Intelligent Alien Life May Be Found by 2040, SETI Astronomer Believes

Jodan

Mar 18, 2009
what is making them so optimistic all of a sudden? is there some new search method we dont know about. sounds like a search for funding to me. it would be cool if it were to succeed. but this seemed like a press confrence announcing the status quo

Flutterguy

Jun 26, 2011
God May Be Proven To Exist By 2050

The 420Pineal association claims they have reached a state of enlightenment never before achieved in human mysticism. The believe with the speed of their progress they will be able to meet with god and bring back definitive evidence of his existence in the next 40 years.

"Like we have gone really deep into the like inner universes man...we're totally going to find him in the next 40 years man" They report they have gone through a few thousand dimensions of the mind now, but by 2050 are estimating that number will reach the millions.

Quantum Glass

Mar 19, 2013
Swell.

I mean, yeah, by the time any signs of intelligent life reaches us the entire civilization that sent it will be long dead, but at least there'll be more funding.

Imperioratorex Caprae

Henchgoat Emperor
May 15, 2010
Interesting, so the alien overlords are willing to "let" us "know" of the possibility of E.T. life existing? What a suitable bait-and-switch ploy... Perhaps they'll even masquerade as the "unknown" race to make "First Contact" in order to keep up the charade, and benignly explain away a sudden surge of aliens in our midst.
Oh no I'm not paranoid, not at all. Its not like I'm one of them, misdirecting you all by posting paranoid conspiracy theories to further discredit our existence among you silly monkey-folk. I mean that would be stupid, wouldn't it. Of course you would never know if I was lying or not until the reckoning age comes and you pitiful monkey-meatbags bow and scrape before the almighty whose name shall not be spoken aloud by the unclean.

immortalfrieza

Elite Member
Legacy
May 12, 2011
Country
USA
Sir Thomas Sean Connery said:
iblis666 said:
BTW will anyone else be as sad as i will be if we dont find humanoid aliens? after all it has been mans dream for thousands of years to seek out new life and new civilizations and have sex with them.
They don't need to be humanoid though...
Tentacles are perfectly acceptable.

Seriously though, even if there is an intelligent species anywhere near enough to us to have a realistic chance of either of us seeing their transmissions, there's a few problems with the entire concept of SETI:

1. We assume that they will be at our level of technology and using the same methods of communication as we do. This is VERY unlikely, much much most likely is that they would either be using a method of communication more advanced than ours and thus undetectable to us and probably to them or be behind us in technology and thus not have any means of detecting or transmitting signals to us.

2. That we would be able to effectively capture and correctly interpret said transmissions if they were to send any and vise versa.

3. That said aliens would be interested at all in contacting us in any way.

I would say SETI is a waste of time and money on a complete shot in the dark that would be better spent on just about anything else, but at least when you shoot something in the dark you know there's something to shoot at, SETI doesn't even have that much. The entire idea of SETI is flawed from the outset.

Aug 1, 2010
immortalfrieza said:
tentacle snip
You know, the concept may be pointless and dumb, but the very idea excites the shit out of me.

And it is somewhat similar to a shot in the dark. There IS intelligent life out there. It isn't a question. SETI still probably won't find anything, but I don't care. Space makes me too happy to care. Aliens and the final frontier are some of the only things I absolutely refuse to be cynical or realistic about.

Besides, if the money wasn't being spent on this, it would probably be spent on something less useful and more destructive.

RandV80

Oct 1, 2009
Doesn't time play a massive factor in the galactic lottery wheel here? My understand is that when they look at things in space we're looking back in time by however many light years the object is away, so it would be the same with these singles wouldn't they?

So imagine there's another species out there as intelligent as us. But after 1000 years of exploitative technology & war ruining the planet, they all went extinct. Unfortunately, this happened a million years ago, and to have recieved the last single they sent hit our planet in 1850AD when we didn't have the technology to receive it.

So not only do we have to pick out the right star among billions, we have to get it at the right moment when the time span can stretch billions of years.

Racecarlock

Jul 10, 2010
I'm worried about what we'd do if they come here. I mean, we still have racists and homophobes and xenophobes. We can barely tolerate a different sexual orientation, never mind being from a different planet trillions of miles away. Or hundreds of lightyears. Fuck, whatever measurement.

geldonyetich

Aug 2, 2006
Lately, I've been thinking Orson Welles might have had the right idea with War Of The Worlds, a story where the aliens are ultimately wiped out because of Earth germs.

