iPhone Jailbreaker Hacks PS3

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
Its like the old titanic arguement. Nothing is "Unsinkable"

rees263

The Lone Wanderer
Jun 4, 2009
I can't believe how big they were making this on the news today (BBC radio 1). Surely the only people who are interested (ie, people on websites like this) know already?

tmujir955

Oct 12, 2009
health-bar said:
tmujir955 said:
Sony is going to be in deep, deep shit if it turns out they were just restricting us from playing PS2 games.
step 1)get a ps3 console with backwards compatibility
step 2)buy a ps2 game
step 3)play ps2 game

congratulations, you are playing ps2 games on a ps3. just like Sony wanted you to be able to do.

and jesus christ if you break something go to the company that made it and say "i would like to show you how easy it is to break your system, pay me money and i shall improve your product" dont go tell the news.
Dude, calm down.

Sony stopped manufacturing the backwards-compatible model saying it was in order to reduce manufacturing costs.

But was it for other reasons?

http://www.kotaku.com.au/2009/09/ps...-playstation-store-says-allegedly-leaked-doc/

If Sony refused PS2 compatibility for later PS3 models then, as I said, they are in deep, deep shit.

I know the 60gb model exists. It also costs a lot of money. Money that you may have, that I don't.

DazZ.

Elite Member
Jun 4, 2009
DuplicateValue said:
Sev said:
So, yeah, it's been hacked. Congratulations, you just turned the Trey in to a full-fledged computer seeing as you changed almost EVERYTHING. I can do that too you know, buy a Trey and replace everything so that it's a computer that looks like a Trey.
Your computer plays pirated PS2 games, does it?
It's possible.

Madshaw

Jun 18, 2008
well done to the man, and if all he wanted was bragging rights then he should brag away, but piracy=stealing even if its from sony

Jamface said:
So wait, he replaced some of the hardware??? surely its not a ps3 then, rather a ps modded 3.
ps3.2?

DeadlyYellow

Jun 18, 2008
tmujir955 said:
If Sony refused PS2 compatibility for later PS3 models then, as I said, they are in deep, deep shit.

I know the 60gb model exists. It also costs a lot of money. Money that you may have, that I don't.
Yes they are. According to Amazon you could by a new PS3 slim for less money than a used 60GB model. They contained the Emotion engine, the processor of the PS2.

I find software emulation rather finicky when reading from an original disc, so I remain doubtful about its returning quality.

Zer_

Rocket Scientist
Feb 7, 2008
Baby Tea said:
I can totally appreciate the 'because it's there' attitude, but I don't think that's the case here.
'Homebrew' software my ass. What crazy small percentage of people who actually do that will that be?
It's about selfish piracy.
Not entirely, I rather resent the statement here. I have a hacked PSP and I regularly use the homebrew apps including an eBook reader, a Magic Card game, and finally a bunch of other nifty tools including a youtube video player on the PSP.

A hacked PS3 could probably run Windows if you worked at it a bit, already that's a very cool thing. I mean, had I purchased the 1st gen PS3 I`d definitely install Linux on it and play Quake 3 on it just because I can. Doesn't make me a pirate.

I'm genuinely fascinated by the whole doing crazy cool things with electronic devises spiel. There was also someone who agreed to hacking the iPhone but not the PS3, I fail to see the logic here. The PS3 was not built to take on 3rd party (unauthorized) software. They are pretty much preventing something that can genuinely benefit the console sales.

I do dissagree with pirating, and abusing your ability to hack a console to do so, but to me that applies to almost any new piece of technology or software. The software enables you to do something cool or useful can also be mis-used to achieve malicious ends, but I don't let that stop progression.

Jumplion

Mar 10, 2008
Wait, since when was the Playstation 3 every claimed to be "hack-proof"?

But I digress, I'm surprised it took this long though, you'd think it would have been hacked in the first year, and it probably has only this is more public.

AceDiamond

Jul 7, 2008
Jumplion said:
Wait, since when was the Playstation 3 every claimed to be "hack-proof"?

But I digress, I'm surprised it took this long though, you'd think it would have been hacked in the first year, and it probably has only this is more public.
Not to be a prick (I know, too late) but a quick Google search returns numerous hits all using "hack proof" in some sort of context with the PS3. Most of the hits are about this same incident however.

It could be that the console was out for so long and hadn't been hacked like the Wii and 360 had already been for a variety of reasons (low sales, no incentive, Cell processor security?), thus giving it a reputation for being hack-proof. Plus there wasn't really an incentive since people could install Linux on it (pre-Slim, anyway), not that I think Linux is that big a deal, really.

Also this actually isn't the first PS3 hack. This apparently is [http://playstation.about.com/b/2006/11/26/the-worlds-first-ps3-hack-ps3-game-dumping.htm]. Also might explain why you can't put Linux on the Slim though I think the Slim was out by this point.

I hope this isn't really seen as coming down on any "side" in this argument since to be fair I don't think Sony ever out and out said anything about the PS3's security or it being unhackable. Sure they've said some dumb things in the past but I don't think they ever said the thing was invincible.

aDuck

Dec 13, 2009
if the hack lets us play ps2 games on ps3, im getting it. backwards compatability, my ass...

Dogmeat T Dingo

Sep 4, 2008
Sony can't be happy with the news, and is reportedly investigating the matter as you read this.
And?

Just like the iphone, it shouldn't be anyone's business other than the owner's. If you pay money to purchase a console or a phone, you're buying that hardware and you should be allowed to do whatever you want with it. Sure the merchant can have a clause saying the warranty is invalid if you tamper with it, that's their prerogative. But what right do they have to go around telling people what they can and can't do with their legally bought property?

Rayansaki

May 5, 2009
Am I the only one that is still looking at the fact that a hack like this is easily fixed with system update?

Revolutionary

Pub Club Am Broken
May 30, 2009
Xandus117 said:
OMGOMGOMGOMG I love dr hax.
Any way about the artice...........yeah so what.
Seriously! who honestly cares apart from steaming raging pubescent xbox owners (shifty eyes.)

JohnTomorrow

Green Thumbed Gamer
Jan 11, 2010
Well, what can they do? All he's said was that he's done it - apart from voiding his warranty and probably getting his PSN account canceled, there's not much Sony can do. Once you buy a product, its yours to do as you want - if you wanted to set fire to it, so be it. If you wanted to pull it apart and figure out ways to make it play PS2 games, i say give the man the key to his city. He managed to do something Sony didn't wanna do.

And as long as he doesn't profit from the sale of his hack, then...who cares?