerilla Games in general. As for Sony studios duking it out, I'd like to see Insomniac, Naughty Dog and Sucker Punch. They're the best.

dnadns

Divine Ronin
Jan 20, 2009
it really doesn't matter much who is saying this. If you have a look at most credits from all aforementioned studios, you will see that they usually collaborate heavily with each other. Especially when it comes to engine programming for the ps3.
Still, naughty dog and insomniac really stand out in my book.
What the engineers are doing there is truly inspiring and right out amazing. I'm pretty sure that it wouldnt even matter what platform they are working on, as long as there are enough limitations and "challenges" to promote creative design.

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
I can't say from personal experience, but I think Naughty Dog may have something to say about that.

I'd love to see them wrestle with a PC exclusive.

SmilingKitsune

Dec 16, 2008
Eh, don't get me wrong I loved Tools of Destruction and A crack in Time, but from a technical standpoint Uncharted 2 and Killzone 2 are both head and shoulders above anything Insomniac have released for the PS3.

midpipps

Feb 23, 2009
Super Toast said:
Yeah, I think the Uncharted series is better than anything Insomniac has done on the PS3 so far. They're an incredibly talented bunch, though.
Tom Goldman said:
snipetty dodah
What is your avatar from? I recognise it but I can't remember what game it's from...
I think it is "Out of This World"

OT: I love insomniac and have to agree they are in the top but I would say it is more of a tie with them and a few other companies like Naughty Dog. Either way it goes they do some amazing work with the ps3 hardware.

Covarr

PS Thanks
May 29, 2009
Hey guys, Konami wants a word. They developed this technical masterpiece called Metal Gear Solid 4. Whether or not you like the game, you've gotta admit it was quite the accomplishment on a technical level.

P.S. Thanks

SpaceMedarotterX

Jun 24, 2010
Covarr said:
Hey guys, Konami wants a word. They developed this technical masterpiece called Metal Gear Solid 4. Whether or not you like the game, you've gotta admit it was quite the accomplishment on a technical level.

P.S. Thanks
The game took 20 minutes to install between chapters. It was anything BUT a technical masterpiece, it was probably an unoptimized code hell

mjc0961

YOU'RE a pie chart.
Nov 30, 2009
While Uncharted 2 was impressive in single player, Insomniac never shipped a broken and awful multiplayer mode with any of their games that could not be fixed no matter how many changed were made to it. So I'm inclined to let Ted Price have this one.

Soviet Heavy

Jan 22, 2010
Killzone 2 had some of the most fluent multiplayer in my own experience, but I gotta love Ratchet and Clank.

When are the Insomniac and Naughty Dog PS2 collections coming?

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
Super Toast said:
Tom Goldman said:
snipetty dodah
Chrono Trigger

Andronicus

Terror Australis
Mar 25, 2009
Sorry Insomniac, I love you to pieces, but I think Naughty Dog is just slightly better. Don't feel disheartened though, go and make more awesomeness for me to play!

CheckD3

Dec 9, 2009
I love Insomniac...but I like Sucker Punch better. Sure they haven't made as much content as Insomniac, but they've always been slow w/ the games, but w/ Infamous 2 and their great Cooper Trilo coming out, they've got some strong games, very good story based ones at that.