Installing Older Software On Newer Hardware

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
Ok, I’m not tech savvy. Like, at ALL. I’ve used computers most of my career, but not unlike my having driven successfully most of my life, I am no mechanic. So my very general question, it’s the year 2021; is there no way to have newer hardware run older software? We’re emulating games from the ‘70s and ‘80s; why can’t a newer machine handle software as recent as the 2000s? Like, where do I need to be looking for a solve if such exists?

Back in the early 2000s, I bought a couple music making programs. Nothing fancy or elaborate, actually pretty basic in terms of what was available then. The programs are Magix Music Maker Generations 5 and 7. Over the course of several years on my old machine, I made quite a few pieces of music (a couple hundred full tracks and/or “ideas” I was building on) until my PC shit the bed and the hard drive crashed.

Anyway, I had SOME of the files backed up and have, since the early 2000s, been transferring them between work PCs and USB drives in the hopes I might one day be able to access them again. A couple weeks ago, I did a search for those old programs, and found BOTH on eBay for a steal. Once they came in and I confirmed they were what I needed, next move was my own laptop (been surviving on company laptops for over a decade,) so I bought something new but really basic thinking I wouldn’t need the latest and greatest to run these old audio programs again.

Alas, the new laptop works fine, but 1.) it won’t even begin the install on Gen 5, and 2.) about 99% of the way through install of Gen 7, I was told outright “This application cannot be installed on your laptop.” I'm gutted over here.

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
Making a virtual machine is probably the best bet but you can probably still find old xp machines for pretty cheap if you had the space and wanted to go that way too. You could also try installing it as an admin since it might be requesting those kinda rights. Just right click the icon and choose run as admin. I don't recall if you can try installing a program in compatibility mode. But compatibility mode is kinda iffy, sometimes it works great, sometimes nadda.

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
I'd suggest using VirtualBox to create a Windows XP virtual machine, and then trying to install the programs to that.
Making a virtual machine is probably the best bet but you can probably still find old xp machines for pretty cheap if you had the space and wanted to go that way too. You could also try installing it as an admin since it might be requesting those kinda rights. Just right click the icon and choose run as admin. I don't recall if you can try installing a program in compatibility mode. But compatibility mode is kinda iffy, sometimes it works great, sometimes nadda.
Thanks for the responses!

Can I trouble you to expound on what exactly that entails? How do I direct the installation to the VM as opposed to what's already on my laptop? Gen 5 wouldn't even begin installation (the external drive whirs then quits without any notification,) and Gen 7 got 99% through installation, and said it couldn't. Does a virtual machine replace my current OS, or does it run concurrently, i.e.: an additional option next to what's installed on my laptop? And will my laptop recognize the VM when vetting compatibility with the software I'm trying to install? (Sorry, I'm really ignorant as to the inner workings of these modern gadgetries; don't be afraid to talk down to me like a child and use profanity; I deserve it.)

09philj

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 31, 2015

Can I trouble you to expound on what exactly that entails? How do I direct the installation to the VM as opposed to what's already on my laptop? Gen 5 wouldn't even begin installation (the external drive whirs then quits without any notification,) and Gen 7 got 99% through installation, and said it couldn't. Does a virtual machine replace my current OS, or does it run concurrently, i.e.: an additional option next to what's installed on my laptop? And will my laptop recognize the VM when vetting compatibility with the software I'm trying to install? (Sorry, I'm really ignorant as to the inner workings of these modern gadgetries; don't be afraid to talk down to me like a child and use profanity; I deserve it.)
A virtual machine is an OS running inside a window on your main OS. It's files are isolated from your main OS, so you can install whatever files you like without fear of harming your computer. To install software to it, you'd just need to access the disk from the virtual machine rather than your primary OS.

Reactions: Xprimentyl

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
A virtual machine is an OS running inside a window on your main OS. It's files are isolated from your main OS, so you can install whatever files you like without fear of harming your computer. To install software to it, you'd just need to access the disk from the virtual machine rather than your primary OS.
Ah, I think I might understand. I'll take a look into it. Either way it goes, though, thank you for your time and providing at least SOME hope.

Baffle

Elite Member
Oct 22, 2016
Dunno if it helps, but I have a copy of Music Studio 2005 Deluxe, which is also by Magix, that I'd be happy to ship to the US. I've never used it, but I'm sure I've installed it on a post-Windows 7 machine. A colleague gave it to me a long time ago, but I'm about as musical as [insert name of musician you hate].

Worgen

Legacy
Apr 1, 2009

You can download either virtualbox or vmware, both have free versions. You will need to provide the operating system though, if you have an old xp disk or something laying around that would do it, or you can probably easily find xp online. It will take up about 30 gigs of drive space and the more ram you have the better since for xp you want to give it at least 2 gigs of ram. It won't do anything to your current system except take up disk space.

Site didn't notify me so I didn't see this till now.

