Into The Stars Aims To Merge FTL With Oregon Trail

Fanghawk

Feb 17, 2011
Into The Stars Aims To Merge FTL With Oregon Trail

[kickstarter=fugitivegames/into-the-stars]Fugitive Games' Into The Stars Kickstarter is all about scavenging resources and defending civilians to a new soundtrack from Mass Effect's Jack Wall.

It's been a long time, but space games finally seem to be making a comeback. Between <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/137807-Star-Citizen-Most-Crowdfunded-Project-Ever-at-55-Million>Star Citizen's crowdfunding, the <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/138401-New-Homeworld-Remastered-Screens-Emerge-From-PAX-Australia>Homeworld remastering, and the re-release of <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/video-games/goodoldreviews/12580-Good-Old-Reviews-Star-Wars-X-Wing>Star Wars: X-Wing, we're looking at so many options that it feels like the 1990s all over again. Now the newly established Fugitive Games is entering the market with a Kickstarter project: Into The Stars, an open-world space management sim combining elements of FTL and the classic Oregon Trail.

Set in the distant future, humanity is losing a war against alien invaders set on destroying Earth. As the captain of the final colony ship to escape the planet, the player must manage their ship, crew, and resources on a journey to find a new homeworld. Captains can chart any course through 90 zones, gathering resources while encountering friendly and hostile aliens along the way.

When a game of Into The Stars begins, players outfit their ship with modules, recruit crew members, and select resources for the cargo hold. After launching, your primary goal is to maintain the ship and crew. Just like FTL and Oregon Trail, permadeath is a very real threat, but one that must be risked as you organize landing parties and mining operations.

Into The Stars is being developed under the Unreal 4 engine, and even in a pre-alpha state the screenshots are visually impressive. But what might get more attention is the musical score composed by Jack Wall, who developed the soundtracks for the first two Mass Effect games. Naturally, Into The Stars original soundtrack is included as a Kickstarter reward alongside signed concept art and the ability to name individual planets.

[gallery=3685]

Regardless, it seems that development on Into The Stars is well-underway - its release date is listed for July 2015, with the Kickstarter funds going towards additional development support.

Source: <a href=https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/fugitivegames/into-the-stars>Kickstarter

XMark

Jan 25, 2010
Yeah, I was gonna say the same thing. FTL is already a lot like the Oregon Trail.

Redlin5_v1legacy

Better Red than Dead
Aug 5, 2009
Want...

Want. Want. Want. Want.

I for one am loving the return to space. This looks pretty damn cool.

The only thing I would rather they didn't grab from FTL was the pursuing force thing, or at least to the same degree as FTL. Just blow up Earth and have the trials of the journey be enough of a threat on its own. I just don't want the FTL problem of getting cornered in a map because of the need for repairs or some mission and finding out that the fleet has pretty much denied me the ability to pick through the sector for resources.

Minor nitpick though, I hope it gets funded. :D

MiskWisk

Mar 17, 2012
More spaceship command games are always welcome.

Personally, I am hoping for a Mount and Blade style space game where you can be in a fighter all the way up to commanding an entire fleet from a flagship or even be a simple engineer in a large ship. I imagine the coding would literally be hell though.

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
sid said:
wait, isn't FTL a merge of FTL and oregon trail?
XMark said:
Yeah, I was gonna say the same thing. FTL is already a lot like the Oregon Trail.
Well FTL was pretty much just combat 90% of the time, that and preparing for more combat. Oregon Trail was managing food, supplies, money, rationing things out, finding the best way to overcome obstacles, dealing with disease, gathering food however you could, dying of dysentery etc etc.

Point is I think there will be a lot more non-combat mechanics in this game.

webkilla

Feb 2, 2011
TAKE ALL OF MY MONEY!

Gods, I want this so bad. Like, I want this right now!

Sep 14, 2009
Redlin5 said:
Want...

Want. Want. Want. Want.

I for one am loving the return to space. This looks pretty damn cool.

