Insurgency Mod Respawns As Commercial Project

IanDavis

Blue Blaze Irregular 1st Class
Aug 18, 2012
Insurgency Mod Respawns As Commercial Project

The popular Source mod gets an update and a commercial release.

The original Insurgency mod was released for the Source Engine back in 2007. It quickly reached over one million downloads within the first week of its release and was voted as the best [a href=http://www.moddb.com/events/2007-mod-of-the-year-awards/features/players-choice-winners-showcase]mod of the year[/a] by ModDB users. Its particular mix lethal weapons and squad combat secured itself an audience in the crowded world of Source mods. Even though it's still up for download on Steam, the sands of time have mostly covered up the FPS, until now. New World Interactive, a six man indie outfit comprised mostly of the original mod squad, have dusted their old game off and are getting it polished up for a new release, this time as a commercial release.

Not fixing what isn't broken, New World is sticking with the Insurgency title. It will have the 32 player team battles that you'd expect from a PC shooter, as well as multiple classes and loadouts. Perhaps the most interesting element is the "3D VOIP", which will replace the typical server-wide chat with something more realistic. It will run in the ubiquitous Source Engine, something the developers should be well-acquainted with. More details about the various game modes and classes can be found on [a href=http://www.playinsurgency.com/about.html]the official site[/a].

New World is mostly comprised of mod veterans with both original Red Orchestra and Insurgency mods in their records. With their latest title, New World plans to move "away from a release-package publishing model to a persistent development process that adapts an established genre with the future of social gaming."

Interested parties can purchase early access for $19.99, landing them in the beta, which lets them playtest early builds and provide feedback to the devs. Insurgency will launch for PC and Mac (with a possible Linux release) later this year.

[gallery=1081]

Source: [a href=http://www.playinsurgency.com/]Insurgency[/a]

octafish

Apr 23, 2010
While this sounds good on paper I am concerned about the shallow DOF in the screenies. I prefer games to simulate the human eye, not a camera lens. Unless it is Beyond Good and Evil that is...

Smooth Operator

Oct 5, 2010
Well if you don't want to put $60 plus DLC tax on your next CoD experience might as well get this, to me it looks dull as balls.

Adam Jensen_v1legacy

I never asked for this
Sep 8, 2011
Mr.K. said:
Well if you don't want to put $60 plus DLC tax on your next CoD experience might as well get this, to me it looks dull as balls.
Listen to this man. He's seen the truth.

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
Was it really 2007? Dear God. Having waited this long they might find the ship has sailed as far as mass buyers go. Then again, I remember it being like a mash up of Day of Defeat and Battlefield 2, very fast and very unforgiving, which made a nice break from CoD style hit scans.

Al Ins. needed to be as good as most commercial releases was more stability. If it's got that this time round then I'll buy it

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
octafish said:
While this sounds good on paper I am concerned about the shallow DOF in the screenies. I prefer games to simulate the human eye, not a camera lens. Unless it is Beyond Good and Evil that is...
That's a post processing option, you can turn it off (even if it's not in the menu you can get it in the console on Source).

N3squ1ck

Mar 7, 2012
I might pick it up. Played the mod a bit, it was quite good :)

EDIT: Also there was a TotalBiscuit video on it a while ago that looked good too

TsunamiWombat

Sep 6, 2008
But what are they doing to justify this being a superior product to the completely free MOD? It sounds like they're just recreating it and making it look nicer.

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
TsunamiWombat said:
But what are they doing to justify this being a superior product to the completely free MOD? It sounds like they're just recreating it and making it look nicer.
I'd say the cost is in bug fixing and optimising.

Insurgency could be really, really temperamental and nobody really ever got to the bottom of why. I'd guess going through the code and fixing every conflict would make you want to get paid at the end.

TilMorrow

Diabolical Party Member
Jul 7, 2010
Well this is interesting news. I wonder where they got the funding to continue with this though after their kickstarter failed to collect enough money over five months ago. Still, not really interested in the game myself after playing the original mod. Didn't really click with me.