Interactive Fiction

Thiefree

Jul 2, 2009
AKA text adventures. Now I know I'm a couple of decades late for this bandwagon, but people still make them and people still play them. I was wondering if any of those people are here.

If so, what platform do you use? I've long been a fan of the ADRIFT system, but the community's stagnated lately, and I was wondering what other options are available (and fairly programming-light, ideally).

Feel free to recommend games and authors you've liked, it's high time I got back into it!

TK421

Apr 16, 2009
One that I played was fun/comical. It isn't a full game but thats ok. It's on homestarrunner.

KasaiAisu

Jul 22, 2008
Not sure if this counts, but ms paint adventures is always entertaining. It's not really a game, more of a webcomic though.

Aquashy

Jun 29, 2009
I also use ADRIFT occasionally. It's the only half-decent engine I've found, honestly.

Aquashy

Jun 29, 2009
mspencer82 said:
There's always the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy game. It's absolutely unkind at times, but it's fun too.

http://www.douglasadams.com/creations/infocomjava.html
That's awesome. I'll dump hours on this. Thanks (Jerk)

:D

captainwalrus

Jul 25, 2008
A Mind Forever Voyaging. It's one of the few text adventures that really engrossed me. Beautifully written, awesome storyline.

Clashero

Aug 15, 2008
Hm.... I can't remember the name of this one, but I think it's called Bureaucracy. You play a businessman with a new company trying to solve loads and loads of problems, and you have a blood pressure meter. Everytime you type something the engine can't recognize ("You can't PUNCH THAT SUCKER IN THE FACE ALREADY") or something stressful happens in the game, your BP goes up and if it goes too high you get a stroke and die.
The game is always funny, right from the beginning, where you fill a form that scrambles your choices, changes your gender, etc.

Thiefree

Jul 2, 2009
Aquashy said:
I also use ADRIFT occasionally. It's the only half-decent engine I've found, honestly.
Brilliant, just to play, or do you write as well? I think I only ever published one game, back in the day, called Crazy Old Bag Lady :p It's still out there, and still buggy...
mspencer82 said:
Have you tried Zork? :D

There's always the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy game. It's absolutely unkind at times, but it's fun too.

http://www.douglasadams.com/creations/infocomjava.html
Icome back to the HHG2G game every couple of years, it's wonderfully frustrating! For the first year or so I didn't make it past the babel fish puzzle...
I never gave Zork a fair go, to be honest, I might have to give it a try again.
Sauvastika said:
A Mind Forever Voyaging. It's one of the few text adventures that really engrossed me. Beautifully written, awesome storyline.
That sounds great, can you link to it?
Clashero said:
Hm.... I can't remember the name of this one, but I think it's called Bureaucracy. You play a businessman with a new company trying to solve loads and loads of problems, and you have a blood pressure meter. Everytime you type something the engine can't recognize ("You can't PUNCH THAT SUCKER IN THE FACE ALREADY") or something stressful happens in the game, your BP goes up and if it goes too high you get a stroke and die.
The game is always funny, right from the beginning, where you fill a form that scrambles your choices, changes your gender, etc.
Hahaha sounds like an IF writer I know... if you find it, let me know, I want to see if I'm right!

I'd like to recommend the PK girl to you. It's an adventure game with elements of Japanese dating sim, and I find it endlessly fascinating. It's HUGE. There are so many different routes to take, I'll never get tired of it. It's an ADRIFT game, but it's well worth downloading the system for this game alone.

captainwalrus

Jul 25, 2008
Thiefree said:
Sauvastika said:
That sounds great, can you link to it?[
Here [http://www.abandonia.com/en/games/388/A+Mind+Forever+Voyaging.html]

It's an incredibly old game, and the guy says you'll need WinFrotz to run it properly; I think you'll also be able to run it off DOSBox. It's a bit of a hassle, but in the end, it's worth it.

More Fun To Compute

Nov 18, 2008
I have messed around with Inform 7 for writing them but not finished anything. I really like it. The natural language system is a joy to work with and it comes with very good tools and documentation.

The last game I played was Shade [http://www.ifiction.org/games/play.phpz?cat=&game=297&mode=html] which I thought was top notch. I don't play them that often so I have a backlog since I see new interesting ones more often than I play them.

sneak_copter

Nov 3, 2008
Thiefree said:
AKA text adventures. Now I know I'm a couple of decades late for this bandwagon, but people still make them and people still play them. I was wondering if any of those people are here.

If so, what platform do you use? I've long been a fan of the ADRIFT system, but the community's stagnated lately, and I was wondering what other options are available (and fairly programming-light, ideally).

Feel free to recommend games and authors you've liked, it's high time I got back into it!
Use Inform 7. No programming at all involved, it all uses simple English such as...

Player is in "Dusty Caverns"

North of "Dusty Caverns" is "Hollow Cave"

In "Hollow Cave" there is a "Man"
... and so on.

NeutralMunchHotel

Jun 14, 2009
Thiefree said:

Does Phoenix Wright count? It is technically interactive fiction, only with pictures, and I think that makes it far more immersive than many books that I've read. You could say it was nothing more than an electronic picture book, but I dare you do play the last case in any game and say that that wasn't clever writing.

More Fun To Compute

Nov 18, 2008
Gilbert Munch said:
Does Phoenix Wright count? It is technically interactive fiction, only with pictures, and I think that makes it far more immersive than many books that I've read. You could say it was nothing more than an electronic picture book, but I dare you do play the last case in any game and say that that wasn't clever writing.
I dunno. Would you go into a novel thread and argue that comic books were novels because you prefer Batman to any books you have read?

Interactive fiction is normally only used for games controlled with text. Graphic adventure or just adventure covers games like Phoenix Wright. The Japanese games that are mostly text with pictures but have almost not interactivity let alone a text parser are called visual novels. There are actually some games in the Interactive Fiction scene like this but I wouldn't want to get too hung up on taxonomy.

Thiefree

Jul 2, 2009
Well said, MFTC.

I downloaded I7 a long time ago, but found the manual quite intimidating and never gave it a fair go. I'll check it out again soon, it could be fun!

I've played some absolutely amazing Adrift games in my time, I've always got handfuls of recommendations...
To Hell in a Hamper, by JJ Guest: you have to beat your travelling companion into submission to avoid flying a hot-air balloon into a mountain)
The Plague (Redux): A terrifyingly atmospheric game. Had me edgy about train travel for months afterwards!
Unauthorized Termination: You play as a robot detective. No, seriously. And it's great.

Other games, like Unraveling God and The Wheels Must Turn, are wonderful - but possibly more story than game.

LogicNProportion

Mar 16, 2009
There's a pretty fun one over at www.homestarrunner.com

It's called Peasant's Quest, I believe. =]

Funny as Hell, and please, don't use logic. XD