International Guardians of the Galaxy Trailer Goes For Drama

MovieBob

Dec 31, 2008
International Guardians of the Galaxy Trailer Goes For Drama

Get a first glimpse of Star-Lord's origin in epic new trailer

Marvel Studios spent the last few weeks taking the first substantial hit to its once-invincible "cred" with fandom over the debacle. [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/134763-Edgar-Wright-No-Longer-Directing-Marvels-Ant-Man] And while they're expected to get a big publicity boost out of whatever is in the works for SDCC, the next tangible test of their continued brand-strength is August's release of their risky (and expensive) action/comedy/space-opera Guardians of the Galaxy; the new "international" trailer for which has just hit the web.

While the film's previous two trailers focused on establishing the offbeat sensibilities of its world, combining comedic moments and unusual characters/locations with intentionally out-of-place popular music cues ("Hooked on a Feeling" and "Spirit in The Sky"); this one plays things more-or-less straight - at least, as straight as they can be played when one of your main characters is a gunslinging space raccoon. That's not exactly surprising: This trailer was cut primarily for territories outside the U.S., where certain idioms and pop-culture references might not be as immediately familiar.

It also contains a smattering of footage not seen in previous trailers, including our first look at the origins of Star-Lord, aka Peter Quill, a spacefaring human abducted from Earth as a child in the early 1980s. There's also some new shots of main villain Ronan the Accuser, the Nova Corps, Glenn Close as Nova Prime and "The Knowhere" - a galactic hub constructed in the planet-sized decapitated head of a massive alien Celestial.

Guardians will be the last Marvel Studios production to hit theaters in advance of Avengers: Age of Ultron. Written and directed by Super helmer James Gunn, it follows a ragtag group of alien fugitives who band together to protect a valuable (and dangerous) relic sought by the evil galactic supervillain Thanos.

Source: Marvel UK [https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3CqymRQ1uUU]

ron1n

Jan 28, 2013
Written and directed by Super helmer James Gunn, it follows a ragtag group of alien fugitives who band together to protect a valuable (and dangerous) relic sought by the evil galactic supervillain Thanos.
Anyone else find it weird how all the focus has been on Thanos and how the film will tie into Avengers?

I mean, Ronan the Accuser is the actual main antagonist in this and it would be unlikely we'd even have Thanos mentioned outside of another final scene/mid credits cameo.

Ronan could actually be a pretty interesting villain if done right, as he's not typically 'evil' per say (at least not always) Keen to see if the Supreme Intelligence becomes part of the story too.

Burchy22

Oct 1, 2012
I'd say going the drama route is a bad idea, this trailer is the bottom of the three. Since people don't know this films its biggest selling point is that they are just making it look so fun and epic.
Not to say it won't have good drama, I'm just saying trying to use it as a selling point instead of the fun-ness isn't advised.

saltyanon

Sep 18, 2013
MovieBob said:
That's not exactly surprising: This trailer was cut primarily for territories outside the U.S., where certain idioms and pop-culture references might not be as immediately familiar.
Really? I mean, I may have missed several references, but I think the out-of-placeness of Hooked on a Feeling was humorous on its own.

VoidWanderer

Sep 17, 2011
ron1n said:
Written and directed by Super helmer James Gunn, it follows a ragtag group of alien fugitives who band together to protect a valuable (and dangerous) relic sought by the evil galactic supervillain Thanos.
Anyone else find it weird how all the focus has been on Thanos and how the film will tie into Avengers?

I mean, Ronan the Accuser is the actual main antagonist in this and it would be unlikely we'd even have Thanos mentioned outside of another final scene/mid credits cameo.

Ronan could actually be a pretty interesting villain if done right, as he's not typically 'evil' per say (at least not always) Keen to see if the Supreme Intelligence becomes part of the story too.
Kind of, until you realise that ultimately they are chess pieces for a greater force trying oppose a Grand Master Chess player. While they are the main course of action, Thanos' influence will be undeniable.

