Interactive Scale of the Universe will blow your mind.

Blunderboy

Apr 26, 2011
Well it certainly blew mine.
Interactive Scale of the Universe [http://www.onemorelevel.com/game/scale_of_the_universe_2012]
You really can't help be feel insignificant, but at the same time, it's strangely comforting to know that there are continents on earth bigger than whole planets out there in the vast cosmos.

For discussion value, any parts that especially made your mind explode?
I live in hope this won't descend into science versus religion, but if you want to bring that up in a mature and reasonable way (fat chance I know, but I live in hope) then go for it.

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
soo...the universe...yeah I guess thats impressive..

all Im thinking of is that fucking japanise spider crab...*shudder*

EDIT: also..."quark" hehehhehehehe

Blunderboy

Apr 26, 2011
Yeah, I'm staying the hell away from those crabs and those 10 meter earthworms.
My brain is finding it hard to cope with the fact that Minecraft worlds are actually bigger than Earth. Assuming they were a physical thing.

Blunderboy

Apr 26, 2011
Dr. Pepper Unlimited said:
That's rather interesting. I actually had to google a few items on there that I didn't know existed.
If you click on them it gives you the basic information.

Carnage95

Sep 21, 2009
Wow... that was so amazing. I'll have to google more information about the stuff on there. It is certainly interesting and also scary, as wonderful and spectacular as it is to look at the universe's stars and galaxies, I would hate to be out there in its sea of darkness.

As Seen On 360

Jan 22, 2012
This puts Google Maps to shame, looking up directions shouldn't lag when I can see the universe in perspective instantly!

Jokes aside, this is really humbling. Anyone know why Io has sparks coming off of it? Those could be geysers... not sure what Io is anyway, it's near the Moon though. Nice find, I'll have to show my friend who is all about the sciences.

WhyBotherToTry

Jun 22, 2011
That was incredible. There were so many things there I didn't even know existed. The fact that The universe could be that much larger than we think it is really puts everything into perspective. Also, it was really cool going to the far ends of the spectrum and pulling the bar across really quickly.

BiscuitTrouser

Elite Member
May 19, 2008
Vault101 said:
soo...the universe...yeah I guess thats impressive..

all Im thinking of is that fucking japanise spider crab...*shudder*

EDIT: also..."quark" hehehhehehehe
I too share a deep ingrained loathing and disgust for large chitinous creatures. Particularly the spider crab. I know that feel.

The universe is fantastic. This needs more Carl Sagan.

"The world is a very small stage in a vast cosmic arena"

Isnt existance awesome? Everything we achieved and did is on this tiny speck. Imagine looking at a bucket of water under an electron microscope and seeing EVERY SINGLE poem, story, song, tale, adventure and life written on a single neutron inside a single water molecule. Imagine that. How amazed we would be. And yet to scale what we have done is even more impressive.

Iammatt

Feb 21, 2009
God this really makes me wish mass space exploration would happen in my life time

GoaThief

Reinventing the Spiel
Feb 2, 2012
Douglas Adams said:
CARELESS TALK :

It is of course well known that careless talk costs lives, but the full scale of the problem is not always appreciated.

For instance, at the very moment that Arthur said "I seem to be having tremendous difficulty with my lifestyle," a freak wormhole opened up in the fabric of the space-time continuum and carried his words far far back in time across almost infinite reaches of space to a distant Galaxy where strange and warlike beings were poised on the brink of frightful interstellar battle.

The two opposing leaders were meeting for the last time.

A dreadful silence fell across the conference table as the commander of the Vl'hurgs, resplendent in his black jewelled battle shorts, gazed levelly at the G'Gugvuntt leader squatting opposite him in a cloud of green sweet-smelling steam, and, with a million sleek and horribly beweaponed star cruisers poised to unleash electric death at his single word of command, challenged the vile creature to take back what it had said about his mother.

The creature stirred in his sickly broiling vapour, and at that very moment the words I seem to be having tremendous difficulty with my lifestyle drifted across the conference table.

Unfortunately, in the Vl'hurg tongue this was the most dreadful insult imaginable, and there was nothing for it but to wage terrible war for centuries.

Eventually of course, after their Galaxy had been decimated over a few thousand years, it was realized that the whole thing had been a ghastly mistake, and so the two opposing battle fleets settled their few remaining differences in order to launch a joint attack on our own Galaxy - now positively identified as the source of the offending remark.

For thousands more years the mighty ships tore across the empty wastes of space and finally dived screaming on to the first planet they came across - which happened to be the Earth - where due to a terrible miscalculation of scale the entire battle fleet was accidentally swallowed by a small dog.

Those who study the complex interplay of cause and effect in the history of the Universe say that this sort of thing is going on all the time, but that we are powerless to prevent it.

"It's just life," they say.
Oh how I love the Hitch-Hiker's Guide, very deep and more close to universal truth than many give it credit for.

Xenowolf

Feb 3, 2012
It's mindblowing how large the universe is, and even more mindblowing how small quark length is, especially when you compare it to the size of the universe.
As Seen On 360 said:
Anyone know why Io has sparks coming off of it? Those could be geysers... not sure what Io is anyway
Io is one of the moons of Jupiter and it is very volcanically active.

Vegosiux

May 18, 2011
Yes, the universe is quite a big thing, yet you only need about 40 decimal spaces of pi to calculate its size to the precision of the size of a proton, how mind blowing is that?

Lionsfan

I miss my old avatar
Jan 29, 2010

It's things like this that make me really wish for reincarnation or something. Because when you look up at the sky there's just so much out there, and I wish I could explore out there

MammothBlade

It's not that I LIKE you b-baka!
Oct 12, 2011
Some of the descriptions (click on the objects) are quite quirky and amusing.

I must have been messing about with it for a good half an hour. Thanks for posting this.

imnot

Apr 23, 2010
Saw this a week or so ago, loved the first too

but.

If you click the worm it says if you cut it in half it wil lgrow into a new worm.
THIS IS NOT TRUE I WIL LSPAM HIS EMAIL WITH ANGRY MESSAGES TILL IT IS FIXED RAGE D:< ANGRYFACES