Just about every planet out there will have the potential to have evolved completely differently than Earth. The significance of this being of such severity that our immune systems might be so absolutely incompatible that they don't even have a chance to learn how to defend the body from alien microbes (and possibly vice versa). By landing on an alien planet, you'd basically be trying to rush billions of years of immune systems that evolved alongside pathogens in an instant - that's not going to happen; it's suicide.

This means it's not the life-bearing worlds we should be excited about, from a colonization perspective; colonizing a dead, sterile world is much, much less work than trying to move into one filled with species of microbes that our immune system is billions of years out of alignment of knowing what to do with.

So, if we live in such a busy universe, as many scientists speculate, here's you answer as to why we haven't been invaded yet: because life-bearing planets are nothing more than a massive bio-hazard to aliens. It's nasty enough that they wouldn't even want a planet in the same solar system, if they could help it!

The funny thing being that this is a real knee to the groin for most modern science fiction stories, which usually rush to have the protagonists sleeping with aliens just to enhance the sale potential of the novel.

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
Hes not technically wrong. we may find life by that date. we may find it any day actually. there is always a chance. when we will definatelly find it - noone can say.

ExtraDebit said:
The real question is: will they be able to play starcraft 3 with us? Imagine the lag on that!
They will play Zerg Rush on us in real life i think.

spartan231490

Jan 14, 2010
So his entire support for this claim is that "a million might be the right number to find something"? That's a really well-reasoned scientific approach right there.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
kiri2tsubasa said:
If that is the case then we better have a strong orbital defense capability because until they prove otherwise I will assume that all Xenos are hostile.
What counts as a strong orbital defense capability, though? The capabilities of the aliens would be totally unknown.

Actually, not true, we'd know they have the technology to get here, which puts them rather ahead of us.

Chessrook44

Legacy
Feb 11, 2009
Country
United States
To those of you saying that there's no way any other life out there or that the kind of communication they have won't exist or something... look up Drake's Equation. It's an equation meant to give a rough idea (Yes, based on estimates and what little known knowledge we have) of just how many intelligent civilizations there are out there broadcasting detectable communications RIGHT NOW. The exact number can indeed be wildly variable depending on how optimistic or pessimistic you are with certain numbers, and whether you add certain other numbers that you think are important or not, but it can prove interesting.

No matter what, though, the answer will ALWAYS equal one or higher.

Karadalis

Apr 26, 2011
Welp... time to realize the X-com project in time for our new would be overlords to arive.

Daverson

Nov 17, 2009
Zhukov said:
What if they're not using electromagnetic signals?

If there are advanced aliens, they could have any number of way of communicating or whatever that we've never even imagined.
Technically, yes. However, we don't really want to talk to these guys (they'd likely either ignore us, try to destroy us, or worst of all, try to help us D= ). We want to talk to guys who are on the same level as us and "selfcongratulate" each other.

"Hey... hurr... Slugmen, you figured out relativity yet?"
"Hurr hurr... Yeah Monkeymen... hey... hey Monkeymen... hurr... you figured out string theory yet?"
"Hurr hurr... yeah... hurr... hey, hey, hey, Slugmen?"
"...yeah?"
"You found other intelligent life yet?"
"lolololololololololololololololol"
...and so on, and so forth.

May 29, 2011
Following the grand escapist tradition of "this one guy with an education in the subject thinks this thing" articles.
xPixelatedx said:
Man it's sure going to be funny once people finally see space isn't full of Star Trek forehead-aliens. I would die happy if I just got to witness that enormous blow to human-ego.

I'm also really curious to see the fallout in all the religions around the world. Books and movies could be made about this alone.
I don't think anyone believes that.

Even hard core Star Trek fans mostly realize that the aliens are like that because of budget constraints. Convincing costumes of inhuman aliens (that don't look fucking stupid or are impossible to act in) are very difficult to make and would introduce impossible time constraints. It was mostly a matter of convenience.

Hell look at star wars. Big movie with big budget = admiral ackbar.

I really don't see why it would be a "blow to the human ego", when only an idiot would think that aliens are likely to look like that.

moggett88

May 2, 2013
This article gave me a horrible thought. Think about most media with aliens in - they're usually super advanced, older races than humans. Precursors, that kind of thing.

Consider Fox News. Consider Youtube comments. Consider reality television.

What if we are the oldest, wisest species in the universe?! Dear gods.