Internet-Addicted Chinese Youth Break Out of Boot Camp

dalek sec

Leader of the Cult of Skaro
Jul 20, 2008
Why do I have this feeling these kids will suddenly suffer from a tragic case of death? This is China after all and I'm sure they're pretty pissed that these kids made them look bad.

OT: I'm glad they actually managed to pull it off but sad they got captured in the end cause of a damn cabbie over there.

gigastrike

Jul 13, 2008
They just ran for it? That's no fun. I thought they would have at least blanked the security monitors.

oranger

May 27, 2008
and then for some craazy reason, most of the kids who "graduate" from these "boot camps" all want to join the army...or enter into civil service...start attending the community meetings they are supposed to attend. I'm tired of reading about this stuff, I think I'm going to turn the world off for a bit.

Earthbound

Aug 13, 2008
NeutralDrow said:
...I literally have no idea what I think about that.

It's like a confluence of things that taken individually I might form an opinion on, crammed together in such a way that leaves me totally lost.
Exactly what I was thinking after I read the article.
"China? Ew, fight the power.
"Hey, the fought the power. Yay!
"They're severely addicted to the Internet. Maybe they should be there...
"They were sent back there? That's not cool.
"They gipped a taxi driver out of his money? That's also not cool.
"A kid died in one of those camps? Really?
"I don't even know what to think of this. I blame everyone."

addeB

Oct 2, 2009
They have the right attitude, stick it to the man!
Plank of Wood said:
I support this nerdy revolution in all possible ways.
The digital revolution has begun!

Radelaide

May 15, 2008
So there's a bunch of people who escaped from an internet camp in China... They're addicted to China's barebones internet?

How does that happen?

JEBWrench

Apr 23, 2009
Okay, does anyone else think it could only have been more awesome if they spouted off Liberty Prime quotes while attempting escape?

GothmogII

Possessor Of Hats
Apr 6, 2008
Wait, age 15-22!? What's the legal adult age in China? That sounds pretty shady, I would say it'd be fine if they went willingly, but by the escape attempt I'd say they didn't.

Kaymish

The Morally Bankrupt Weasel
Sep 10, 2008
see teh intertubez cant be that bad if a bunch of addicts can break out of low security prison and a Chinese prison at that good work

Tdc2182

May 21, 2009
Well, I honestly don't know if I should be sorry for the kids or ashamed for the kids. I guess sorry, because I most likely have an internet addiction too.

Asehujiko

Feb 25, 2008
Blitzkreg said:
Thats seriously sad that they had to fight their way out. They should be in that camp. Seriously? Thats kind of sad that theyre THAT addicted.
Not wanting to get beaten to death for being a politically active blogger an internet addict is sad on the escapee's part why exactly?

Eisenfaust

Two horses in a man costume
Apr 20, 2009
i'm sorta scared that the guy in the photo is wearing a military uniform... thats a little serious...

Phenakist

Feb 25, 2009
Can't really blame China's youth for being addicted to the internet... China is all overpopulation, where there is civilization or some simple life as a farmer in the middle of a field a thousand miles away from anywhere. So life would either be pretty shit, or borderline poverty. So you know... may aswell get in touch with proper civilization.. Or would "The Honorable Chairman" not allow free will?

Jezzascmezza

Aug 18, 2009
What the hell did they expect to happen when they got home?
Their parents happy and congratulating them on their escape?
Bit sad really...

Ashbax

Jan 7, 2009
Blitzkreg said:
Thats seriously sad that they had to fight their way out. They should be in that camp. Seriously? Thats kind of sad that theyre THAT addicted.
Maybe they are only as "addicted" as you or me. Dude, this is CHINA we're talking about here. Thats only one step up from Korea.

I mean, jesus christ, they have CAMPS for internet addiction? Here we just have computers shops, game shops and internet cafés. Then again, I guess that doesn't help the problem.

Dana22

Sep 10, 2008
Just let them surf the internet to death. Problem will solve itself, without wasting taxpayers money.

Ashbax

Jan 7, 2009
Brotherofwill said:
Simalacrum said:
Aw godammit John, I haven't seen the Great Escape yet! D:

I hope your happy with yourself!
Me neither. I don't think that was funny.
Blitzkreg said:
I was rooting for the camp aswell. They should get their asses treated (or kicked which will probably happen anyway).

I can imagine them sitting in a dark corner all hunched together one of them coming:

Hey guys, check it out, I got a fake iphone with internet access. Smuggeled it in this morning. 30$ per facebook update, 5$ per tweet. Then they fight to the death for the device, the bloodied winner updating :"I just totally committed homicide. Lmao, sweet!" which will get 2 triumphant likes.

Fuck, I should go in a camp.
CSI: Internet Addiction Boot Camp.

I can imagine it now... "Looks like these nerds *Puts on sunglasses* ...just got pwn3d..."

YEAHHHHHHHH!

ThreeKneeNick

Aug 4, 2009
The poor souls are probably tortured over there, being broken emotionally and maybe even physically, so they can get rid of their "addiction" which they probably don't really have, at least not in that severity. I mean come on, the whole world has the internet, yet only in China and similar fucked up totalitarian countries problems are so severe that you literally have to kidnap them to keep them safe? Right, i believe that. No, I don't at all think China is trying to scare people out of using the internet. Why would they do that? Anyway, if my parents sent me back to that place after i have escaped, i would probably have escaped again only to have the chance to get revenge and have the dignity to be sent to a real prison that admits to being one.

Fire Daemon

Quoth the Daemon
Dec 18, 2007
This would be funny except that other news posts on this site have described those places as nothing short of hell. I don't think they were escaping because they wanted to log back onto WoW. Heck, I would rather be a POW in a German prison than go to one of those places. Both would suck, but the Germans would suck slightly less.