Internet Petition Demands Dark Souls Drop GFWL

The Lunatic

Princess
Jun 3, 2010
I'd buy it either way.

However, I sincerely hope that they remove GFWL.

They already have my purchase, Let's work on improving the quality of the user's experience.

Lillowh

Oct 22, 2007
shintakie10 said:
AnarchistAbe said:
IT ISN'T OUT YET!!! How do you know it doesn't work? I have never once had an issue with GFWL.
Then you are in the minority. GFWL is a horrible piece of cow dung that isn't supported by the very people who created the damn thing. Its match makin system are god awful. Its connectivity issues are worse than anythin I have ever seen.

GFWL is so bad I would truly and totally take Ubisoft DRM over it because at least with how god awful Ubidrm is, I know that the blasted thing will actually work when I want it to work (unless they move authentication servers) whereas with GFWL the only thin I know is that I might be able to play a online if I pray really really hard.
From this sentence it seems that you have not used GFWL either. 1) It does not have a matchmaking system any different that any other PC game. Each game has it's own matchmaking system, your GFWL account is just like your steam account. PERIOD. The only thing is you can't change your name whenever you please. Boo Hoo. Connectivity issues must only be a problem most of you are blaming on it rather than your sketchy net, because I have never once disconnected, and Steam goes down for maintenance or crashes unannounced around twice a week, so it's not any better. Hell GFWL is actually BETTER than steam because you can play offline without having to set it to offline mode before you log off of a session where steam is online and where if something unexpected downs your internet, you're not logged in to Steam and you didn't have foresight, you're screwed out of all of your games. THAT is terrible DRM if you ask me (I love steam to death but this is an irrefutable fact).

The only difference that GFWL will make on this game is LIVE achievements, which some of us enjoy getting because they make a more visible difference than the pointless steam achievements, and that you will have to wait an additional 2 seconds for it to log you in automatically and then disappear behind the game to never bother you again unless you want it. It's not a bad service at all. All that's going on is a bandwagon hatred of Microsoft which might have been justified 6 years ago but has no basis in today's GFWL.

Valdus

Apr 7, 2011
Careful guys, if you keep this up people might start to think PC gamers are spoiled and entitled or something.

You got your freakin' port and you're getting bonus bosses as well. Quit crying for half a sec and try actually enjoying what you got.

I'm tempted to start a petition to From Software called the "Ignore the PC gamers" petition, because if they spend all their time catering for the PC crowd I'll probably never see a new Souls game since they'll never be satisfied. What's more annoying is that if I claim to be a PC gamer when I do I'll probably get tons of support for the petition.

Azure-Supernova

La-li-lu-le-lo!
Aug 5, 2009
I understand that GFWL is an abomination, but this seems a little ungrateful. We have the game, we will be able to buy it, install it and do what we've always done with GFWL titles: use workarounds and dodgy .exe's to run it without the piece of crap having inconvenienced us for more than a few minutes.

T3hSource

Mar 5, 2012
Namco,listen up!
The only reason you let From Software to even bother making a PC version and funding them to hassle for it is to make money from more people.However you WILL LOSE A LOT of buyers just because you're making them use this awful service.If you believe MS can pay you enough think again.Besides once on Steam,always on Steam,you'll see how its sales never die off completely.

Bertinan

Nov 5, 2008
Why is it "gamer entitlement" whenever we don't like something and give voice to it? This is the only industry where people will seriously tell you with a straight face that people who complain feel entitled. If this was an article about how meat companies were going to start putting fiber into the meat and sell it for the same value, at the same weight, people would be up in arms.

Or better yet, how about having some company in the movie industry stating that you can only watch the blu-rays of their movie on a single company's blu-ray player. And this particular company's blu-ray player is known for shitty play-back, constant freezes, and maybe even scratching discs. I doubt people would start saying "movier entitlement" then...

Shanecooper

Aug 12, 2009
I can't help but feel that Namco has been lied to about how good GFWL really is. I mean, they are a Japanise company, how are they ment to know what we prefer over here?

Mumorpuger

This is a...!
Apr 8, 2009
I've never had a problem with GFWL, myself. I wonder how many of the petitioners are only opposed because they're anti-Microsoft/Valve-fanboys.