The only thing I would rather they didn't grab from FTL was the pursuing force thing, or at least to the same degree as FTL. Just blow up Earth and have the trials of the journey be enough of a threat on its own. I just don't want the FTL problem of getting cornered in a map because of the need for repairs or some mission and finding out that the fleet has pretty much denied me the ability to pick through the sector for resources.

Minor nitpick though, I hope it gets funded. :D
completely agree, although if you didn't know, there are mods out there that SUPER slow down the "pursuing force" so you don't feel rushed, or completely get rid of that mechanic altogether (not sure on the latter, but the former I did use once).

OT: Wow this looks awesome, donating my 15 dollars for sure.

BeerTent

Resident Furry Pimp
May 8, 2011
This makes me think of starflight. Something I truly loved was searching for a new 'Earth'.

Thing is, I've been burned too many times on KS/EA. I wish them luck, and I hope it sees a release.

mad825

Mar 28, 2010
I really have issues when a kickstarter tries to sell us on the basis that they have a celebrity programmer/composer/voice actor working for them on their project. Jack wall did a fairly mediocre job on ME/ME2, there are a few good tracks but beyond that it's forgettable. COD? lulwut?

Personally speaking,I think the game needs a budget within the hundred thousand to become a fully fleshed out game.

NortherWolf

Jun 26, 2008
The thing I'm worried about is that it takes two fairly...Simple games ad claims to be a hybrid of those, but the graphics seem to be...Important. In short, it seems to be more about shinies than content.
And yeah, "hi, we have this famous guy/girl who worked on those really famous things.".
Could be fun though.

Chefsbrian

Jun 25, 2012
I love the premise, but I don't trust KS to be able to pan out such a... Ambitious goal, so they won't be getting my money.

Vendor-Lazarus

Censored by Mods. PM for Taboos
Mar 1, 2009
Another one here loving the new old space theme being a go to for games.
Especially with all the 4X and Spaceship Sim genres booming.
More of them only means greater likelihood I will find at least one I like.
On that note, thanks for pointing me to Out There (referenced in the video), looks interesting.

gamegod25

Jul 10, 2008
Chefsbrian said:
I love the premise, but I don't trust KS to be able to pan out such a... Ambitious goal, so they won't be getting my money.
Same here, just don't trust KS games to deliver. Hope it will be good (should it come out) but I'm not giving any money till then.

Quellist

Migratory coconut
Oct 7, 2010
I'm interested but concerned. FTL was such a success its name gets bandied around by far too many hopefuls these days...

Leonardo Huizar

Jul 1, 2012
UGH... Why do people keep hyping their projects that way:

"X is going to be like if you combined Y & Z"

Thats a death sentence. I think it was Sterling who pointed it out that people who like what "Y" or "Z" is, already have "Y" &or "Z" and until you show how seemless and spectacular you present "X", im not buying the hype or "X".

Srry for being cynical, but i keep seeing that marketing line on crap movies, crap music, and crap video games.

theSovietConnection

Survivor, VDNKh Station
Jan 14, 2009
Leonardo Huizar said:

Thats a death sentence. I think it was Sterling who pointed it out that people who like what "Y" or "Z" is, already have "Y" &or "Z" and until you show how seemless and spectacular you present "X", im not buying the hype or "X".

Srry for being cynical, but i keep seeing that marketing line on crap movies, crap music, and crap video games.
Except, near as I can tell, the devs for this game haven't used the "Its FTL meets Oregon Trail!" anywhere on their marketing (it's nowhere on their Kickstarter page, anyways).

Anyways, this looks like it could be fun, I've wanted a game kinda like this for a while. I just hope that the pursuing force can be disabled and I can play the game at the pace I opt to.

Fanghawk

Feb 17, 2011
theSovietConnection said:
Leonardo Huizar said:

Except, near as I can tell, the devs for this game haven't used the "Its FTL meets Oregon Trail!" anywhere on their marketing (it's nowhere on their Kickstarter page, anyways).

Anyways, this looks like it could be fun, I've wanted a game kinda like this for a while. I just hope that the pursuing force can be disabled and I can play the game at the pace I opt to.
It's there. First image under the "Gameplay" category.