Invasive Species Threatening Florida Environment

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010

Aaand of course it had to be followed by an outcry; from across the country in some cases.

The state Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission has tried for years to cope with the influx. Among other strategies, it has told homeowners to shoot the iguanas on sight and invited amateur hunters to compete for prizes in a python roundup. Then late last month, commissioners took more extreme action, deciding 7 to 0 to ban possession and breeding of both those reptiles and 14 other nonnative species.

“We have to put our foot down,” said chairman Rodney Barreto, a Miami developer recently criticized for his role in a Palm Beach dredge-and-fill project. “The time has come to take a bold stand against these real threats to our environment.”

The vote came at the conclusion of a four-hour online public hearing. More than 80 people had called in, from as far away as Oregon and Maine, many to object. Reptile breeders and dealers argued that the move would gut their industry, while herpetology hobbyists bemoaned the loss of pets they regard as part of their family.

One caller even cried, explaining that she relies on her pythons and iguanas to help her cope with lonely nights and difficult days.

“If you take them away,” she said, “I would be really messed up.”

As passed, the ban will be phased in over three years to give businesses time to get rid of their breeding stock. It does not require a roundup of pets. Their owners can keep them for as long as the animals live, just not replace them.

What’s a Sunshine state to do. It reminds me of the issue a growing number of people seem have with the need to do the “difficult thing”, which in this case happens to be environmental conservation. They fail to understand or even acknowledge the bigger picture, which is many other species being killed off. It’s like emotional maturity stops at a grade school age and they still think all of earth’s creatures can kneel down and sing kumbaya together. Yeah I’d like that too, but nature is the mother of cold-heartedness, and even us homosapiens occasionally need to do our part. Especially when it involves something we probably screwed up in the first place.

Last edited:

Buyetyen

Elite Member
May 11, 2020
Country
USA
Especially when it involves something we probably screwed up in the first place.
I think that's at the center of why so many people won't even acknowledge the problem. None of them want to admit to having been complicit or complacent.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
I think that's at the center of why so many people won't even acknowledge the problem. None of them want to admit to having been complicit or complacent.
That and all the people who feel it's "god punishing us sinners" so they doubly don't even try and do anything to stop the problems, because they try and redirect the problem to moral character and sinning, and not idiots doing stupid shit. It's really easy to shrug off taking any steps to try and fix bad behavior, if you think all you have to really do is get good with geezus, and you'll be swept away from all of this sinful world into an afterlife. Who are they to question god's plan after all right? This is his punishment for all the sinning we're doing, to try and fix it, would be to defy god's plan.

Now I know not everyone thinks that way, but a depressingly large number do, and they're eager for it. They can't WAIT for the shit to go south, because they think they're on the spiritually winning side in all of it, and they'll get to smugly look down on all the people left behind. I actually had a client in my waiting room, a few months ago, say basically that, and then start singing a fucking gospel song about how HE's coming, and the other people in the waiting room were all like "wow, amen" and I'm just sitting them wanting to scream.

Agema

You have no authority here, Jackie Weaver
Legacy
Mar 3, 2009
Here was I thinking this might be another thread about the Trump clan.

Last edited:
Reactions: Buyetyen

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia

Aaand of course it had to be followed by an outcry; from across the country in some cases.

The state Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission has tried for years to cope with the influx. Among other strategies, it has told homeowners to shoot the iguanas on sight and invited amateur hunters to compete for prizes in a python roundup. Then late last month, commissioners took more extreme action, deciding 7 to 0 to ban possession and breeding of both those reptiles and 14 other nonnative species.

“We have to put our foot down,” said chairman Rodney Barreto, a Miami developer recently criticized for his role in a Palm Beach dredge-and-fill project. “The time has come to take a bold stand against these real threats to our environment.”

The vote came at the conclusion of a four-hour online public hearing. More than 80 people had called in, from as far away as Oregon and Maine, many to object. Reptile breeders and dealers argued that the move would gut their industry, while herpetology hobbyists bemoaned the loss of pets they regard as part of their family.

One caller even cried, explaining that she relies on her pythons and iguanas to help her cope with lonely nights and difficult days.

“If you take them away,” she said, “I would be really messed up.”

As passed, the ban will be phased in over three years to give businesses time to get rid of their breeding stock. It does not require a roundup of pets. Their owners can keep them for as long as the animals live, just not replace them.

What’s a Sunshine state to do. It reminds me of the issue a growing number of people seem have with the need to do the “difficult thing”, which in this case happens to be environmental conservation. They fail to understand or even acknowledge the bigger picture, which is many other species being killed off. It’s like emotional maturity stops at a grade school age and they still think all of earth’s creatures can kneel down and sing kumbaya together. Yeah I’d like that too, but nature is the mother of cold-heartedness, and even us homosapiens occasionally need to do our part. Especially when it involves something we probably screwed up in the first place.
Is this an appropriate time to laugh in rabbit and cane toad?