iPhone Jailbreaker Hacks PS3

Beltaine

Oct 27, 2008
I knew after the latest big Xbox Live banning wave and the price drop of the PS3 that it wouldn't be long before it finally got hacked.

There's never been a whole lot of demand for it before, but a lot of folks jumped out of the M$ boat and swam to Sony recently.

Cod of War

Jan 13, 2010
Thank You and Go To Hell Mr. Hotz!!

Thank You becuase you proved to the gaming industry once again that piracy is NOT concentrated on the PC and often easier to do on the consoles

Go To Hell because you have royally pissed off developers and publishers by introducing an ENTIRE LIBRARY of games ready to be pirated so that costs skyrocket due to reduced sales and the moronic publisher's force more and more hair tearing DRM

I would have SOLD my hack to SONY instead and help better the console and industry
Unfortunately humanity is not used to lofty ideals

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
I'm one of those rare people who "buys" games. And also uses what he buys for its specific purpose, too.

MurderousToaster

Aug 9, 2008
Trafs said:
TheYellowCellPhone said:
An "unhackable" console is just begging to be hacked.
Yeah, saying something is "un-___-able" is kinda like a challenge.
Like that Unbreakable Phone at CES. Well, it was made of fail (a BBC reporter smashed it off the side of a fishtank twice - I believe most normal phones can withstand that and function - and it broke).

CaptainCrunch

Imp-imation Department
Jul 21, 2008
For white-hat hackers, it's about the freedom to exchange data, not profit. To the esteemed Mr. Hotz, I have only this to say:
<youtube=vPhVJdPi3qs>

ark123

Feb 19, 2009
How come this guy hasn't been hired by one of these bigass companies yet? If I were Sony/Apple/MS, I'd get this dude on my side ASAP.

Orcus The Ultimate

Nov 22, 2009
John Funk said:
iPhone Jailbreaker Hacks PS3

The supposedly hack-proof PS3 has been cracked by one of the original "jailbreakers" of Apple's iPhone.

In this round of the console war, you could argue positives and negatives of the various systems with other fanboys until you were blue in the face, but Sony's PS3 had one decidedly huge advantage over the other systems: It was supposedly unhackable, rendering it effectively immune to piracy. Yes, that's why the Xbox 360, Wii, and PC all had "Most Pirated" Lists [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/97157-Modern-Warfare-2-Was-2009s-Most-Pirated-Game], but the PS3 did not.

That may have changed in one fell swoop: US-based hacker George "Geohot" Hotz told the BBC [http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/8478764.stm] that he had successfully cracked the PS3. The hack, which could enable people to run "homebrew" software or pirated games (including PS2 titles) on the Sony console, took Hotz a paltry five weeks to develop - hardly an eternity, considering that the console has been out for over three years at this point.

"It's supposed to be unhackable - but nothing is unhackable," Hotz told the BBC. "I can now do whatever I want with the system. It's like I've got an awesome new power - I'm just not sure how to wield it."

The hack is largely software-based, but does require hardware modifications - "5% hardware and 95% software," according to Hotz - meaning that any would-be PS3 pirates would need to invalidate the warranty on their console in addition to leaving a physical trace. Presumably, Sony would be able to pull off a Microsoft-esque mass banning [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/96037-Microsoft-Bans-up-to-One-Million-Xbox-Live-Accounts] of modded PS3s from its PSN service, so said pirates will be doing this at their own risk (if it goes public).

That is, if it goes public - Sony can't be happy with the news, and is reportedly investigating the matter as you read this. Still, it's unknown what possible consequences Hotz is facing, as the young hacker first rose to prominence in 2007 after "jailbreaking" the Apple iPhone to make it compatible with any phone network and not just AT&T. If Apple couldn't get him, what can Sony do?

Old news friend... i already made a topic on that, but got less answers lol