Introducing Non-Player Counselor, The Escapist's New Animated Series

Fanghawk

Feb 17, 2011
Introducing Non-Player Counselor, The Escapist's New Animated Series

From the minds behind No Right Answer, Non-Player Counselor shows why therapy for video game protagonists is no easy task.

Video game protagonists - to most of us they're just vessels which let player characters stop terrorists, destroy alien mother ships, and save the world across every sequel. But under those cool demeanors and glib one-liners are emotional beings who have no outlet to address their personal problems. It takes a very special kind of counselor to help player characters through these issues - specifically the NPC, or Non-Player Counselor.

The Escapist is proud to introduce Non-Player Counselor, a new animated series from the creators of <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/no-right-answer>No Right Answer and <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/moviesandtv/columns/guycry>Guy Cry Cinema. In the spirit of Dr. Katz, Professional Therapist, every episode introduces a new video game protagonist suffering problems that can't be blocked with a chest-high wall, which a counselor will dutifully attempt to solve. This first episode presents Duke Nukem - a personality whose career ended thanks to a thirteen-year triple-A dud. But there might be a simple answer to myriad deep-seated issues - and in true psychology trope form, it involves his mother.

Duke Nukem is just the beginning. Non-Player Counselor will put a new protagonist on the couch every week, and viewers are encouraged to offer their suggestions. Simply send word to <a href=https://twitter.com/NoRightTweet>@NoRightTweet so your favorite video game protagonist can get the help they need.

[video=10108 autoplay=0]

CrystalShadow

don't upset the insane catgirl
Apr 11, 2009
... Huh. OK, the 'animation' is uh, well, calling it that is a bit of a stretch, but that's not surprising for a weekly series.

I don't know. It was OK. Has potential, but didn't impress me all that much.
However, just the fact that it exists at all is a good thing. brings to mind the kind of questionable, but amusing series this site used to be known for years ago.
Even if not all of them work out, I'm glad to see a move back to that kind of content.

Eclipse Dragon

Lusty Argonian Maid
Legacy
Jan 23, 2009
Country
United States
It has potential, I just don't personally care for Duke Nukem.
Spyro though, he sounds like he could use therapy after everything that's happened to him since he left Insomniac.

Also I like that we're getting animated content.

Imperioratorex Caprae

Henchgoat Emperor
May 15, 2010
Before reading this, I watched the video and it did strike me as heavily influenced by Dr. Katz minus the shaky-animation, but delivery of dialogue and editing techniques are definitely inspired by Dr. Katz. Not a bad thing, its not easy to capture a tone/influence and nail it well, which the episode actually does well. I'm not all to sure about writing, because I remember there were episodes of Dr. Katz I hated, but the formatting of therapy for game protagonists or NPCs sounds interesting as a premise. More episode must be watched, but not a bad start.

And Man

May 12, 2014
That was pretty good; I really enjoyed it. The animation is understandable, considering that it's a weekly series. Jokes and deliver were pretty solid.

VanQ

Casual Plebeian
Oct 23, 2009
Wait. Duke is a Player Character. Not a Non-player Character...

Shocksplicer

Apr 10, 2011
VanQ said:
Wait. Duke is a Player Character. Not a Non-player Character...
Yes... The premise is that Player Characters get counselling from the Non Player Counsellor. Nobody said that Duke is an NPC...