Into The Breach is The New Kaiju Hunting Strategy Game From FTL Devs

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
Into The Breach is The New Kaiju Hunting Strategy Game From FTL Devs

Into The Breach is basically a top-down Advance Wars-style Turn-Based Strategy adaptation of Pacific Rim.

Subset Games, the folks behind the excelent rogue-like space sim FTL: Faster Than Light [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/tag/view/ftl%20faster%20than%20light?os=ftl+faster+than+light] have just announced their next game: Into The Breach. Essentially, it's a top-down turn-based strategy game, in which you play as the remnants of human civilization, fighting off giant monsters with powered mech suits. Think Advance Wars meets Pacific Rim.

"The remnants of human civilization are threatened by gigantic creatures breeding beneath the earth. You must control powerful mechs from the future to hold off this alien threat. Each attempt to save the world presents a new randomly generated challenge in this turn-based strategy game," wrote the dev in a blog post [http://subsetgames.com/itb.html].

Here's everything we know about the game:

Defend the Cities: Civilian buildings power your mechs. Defend them from the Vek and watch your fire!
Perfect Your Strategy: All enemy attacks are telegraphed in minimalistic, turn-based combat. Analyze your opponent's attack and come up with the perfect counter every turn.
Build the Ultimate Mech: Find powerful new weapons and unique pilots as you battle the Vek infestation across Corporate-Nation islands.
Another Chance: Failure is not an option. When you are defeated, send help back through time to save another timeline!

[gallery=6924]

The game currently does not have a release date, with the developer stating it will be released "when it's done". It will release on Windows, Mac, and Linux, but not all three simultaneously. We're assuming we'll see a PC release first.

Source: Subset Games [http://subsetgames.com/itb.html]

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
*Rubs hands together* This is an interesting concept. Glad to see this company is still making new games.

Pyrian

Hat Man
Legacy
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
Country
US
Interesting. I'm a huge fan of FTL, and some of this looks cool, but... 8x8 maps? C'mon. Gimme room to flank.

linkblade91

Dec 2, 2009
Pyrian said:
Interesting. I'm a huge fan of FTL, and some of this looks cool, but... 8x8 maps? C'mon. Gimme room to flank.
Could be a misleading image; like, it might be a small map/mission or a tutorial. Or just a quick concept showpiece. I can't imagine the entire game would play out on 8x8 maps.

Either way, I'm quite interested in this. FTL was great, and SRPG is one of my favorite genres.

Pyrian

Hat Man
Legacy
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
Country
US
linkblade91 said:
Could be a misleading image; like, it might be a small map/mission or a tutorial. Or just a quick concept showpiece. I can't imagine the entire game would play out on 8x8 maps.
I hope you're right, but it's not just one little image. The video shows an awful lot of maps, all of them 8x8.

TheScorpion

Feb 24, 2016
This sounds fun even if I imagine myself quitting it due to it's potentially high difficulty that most Turn Based Strategy games always have.

OldNewNewOld

Mar 2, 2011
I'm pretty sure there isn't single game that isn't Zelda that got me as a future customer so fast.
It hits so many of my soft spots, I love what I'm seeing.

Jan 27, 2011
:eek:

The FTL guys are making a turn based strategy game?! With mechas?! Killing giant monsters?!

[http://s110.photobucket.com/user/absoldragon/media/al-my-yens_zpsuepczxkv.jpg.html]

Words cannot express how hyped this just got me in the space of a minute long trailer.

gigastar

Insert one-liner here.
Sep 13, 2010
Now if they would kindly announce a release date id be more than happy to wait to buy it.

Souplex

Souplex Killsplosion Awesomegasm
Jul 29, 2008
I told my roommate about this.
Now I need to shower off his bodily fluids.

Quellist

Migratory coconut
Oct 7, 2010
Fuck yes, so much! Advance Wars, Pacific Rim and FTL all together? Gimmeh!

MortalKomic

Carmichael
Mar 5, 2011
Not a huge fan of the visuals, doesn't really make me feel like my mechs are fighting giant monsters.

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
"Once more unto the breach, dear friends, once more, lest we perish bravely in the charge..."

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
Huh.

Half of me is thinking that looks awful while the other half is reminding the first half that I thought the same thing upon first seeing FTL.

Smithnikov_v1legacy

May 7, 2016
You know, ever since Godzilla 2 wayyyyyy back in the NES days, I wanted a good turn based anti-giant monster game...this may at long last fill that void...