RaikuFA

Jun 12, 2009
80Maxwell08 said:
RaikuFA said:
You guys...

You got your port. Be happy with that. Us Tales fans can't even get a petition through.
You just got Tales of Graces F and didn't that sell pretty well all things considered? Also didn't Namco Bandai trademark Tales of Xillia for the U.S. and Europe recently? Also there's no point in a bad port especially if that port uses a service known to just delete saves at random.
Namco trademarks every Tales of title cause they were butthurt that Eternia was already taken. They waste so much on trademarking yet no localization...

Boris Goodenough

Jul 15, 2009
-Set GFWL to automatically log in with all needed details
-GFWL fails to log in
-logs in manually
-downloads update
-doesn't patch correctly
-restarts GFWL
-doesn't log in again
-manual login
-redownloads patch
-have to reset to automatically login again
-then manually log in

ad nausium, ad infinium

If my rage could fuel machines, mine would be able to fuel

Apr 5, 2012
I think that you should be happy that you all get Dark Souls. So it uses a service that is not steam and you don't like as much. So your going to pitch a fit and start a petition? My grandfather told me that "hold out both hands and see if it fills up with gold or shit first." You all got your gold in the form of Dark Souls, if it comes with a little shit in the form of GFWL on the side that is just something you'll have to deal with.

BTW I have used GFWL before. I found it mediocre.

80Maxwell08

Jul 14, 2010
bringer of illumination said:
AnarchistAbe said:
I agree with a large majority of this. I'm just saying. It'd be like me not having enough cookies, and you not having one. I go bake you a special cookie that takes up a lot of my time and effort. Then, you decide that I didn't use the right chocolate chips in my cookie, and you throw it in my face. Isn't that a bit of a dick move?
That analogy doesn't even remotely fit, no one is complaining about the cookie, they didn't change the actual game.

It's more like this; We saw that Namco had given someone a tasty cookie and we hadn't gotten one, so we asked them to give us a cookie too and they did and not only was the cookie as good as the one the other person had gotten, it was actually a bit better (2 additional bosses). But when we reached to take the cookie Namco slaps our hand away and says that we're not allowed to eat it with our hands, Namco then hands us a rusty fork that is covered in soap so it's hard to hold onto and the head is searing hot so it hurts to eat with, Namco then says that we can only eat the cookie if we use that fork.

There, that's a fitting analogy.

They are giving us something nice and requiring that we use something very, very not nice before we get to consume the nice thing, I find it a perfectly valid move to throw it back at them, which isn't even really what we're doing.
Well the analogy almost fits. Try someone bought a cookie from Namco and we said we would like to buy one too then it fits perfectly.

Stormz

Jul 4, 2009
How about...OMG...No DRM at all? DRM is a pointless waste of time. They'd probably get a lot of praise if they released the game DRM free. People are just going to crack it an hour after release anyway so why punish legal consumers? Oh what am I saying they don't give a shit.

The Wykydtron

"Emotions are very important!"
Sep 23, 2010
Well several people will have unknowingly have saved their PC's from rage induced annihilation due to DS being a GFWL exclusive...

Good job GFWL! Savior of mice, keyboards and monitors everywhere.

Though if it comes out on Steam as well I expect a thread on this site called "Dark Souls broke my PC!!!!!111!" or something similar about a day after launch.

80Maxwell08

Jul 14, 2010
Alma Mare said:
Hope the port fails to profit. Teach them idiots a lesson.
I just hope they change it. Granted Namco Bandai have proven themselves to be idiots plenty of times but they did make a smart move bringing it over here. The GFWL wasn't even remotely smart but chances are they didn't know since they tend to not listen to the rest of the world. Now they have a bunch of people telling them not to do this so if they continue to listen they will learn more and be able to succeed. You do have to remember there's not a big PC market in Japan so while there are some who commit to the PC like Nihon Falcom a lot of them don't bother with it over there.

Weaver

Overcaffeinated
Apr 28, 2008
I will still play it just due to my love of Dark Souls... but man, GFWL is just so shitty.
I have played probably 5 games that used it; some not even heavily. It just fucks up all the time. Like the well-known Arkham Asylum bug where it just deletes all your save games. That was great.

I could rant for like 3000 words about all the issues I've experienced first hand, but I'll just stop talking instead.