Investigators Politely Ask Black Ops Pirates to Quit

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
Investigators Politely Ask Black Ops Pirates to Quit

Rather than crushing Call of Duty: Black Ops pirates beneath their heels, cybercrime investigators are killing them with kindness.

If you have the mindset of the RIAA or Call of Duty: Black Ops [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/104513-Gene-Simmons-Declares-War-on-Anonymous]. An investigation firm has reportedly been taking it easy on those it finds buying or selling the game early.

A wise old sage that I rescued from behind a locked door in the last floor of a dungeon once told me that you catch more flies with honey, and according to reports this also is the IP Cybercrime investigation firm's current approach with Black Ops pirates. Copies of the game are known [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/104498-Thief-Pilfers-Call-of-Duty-Black-Ops-Leak-Feared] to be in the public's hands already, but SWAT teams aren't exactly bashing down the doors of piracy suspects.

IP Cybercrime investigators told VentureBeat that this doesn't mean there isn't a sense of urgency in dealing with the leak of Black Ops. "We know that a couple of leaks start and then it can spread like crazy," IP Cybercrime's Rob Holmes said. Early Black Ops buyers and sellers can be found fairly easily with records from Xbox Live and through postings on Craigslist or Facebook. Once found, Holmes revealed that his company is primarily just asking pirates to stop, for now.

Investigators have been meeting with Black Ops sellers in coffee shops and most have been giving up their illegal copies of the game without issue. When one pirate was giving IP Cybercrime trouble, the investigators simply called his mother. This is a far cry from getting the FBI involved.

One alleged buyer of an early Black Ops copy confirmed [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OAOPyFJ-5hM] the reports of politeness, in lengthy manner. He says that IP Cybercrime called him on the phone and asked that he not distribute the game. IP Cybercrime then offered to send a courier to pick it up and return it to Activision. The only consequence this buyer evidently faced was the loss of a few hundred dollars due to purchasing the illegal copy.

This method makes sense for a few reasons. For one, the leak of Black Ops doesn't seem to be widespread yet. Secondly, making sure that the copies are returned is probably a lot easier than the pain, and costs, of litigation. Thirdly, the investigators may have just been trying to find the original source, sort of like how lower levels contraband dealers will get off scot-free if they give up their suppliers, and the Black Ops source is in for an eventual smashing. While this is also a form of good PR for Activision in a strange way, it also makes me wonder if pirates will be more likely to download illicit copies in the future if they think they'll only get a stern talking to.

Source: VentureBeat [http://venturebeat.com/2010/10/22/blackgate-kindly-private-investigators-track-down-call-of-duty-black-ops-pirates-exclusive/]

Colonel Alzheimer's

Jan 3, 2010
Yeah, this is also smart because gamers are hardly drug dealers, and most of us will probably just do whatever the hell the authority figure in the room says.

Motiv_

Jun 2, 2009
What made me laugh the hardest is that the stereotype is, Call of Duty is for prepubescent teenagers. So, when one of the buyers wouldn't give his copy up, they called his mom. Priceless.

Good move on your part, BlizzAct.

Bobic

Nov 10, 2009
The investigator is Holmes, no wonder they're all being rounded up so quickly.

Antari

Music Slave
Nov 4, 2009
Maybe someone finally figured something out ... If they keep sueing people and pissing people off, they'll have no customers left. Its a shame they have learned so late in the game ...

Loonerinoes

Apr 9, 2009
Wow. An approach to piracy that actually makes sense and rather than resorting to abstract litigation or going after huge piles of cash, for once they seem to address this in a practical manner.

My hopes are somewhat renewed.

natster43

Jul 10, 2009
That is probably the most hilarious way to deal with pirates. I really hope this works.

AfroTree

Feb 21, 2010
Puddle Jumper said:
Sheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet, they called his mom? THESE GUYS ARE BRUTAL. Don't screw with Activision Blizzard!
just wait till their dad hears about it....

OT;

nice course of action.

it's working too, which is a plus

Aug 25, 2009
It sounds like a nice idea, and it seems to be working for them, but I have a feeling they might just have gotten lucky with the sorts of pirates they've had. If one of the less wholesome pirating groups now hears about this (which they will), the next time there's a leak no amount of firm warnings will help.

Some people only understand force.

Booze Zombie

Dec 8, 2007
Wait, someone in the industry got that consumers are... what's this, reasonable people?!
My goodness!

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
Well at least it's worked, although I don't see why everyone gets so uptight about companies trying to sue people.

Sure, it doesn't work, but they're still thieves that have the potential to cost them a lot of money so you can hardly blame the companies.

Pirates are pathetic.

mocruz1200

Jan 17, 2009
im all for pirating things, but i have patience. ill wait untill it comes out and THEN take it =P in all seriousness, this is a pretty good approach to dealing with the situation. makes activision look good, and you dont have to deal with all the legal hassle having to do it the hard way

PhunkyPhazon

Dec 23, 2009
This is a lot better then ruining someone's life by suing them for millions of dollars that you will never ever see. I highly doubt this method will catch on, but I like it.

Crimsane

Apr 11, 2009
If they're approaching you, that means they already know you're involved and have some proof. They're offering an easy way out that doesn't involve jail or insane fines and lengthy court battles, and you'd be a fool to not take it.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
SlainPwner666 said:
What made me laugh the hardest is that the stereotype is, Call of Duty is for prepubescent teenagers. So, when one of the buyers wouldn't give his copy up, they called his mom. Priceless.

Good move on your part, BlizzAct.
that was pretty awesome.

Also, I think the hardcore approach is really pointless. This might work.

fgdfgdgd

May 9, 2009
[small]cough cough[/small] at least the some industries know how to deal with pirates [small]cough cough[/small]