Interplay Sends out Fallout Online Teasers

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
Interplay Sends out Fallout Online Teasers

This much is certain, the Fallout MMOG will have deserts, and it will have crazy people.

Fallout Online has had a troubled past, peppered with money woes and court cases, but it seems that things are finally starting to move. People who signed up to the Fallout Online [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/101412-Interplay-Launches-Fallout-Online-Teaser-Site] mailing list found three teaser images in their inbox this week, accompanied by the text: "There are many stories and many more tall tales about life in the wastelands, this is one of them..."

The images contain a picture of a mine in the desert and a transcript of a traveler identified only as Les talking to a "ragskin" called "Fast Eddie" about "Menkey Butte Mine," or as Eddie calls it, "Monkey Butt Mine." Les appears to be scouting the area out for some unnamed organization he belongs to, and is reporting back what he's found. Eddie speaks quickly and barely pauses, running a couple of paragraphs into a single long sentence.

"First thing is call it Monkey Butt Mine everyone does so don't sat the other or people will think yer a rube and just fell off the turnip truck, thud," says Eddie via Les's report. "So it's north and west of here, ya see, or west-and-north but that's a matter of choice which is a funny word cause it's like good eatin' like some juicy Brahmin steak, if two heads are better than one, why're Brahmin dummer than dirt?"

Eddie continues in the same vein, talking about the ghouls to the north and the "tickers" to the south. He also offers his thoughts on what the collective noun for radscorpions should be. You can read the transcript for yourself here [http://destructoid.com/elephant/photo-m.phtml?photo_key=149313&post_key=178180#prevnext] and here [http://destructoid.com/elephant/photo-m.phtml?photo_key=149314&post_key=178180#prevnext].

At the minute we've not seen anything playable, and probably won't for some time, but if Fast Eddie is indicative of what we can expect from the world of Fallout Online, it should be a very colorful place indeed.

Source: Destructoid [http://www.destructoid.com/fallout-online-starts-the-viral-marketing-178180.phtml]

JEBWrench

Apr 23, 2009
Is it bad that I really really like the suggestion of "A rumor of radscorpions"?

Anah'ya

a Taffer
Jun 19, 2010
This Taffer is interested.

... but doesn't have anything of particular interest to say.

/collapses

Sebenko

Dec 23, 2008
ExplosionProofTaco said:
Oh God No. Not another RPG turned MMO.

I thought Interpaly went bankrupt?
There are too many MMOs. Every day I hear of a new one based on an existing property. And it really annoys me.

And Interplay have risen from the grave somehow.

carpathic

Oct 5, 2009
Cripes, why not just make a game I can play on my own computer without other people ruining it? If I wanted an MMO, I would have already signed up for one.

Now another fallout game, that I can get behind!

Axolotl

Feb 17, 2008
carpathic said:
Cripes, why not just make a game I can play on my own computer without other people ruining it? If I wanted an MMO, I would have already signed up for one.

Now another fallout game, that I can get behind!
Well Interplay only have the rights to make an MMO, although they are tying to get the Fallout rights back from Bethesda.

As to the preview, "Monkey Butt Mine"? What? I had some hope. Now I don't.

Talvrae

The Purple Fairy
Dec 8, 2009
I'm a fan of the original Fallout... but i dont think the Wasteland can become a good MMO... How does you make it seem like a deserted westeland when they are 1 dozens players runnings arounds in each sections

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
I dont really know if its ever going to be a good idea. People have tried it and its never really taken off, which, I think is a shame. I am sure there is a formukla, just no ones has ever hit on it!

Mr. Grey

I changed my face, ya like it?
Aug 31, 2009
Axolotl said:
As to the preview, "Monkey Butt Mine"? What? I had some hope. Now I don't.
You too? That's when I dismissed the whole thing.

I mean honestly... what the hell? What, are there twelve year old kids writing this?