Internet-Addicted Chinese Youth Break Out of Boot Camp

teqrevisited

Mar 17, 2010
If I lived in China I'd be addicted to the internet too. Let's put it this way, if the internet were a country I know which one I'd want to live in.

Blair Bennett

Jan 25, 2008
John Funk said:
last August, a 15-year-old boy was beaten to death [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/93639-Chinese-Teen-Beaten-to-Death-at-Internet-Addiction-Camp] at one of the unofficial camps in Guanxi province.
I was just about to ask if this was in any way related to that instance. If you think about it, there might well have been more more disturbing reason as to why these people tried to escape. Does anyone know of any other articles that might have suggested there was abusive behavior conducted? Or was this completely irrelevant to the instance from last August.

silver wolf009

[[NULL]]
Jan 23, 2010
Plank of Wood said:
I support this nerdy revolution in all possible ways.
We are now officially brothers in my eyes. Long live the internet.

OT: Remimds me of the book boot camp. Anyway it sucks for those kids I wish they had made it.

Hawgh

Dec 24, 2007
It would appear that they should have planned for the long term, that is, longer than it took to cross the walls.

Booze Zombie

Dec 8, 2007
I've got the feeling I know why people in China are "addicted" to the internet... being brutally ruled sucks amazingly and you've got few escapes besides drinking loads of booze, taking drugs, watching movies, playing games, reading books and sleeping.

Jeronus

Nov 14, 2008
The Leader- Guildmaster of the biggest Raid Guild in China. Uses extensive planning skills to devise jailbreak and gather the people with the skills needed to get the job done.
The Profiler- A social networking nut who uses the information on Twitter, Facebook, and MySpace to learn everything he can about the prison staff. He knows more about the guards than their own mothers.
The Master of Disguise- An internet pretender who always act like someone else online. He is an expert liar who enjoys being anyone but himself. He uses his skills to manipulate the guards with info from The Profiler he can get close to the guards appeal by knowing more about themselves than they do.
The Camper- He is the guy you never see coming. He knows the prison map like he knows the back of his hand. He knows all the best lookout areas and can look around without being seen.
The Noob- Your claasic, bumbling comic relief. Well meaning but he often hinders the team by asking lame questions and screwing up the most basic actions. He is only around because of his pitiable nature.
The Troll- The annoying prick who is as much a dick in real life as he is online. He is meant to be sacrificed at every possible moment danger shows up. He is kept around because no one can seem to get rid of him, but he also serves as the tank meant to draw attention to himself to distract others.

They are the Internet A-Team.

Jark212

Certified Deviant
Jul 17, 2008
John Funk said:
They overpowered their supervisor, tied him to the bed, and ran for it.
Damn, they really wanted out, but I can't blame them for it...

ShadowsofHope

Outsider
Nov 1, 2009
..I really have no idea what to think about this.

On one hand.. A rather militant looking camp for internet addictions? Really?

On the other hand.. addiction is a pretty dangerous thing, and Koreans/Chinese do like their internet.

..Bleh. I'm not commenting either or.

Dexiro

Dec 23, 2009
I'd be on the camps side if i didn't hear about one of them beating a kid to death for not being able to run faster.

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
I'd imagine the actual issue isn't The Internet and what it does to the youth, but the fact that the Internet is impossible to entirely censor even with a national firewall, and kids are getting these odd ideas of things like freedom of speech and expression, and democracy, and similar things by using it to obtain information the goverment doesn't want them to hear.

Such have been my thoughts, I'd say it's more like a "re-education center" or "Gulag" than an addiction counseling center, or (for the sarcastic) concentration camp.

nekoali

Aug 25, 2009
I like all these people saying 'Oh, these kids need to be in the camp, they're addcited!'.

You know that most of these camps uses brainwashing techniques, sleep deprivation and torture to negatively condition the people under their control to get them to later avoid whatever it is they're being 'cured' of? The fact that they are locked up and unable to leave when they had committed no crime and were not any danger to others would be bad enough. Yes, addiction is bad. And it should be dealt with by friends and family with an intervention. Not packing them off to be tortured.

Penguins4Freedom

Dec 27, 2009
What exactly does constitute addicted in China so that these people have to be re-habilitated in camps? Where their beaten?

UnusualStranger

Keep a hat handy
Jan 23, 2010
I think a lot of people are missing the last part of the article, where someone was killed in one of these camps.

These don't sound like good rehabilitation centers, they sound like prisons where you are beaten to get rid of the addiction. Especially when the kids are so desperate to get the hell out that they overpower people.

Sounds like a hell of a time over there. I applaud the kids showing the world that it IS possible for us to work in groups, and fight the good fight.

Or just prove that just cause their kids doesn't mean you can simply throw them around.

MrGamer

Nov 18, 2009
Wow China loves their scape goats, internet causes dissentry! not our brutal dictatorial behavior!

mrhappyface

Jul 25, 2009
Here's an interesting tidbit. At one of the camps, there was a "doctor" who supposedly an electroshock therapist. Turns out, when the police investigated that facility where the boy was beaten to death, he didn't even have a high school degree. He was just psycho who got a stiffy whenever he saw someone being zapped.