InstantAction CEO Says Retailers "Horribly Abuse" the Industry

Enkidu88

Jan 24, 2010
Companies like Ubisoft and EA, with their terrible DRM, are what's abusing the gaming industry.

karmapolizei

Sep 26, 2008
3nimac said:
He is just promoting his little website with a scandal. Or is trying to.

That, or, he is an idiot.
Precisely. I'm willing to bet a significant amount of money on the former, though, seeing as a) I'd never heard of InstantAction prior to this news article,
b) Castle and his company have nothing to complain about since retailers are out of the equation for them,
c) they thus have nothing to lose in pissing retailers off and
d) much to the contrary, they have a lot to win: customer and business partner attention for their impending relaunch.

It might have been a good idea to line out that particular motivation behind Castle's statement. The way it is, it's 100% InstantAction PR. Sorry, Escapist, but - for shame.

Flames66

Aug 22, 2009
I strongly disagree with him. It is opinions like his that are killing the gaming market. Like it or not, second hand sales keep games alive for decades after their original creators have stopped selling them, keeping peoples attention and interest.

CyberAkuma

Elite Member
Nov 27, 2007
As long as physical copies are not only superior but significantly cheaper than the overpriced digital distribution model of today, retail stores are never going to go away.

Why should I pay 60 Euros (80 USD) for Modern Warfare 2 on STEAM when I can buy the physical copy in a retail store for 20% less?

Bat Vader

Mar 11, 2009
Rentals and demos help the consumer make a choice on if they like the game or not. There have been plenty of times when I wanted to buy a game but I decided to rent it first and it turned out to be crappy.

This guy may not like places that rent games but at least it helps the consumer make a choice on what they like.

Nazrel

May 16, 2008
Kajin said:
I don't think I've ever set foot inside a Wal-Mart that had a used game section. Where is this guy getting his facts again?
A note on Wal-Mart, their business strategy involves bending there suppliers over a table.

Things are done on their terms or not at all regardless of other factors, they have quite literally driven companies out of business for being unable to accommodate their unreasonable demands.

dthree

Hey!
Jun 13, 2008
You definitely make a compelling point, and I appreciate the fact that you make me go through and rethink.
Caliostro said:
Then people claimed piracy was illegal because you were causing the loss of a potential sale - someone was getting the product without the developers getting paid. That is a giant slippery slope if you even bother to think about it, but it's not the point here. Point was, it's considered stealing because someone gets the product without the producer of said product receiving compensation.

Isn't that exactly what happens when you rent or resell a game? Someone is getting the product, and the producer is getting jack shit. Worst! Someone is making a profit out of it, and it's not the producer, cause he gets squat.
There is one main difference between pirating the game and buying it used. Just like when I sell my car, I can no longer drive it, the original owner of the used game no longer has it any more. Sure, maybe he has already played the it 100% and no longer is interested in it any more, but the used game market serves those who are willing to wait (and perhaps pay extra for DLC that was free to the first owner) in order to get the product at a lower price. People who aren't willing to wait form the main customer base for the publisher. Oh, and just to clarify, the developer does not lose out on any money to piracy, unless they self-publish.

I agree that the copyright system has it's problems, and they go way beyond this scenario, so I understand your desire for consistency in the laws. I'm also right there with you on the "lost sales" myths the businesses propagate, which even the US GAO is doubting now. Not to mention that I really hate defending GameStop, but my fear of what the rest of the entertainment industry (and perhaps others) would do if the right of first sale doctrine were successfully challenged worries me. Especially considering the kind of stuff they already want to do. [http://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2010/04/entertainment-industrys-dystopia-future] Is there any middle ground? I have no idea.

Treblaine

Jul 25, 2008
The question should be is if the games retail industry dies and all the publishers sell directly to customers... is that bad capitalism? By that, I mean will it lead to less competition to keep quality high and prices low.

I think it will be good for the industry as a whole, cut out the middle man, allow the big publishing houses to more directly compete on the much freer market of the internet rather than the oppressive high-street.

I mean it's not like these retail stores offer ANYTHING to us other than the games which they don't even make, they are useless for advice, you can't try-before-you-buy, and they completely fail in offering prices even remotely competitive with the internet. The only place I've ever found a deal is in their bargain-bin of PC games which seems to be more for stock-clearance than anything else.

Every time I walk into a Games retail store it is the same thing, game after game 120% to 130% the price it is on the internet, trading in is a complete rip-off compared to selling online. Again and again I walk in and walk out without buying anything, often I only go into game stores to remind me of what games to order from amazon.

mxfox408

Pee Eye Em Pee Daddy
Apr 4, 2010
Ha this guy is just pist off because he can longer get a cut off the game once a retailer trades or purchases the game used. Hell ea is so full of it i mean look at what they did with mass effect 2 dlc. You cant get dlc unless you pay $15 on the net for used copies. Greedy bastards.

Raziel_Likes_Souls

Mar 6, 2008
Andy Chalk said:
InstantAction CEO Says Retailers "Horribly Abuse" the Industry
InstantAction [http://www.instantaction.com/] CEO Louis Castle says videogame retailers are "parasites" who have "abused the industry horribly" with videogame rentals and used game sales.

Boo Hoo, I don't get money off of used games.

Seriously, if it wasn't for used games I'd be forced to stop gaming. Considering that HAZE is a over-hyped piece of crap, I didn't get laugh at my friend for getting it at full price. At least if it's bad, it's easy to return.