Insomniac's Officially Done With Resistance

vansau

Mortician of Love
May 25, 2010
Insomniac's Officially Done With Resistance

Even though the Resistance series is still ongoing, Insomniac isn't going to be making any more games for it.

Insomniac's fearless leader Ted Price set off a firestorm of comments and speculation when he recently revealed that the studio was done making Resistance videogames. Apparently a lot of people were worried that this meant the actual series itself was finished. As a result, Price took to YouTube today to reassure fans that the Resistance franchise will continue, but it'll just be at the hands of other studios.

Sitting down for a "face-to-face" talk with YouTube viewers, Price clarified what's happening with the series that his company launched:

"We believe that Resistance has reached its logical conclusion - in terms of the story we wanted to tell. However, that doesn't mean the Resistance franchise isn't continuing. It's already in the capable hands of Nihilistic, and with Sony's shepherding we know it will continue to live on and expand. We're excited - as fanboys - to see where it goes."

The next Resistance game will be Resistance: Burning Skies, which is being developed for Vita by Nihilistic Software (though I feel obligated to point out that <a href=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nihilistic_Software>this studio's track record is way less impressive than Insomniac's). Insomniac, meanwhile, is working on the <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/7.289643-E3-Ratchet-Clank-Devs-Meld-Guns-Gadgets-and-Jokes-in-Overstrike> gleefully over-the-top shooter Overstrike.

gigastar

Insert one-liner here.
Sep 13, 2010
Ok so my favorite shooter series is now in the hands of a studio ive never heard of?

You can sense the anxiety, pleasedontfuckup...

Fiz_The_Toaster

books, Books, BOOKS
Legacy
Jan 19, 2011
Country
United States
This saddens me.

I love Resistance, and I just hope that the studio that's making that game for the Vita won't screw it up.

F'Angus

Nov 18, 2009
I love the Resistance games, they're the main reason I got a PS3. Resistance 3 is one of my goty, best shooter still. This is sad news. Personally though I'd rather the series end properly than another company go all Halo on us and make their own version.

EHKOS

Madness to my Methods
Feb 28, 2010
Yay, more time for Ratchet and Clank! Although I do feel sorry for those who liked Resistence. I might be one, but I haven't gotten around to it yet. To much Uncharted.

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
So, three and out just like Spro and Ratchet. New series time, hooray!

Here's hoping they nail it first time, Resistance 1 and 2 were a bit iffy, especially 2...

Jumplion

Mar 10, 2008
Damn, Price, any other company would just release an official statement regarding a franchise. You went in front of a camera and delivered the news face to face with the fans. Mad props, dude. This makes me respect you all the more.

Raggedstar

Jul 5, 2011
Nihilistic Games... Oh boy. Aren't they the guys that did that dreadful Ratchet/Jak/Sly crossover? As much as I couldn't give less of a damn about Resistance (more of a Ratchet girl myself), it makes me wonder why they gave it to them. Most likely a decision made by Sony more than Nihilistic Games (unless Nihilistic has some Insomniac connections like High Impact Games did).

I haven't heard any word about Ratchet being officially dropped, so I'll just hope they keep their hands on that one. I just can't fathom why they would leave one of Sony's most beloved franchises with something as weak as All 4 One (if it was the glowing beacon of the heavens like A Crack In Time then maybe). They kept him through one generation shift, so let's see. Kinda interested about Overstrike though. First person shooter? Meh. First person shooter WITH PERSONALITY? Perhaps not a day 1 purchase but maybe when prices go down.

EDIT: Also, props to Mr Price. I like the way he handled this video.

AlexiVolkov

Mar 30, 2011
nooooooooooooooo.com/

This is a sad day :<

I actually enjoyed Resistance quite a lot. I mean I'm glad its going to continue but it won't be the same.

Andronicus

Terror Australis
Mar 25, 2009
vansau said:
Apparently a lot of people were worried that this meant the actual series itself was finished.
If the result is anything like what happened with Spyro, I'd say it would cause much less distress to fans if the series was just finished.

Sniper Team 4

Apr 28, 2010
This makes me annoyed, but probably for different reasons than anyone else.
They didn't finish their version of Resistance. The second game hinted at, and the third game smacked you in the face with, the fact that there's another alien race out there. More powerful than the Chimera. So powerful, that they made the Chimera resort to desperate measures by invading Earth. The games kept hinting that there's something worse out there, and now Insomniac decides they don't want to elaborate on that? Way to take the carrot away.
I hope this new studio knows what it's doing, because it's going to have a few questions to answer story-wise.

Lancer873

Oct 10, 2009
I'm sorry, am I the only one who heard "moving on to other games, such as Overstrike" and instantly considered this good news? Overstrike had me at a trailer. Anyways... at least in this case the IP is not in the hands of a developer that's swiftly plummeting directly into the ground, and they had their choice rather than a "Screw you, keep the IP, we're out" deal. I'd hope Nihilistic is at least going to avoid turning Resistance into the thing that Spyro has become.

As far as Resistance and Insomniac, I got the distinct feeling that they kind of wanted to be free of the storyline with that last game. Not in the sort of fabled MGS2 "screw over the fanbase and maybe they'll stop caring" way as much as the "We want this series to go out with a bang, and we're going to wrap it up as best we can" way. Sort of like InFamous 2, except with a less depressing ending.

Waaghpowa

Needs more Dakka
Apr 13, 2010
So long as they don't do another one with the Vita, all will be well. We don't need another shooter being milked like Halo...

alik44

Sep 11, 2010
well at least they ended the series on a high note rather than run it into the ground. but as yahtzee said with halo reach this is not the last wil hear from resistance