Also, in kind of a meta way, consider the chess puzzle in the first Harry Potter movie as a metaphor for the entire series, especially the end where sacrifices are made to make the winning move.

Colonel Mustard

Jun 2, 2010
As a UK-er, I'll admit that while I may have missed some of the references from the first trailers, they were way, way more unique and fun to watch than this one. This one was basically 'generic epic sci-fi trailer number ten jillionty five' with a few comedy moments. The others were much more original, fun and (and this is important for marketing, after all) way more memorable.

LordMonty

Badgerlord
Jul 2, 2008
I don't know, 'whats a box going to do?' was a pretty good gag, but yea the early trailers were more funny and engaging(UK lad here) and I go most all the references. To be honest i'm just happy to see more to do with this film!

Major_Tom

Anticitizen
Jun 29, 2008
I'm outside-of-the-US-er, and the first trailer was the best. This is the same as every other trailer ever, but hey new footage!

TiberiusEsuriens

Jun 24, 2010
VoidWanderer said:
ron1n said:

Kind of, until you realise that ultimately they are chess pieces for a greater force trying oppose a Grand Master Chess player. While they are the main course of action, Thanos' influence will be undeniable.

Also, in kind of a meta way, consider the chess puzzle in the first Harry Potter movie as a metaphor for the entire series, especially the end where sacrifices are made to make the winning move.
I think the real concern is just that we hope Ronan is a satisfying bad guy with a full story arc and climax. If they want Guardians to succeed it can't just be a lead-in to Avengers 2 - it needs to have a satisfying conclusion and not just have Ultron take the Infinity Gem and fade to black.

Each Marvel movie does hint at the greater picture/threat, but they still manage to be self contained stories that can be watched over and over again, standing on their own.

WhiteTigerShiro

Sep 26, 2008
People on this topic seem to fail to realize that if you're someone who comes to this site, then you're someone who's more likely to enjoy the first trailer. The point of the trailer is that it's targeting people who aren't us (ie: gamers, or geeks in general).

Sigmund Av Volsung

Hella noided
Dec 11, 2009
What's weird is that this trailer is very(very) similar this trailer:

Strange how a single song can completely change the tone of a movie.

Makabriel

May 13, 2013
Burchy22 said:
I'd say going the drama route is a bad idea, this trailer is the bottom of the three. Since people don't know this films its biggest selling point is that they are just making it look so fun and epic.
Not to say it won't have good drama, I'm just saying trying to use it as a selling point instead of the fun-ness isn't advised.
I disagree. Probably my favorite trailer so far. It shows a lot more depth to the movie. Even makes it feel a bit more like Firefly with the interaction of the characters

Kenjitsuka

Sep 10, 2009
The bomb dialog is great, which raises my hopes a bit more ;)

Don't know how it will eventually play out, but so far Marvel has done humor GREAT (Iron man movies, some Cap moments).

Sniper Team 4

Apr 28, 2010
I'm worried about this movie. Not because I think it will be bad or anything like that, but that it won't do well. I keep asking all my friends and coworkers who are huge Avengers/Marvel fans, and only one of them knew what I was talking about when I first mentioned Guardians. I fear that this movie just isn't registering on a lot of fans' radars and that that is going to end up hurting sales.
Still fully intend to see it though.

Plinglebob

Team Stupid-Face
Nov 11, 2008
Seeing this has not changed what I first thought when this was announced and that was "This will be either really awesome or really really bad!" On the plus side it looks like Groot and Rocket will work out better then expected and its nice to see them going fall out in terms of crazy, but still can't see this being just Good.

mistwolf

Feb 1, 2008
I am very much looking forward to this. I think it will offer a good balance of "fan service" and comic fun for existing fans, while new ones are going to glide alone on 'Avengers was great' and 'Cheesy action movie' enough that everyone is going to have a blast.