Intel Arc 750/770 gpu benchmarks - apparently pretty good, with some caveats

Chimpzy

Simian Abomination
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 3, 2020
Tech channels been posting benchmark videos on Intels newest gpus, the Arc A750 and A770 gpus.

It varies a lot from game to game, but overall it looks like they're capable of trading blows with the RTX 3060 and 6600, offering pretty good performance for your dollar.

That said, there's a couple things to consider before considering buying
  • Don't even bother if you're on an older system that doesn't support resizable bar. It is a plain necessity to have a good experience with these cards
  • Intel is definitely targetting modern games on modern game engines using DX12 and Vulkan. Older games on DX11 or below take a pretty huge hit on performance compared to Nvidia/AMD cards. This may get fixed with driver updates, but who knows when that'll be.
  • There seems to be some driver overhead issues when playing at 1080p, causing the cards to perform below expectations, regardless of title. This'll very likely get fixed with driver updates.
  • Just general bugs and issues, again probably driver issues. Which is only to be expected since Intels software is nowhere near as mature as the other two. Just keep in mind that buying one of these cards is basically a paid beta for at least the first couple months, but likely a year or more.
That said, it's kind of nice there's more than two choices again.

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia

Oh, Steve from GamersNexus is shitting all over the shroud design. Oh well, sorry Intel don't expect to sell many of these for the Internet's perfect tech guy has spoken.

Last edited:

Chimpzy

Simian Abomination
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 3, 2020

Oh, Steve from GamersNexus is shitting all over the shroud design. Oh well, sorry Intel don't expect to sell many of these for the Internet's perfect tech guy has spoken.
Maybe saving on build quality is how they can (theoretically) sell them a little cheaper.

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
Maybe saving on build quality is how they can (theoretically) sell them a little cheaper.
Maybe, maybe not. But now that GamersNexus has rubbished it, that card is in serious trouble because if the Almighty Steve declares it shite, lo is it so.

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra
  • Don't even bother if you're on an older system that doesn't support resizable bar. It is a plain necessity to have a good experience with these cards
  • Intel is definitely targetting modern games on modern game engines using DX12 and Vulkan. Older games on DX11 or below take a pretty huge hit on performance compared to Nvidia/AMD cards. This may get fixed with driver updates, but who knows when that'll be.
These are two of the major problems. The price points slot these cards directly in the "budget gamer" domain, but budget gamers play a lot of older games, and the absolute tanking in performance they see on these cards is a huge disincentive- and Intel is also closing the door on anyone running on older motherboards (also a "budget gamer" trait).

Chimpzy

Simian Abomination
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 3, 2020
Maybe, maybe not. But now that GamersNexus has rubbished it, that card is in serious trouble because if the Almighty Steve declares it shite, lo is it so.
I guess so. Seems kind of quaint to base your purchase decisions on whether Steve has things to complain about, if , you know, you intend to actually buy something eventually.

These are two of the major problems. The price points slot these cards directly in the "budget gamer" domain, but budget gamers play a lot of older games, and the absolute tanking in performance they see on these cards is a huge disincentive- and Intel is also closing the door on anyone running on older motherboards (also a "budget gamer" trait).
Yeah, that is a bit of a pickle. I can maybe understand wanting to focus on getting recent games running first, cuz they can presumably patch in the older APIs later, but considering the pricing, those hardware requirements are going to hurt its chances.

Phoenixmgs

The Muse of Fate
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
w/ M'Kraan Crystal
Just bought a RX 6650 XT today as the Intel card release and price point actually had me interested in getting a video card finally (just rocking a Ryzen APU). I saw the 6650 was literally the same price as the A770 price at Best Buy. I didn't realize GPU prices were no longer ridiculous and even on sale.

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
Just bought a RX 6650 XT today as the Intel card release and price point actually had me interested in getting a video card finally (just rocking a Ryzen APU). I saw the 6650 was literally the same price as the A770 price at Best Buy. I didn't realize GPU prices were no longer ridiculous and even on sale.
I got a 12GB 3080 for $1500 two months ago, which given exchange rate, GST and profit margin markups is about what they should have launched at here. So yeah, it’s all come back sort of near earth.

Reactions: Phoenixmgs

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
That fucking Australia Tax.
Well there’s also marquee markups. I bought the Asus ROG STRIX one and that’s classically been one of the more expensive trims you can get and even now those have lost another $100 from that. You can get my card now for $1399 and if that still makes you cringe, the Galax 10GB is $1000