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
Dunno if it helps, but I have a copy of Music Studio 2005 Deluxe, which is also by Magix, that I'd be happy to ship to the US. I've never used it, but I'm sure I've installed it on a post-Windows 7 machine. A colleague gave it to me a long time ago, but I'm about as musical as [insert name of musician you hate].
I appreciate that, very kind and thoughtful of you, but I have the software I need, just can't use 'em (yet...)

You can download either virtualbox or vmware, both have free versions. You will need to provide the operating system though, if you have an old xp disk or something laying around that would do it, or you can probably easily find xp online. It will take up about 30 gigs of drive space and the more ram you have the better since for xp you want to give it at least 2 gigs of ram. It won't do anything to your current system except take up disk space.

Thanks. I downloaded VirtualBox, but can't seem to figure out how to actually run the install of the software through it. I just need to read the documentation for some clarity one what the actual fuck I'm doing, but haven't had the time over the past few days. But I'm not giving up! (yet...)

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States

Ok, so I completely misunderstood; I need to download another OS (Windows XP) entirely. I thought the Virtual Machine WAS the OS. So, if I can trouble you (or anyone,) wheres a good place to download XP? I see quite a few, but having rarely been in the market for downloadable software of the non-video games variety, I'm not sure which might be the "good" ones.

Also, this won't REPLACE my current OS (Windows 10 Pro,) will it? It just give the Virtual Machine what it needs to work with separately, correct?

09philj

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 31, 2015
Ok, so I completely misunderstood; I need to download another OS (Windows XP) entirely. I thought the Virtual Machine WAS the OS. So, if I can trouble you (or anyone,) wheres a good place to download XP? I see quite a few, but having rarely been in the market for downloadable software of the non-video games variety, I'm not sure which might be the "good" ones.

Also, this won't REPLACE my current OS (Windows 10 Pro,) will it? It just give the Virtual Machine what it needs to work with separately, correct?
The file you're looking for is WindowsXPMode_en-us.exe. (Which you can get here: https://download.cnet.com/Windows-XP-Mode/3000-18513_4-77683344.html). Once you get that exe you just need to follow these instructions to turn the exe into a format VirtualBox can use: https://helpdeskgeek.com/virtualization/how-to-set-up-a-windows-xp-virtual-machine-for-free/ Basically, it involves using 7ZIP to extract all the files from the exe, and then editing one filename to change it's filetype to a format VirtualBox can read.

Worgen

Legacy
Apr 1, 2009

Yeah, the virtual machine is just a software computer for the OS to run on. You need to provide your own. 09philj gives some good links. Here is a nice detailed rundown of how to get this downloaded and setup.

No, the VM (virtual machine) wont replace or really impact your current os at all, aside from taking up some disk space.

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
The file you're looking for is WindowsXPMode_en-us.exe. (Which you can get here: https://download.cnet.com/Windows-XP-Mode/3000-18513_4-77683344.html). Once you get that exe you just need to follow these instructions to turn the exe into a format VirtualBox can use: https://helpdeskgeek.com/virtualization/how-to-set-up-a-windows-xp-virtual-machine-for-free/ Basically, it involves using 7ZIP to extract all the files from the exe, and then editing one filename to change it's filetype to a format VirtualBox can read.
Thank you! The faith you place in me to do this correctly; I hope to not let you down.

Yeah, the virtual machine is just a software computer for the OS to run on. You need to provide your own. 09philj gives some good links. Here is a nice detailed rundown of how to get this downloaded and setup.

No, the VM (virtual machine) wont replace or really impact your current os at all, aside from taking up some disk space.
And thank you as well! The more instruction, the better!

Reactions: Boxet

Worgen

Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
Thank you! The faith you place in me to do this correctly; I hope to not let you down.

And thank you as well! The more instruction, the better!
Happy to help. Let us know if you need more assistance. There isn't really anyway for you to damage your system if you make a mistake while setting this up. Really the worse case is just having to start over.

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
Happy to help. Let us know if you need more assistance. There isn't really anyway for you to damage your system if you make a mistake while setting this up. Really the worse case is just having to start over.
Awesome; I just hope I don't prove you wrong that I can't screw this up! Gonna try this weekend; still working right now, but I'll report back for better or worse; you guys have been too kind to help for me to take your help and run without acknowledgement.

Worgen

Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
Awesome; I just hope I don't prove you wrong that I can't screw this up! Gonna try this weekend; still working right now, but I'll report back for better or worse; you guys have been too kind to help for me to take your help and run without acknowledgement.
There are little things that can impact the VM, but almost nothing that will impact your system as a whole, unless you do something like install it over the system 32 folder or something and I would be super impressed it you could manage that. Just make sure you have enough disc space for the VM since you will want to give it probably like 20-25 gigs at least for the virtual hard drive. And then just give it like 2 gigs of ram since 32 bit xp can't really use more and less will make it just annoying. But even if you don't initially set those perfect, you can go back and change the settings when the VM is off.