iPhone Jailbreaker Hacks PS3

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
iPhone Jailbreaker Hacks PS3

The supposedly hack-proof PS3 has been cracked by one of the original "jailbreakers" of Apple's iPhone.

In this round of the console war, you could argue positives and negatives of the various systems with other fanboys until you were blue in the face, but Sony's PS3 had one decidedly huge advantage over the other systems: It was supposedly unhackable, rendering it effectively immune to piracy. Yes, that's why the Xbox 360, Wii, and PC all had "Most Pirated" Lists [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/97157-Modern-Warfare-2-Was-2009s-Most-Pirated-Game], but the PS3 did not.

That may have changed in one fell swoop: US-based hacker George "Geohot" Hotz told the BBC [http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/8478764.stm] that he had successfully cracked the PS3. The hack, which could enable people to run "homebrew" software or pirated games (including PS2 titles) on the Sony console, took Hotz a paltry five weeks to develop - hardly an eternity, considering that the console has been out for over three years at this point.

"It's supposed to be unhackable - but nothing is unhackable," Hotz told the BBC. "I can now do whatever I want with the system. It's like I've got an awesome new power - I'm just not sure how to wield it."

The hack is largely software-based, but does require hardware modifications - "5% hardware and 95% software," according to Hotz - meaning that any would-be PS3 pirates would need to invalidate the warranty on their console in addition to leaving a physical trace. Presumably, Sony would be able to pull off a Microsoft-esque mass banning [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/96037-Microsoft-Bans-up-to-One-Million-Xbox-Live-Accounts] of modded PS3s from its PSN service, so said pirates will be doing this at their own risk (if it goes public).

That is, if it goes public - Sony can't be happy with the news, and is reportedly investigating the matter as you read this. Still, it's unknown what possible consequences Hotz is facing, as the young hacker first rose to prominence in 2007 after "jailbreaking" the Apple iPhone to make it compatible with any phone network and not just AT&T. If Apple couldn't get him, what can Sony do?

Cherry Cola

Your daddy, your Rock'n'Rolla
Jun 26, 2009
Don't forget that the playstation 3 only does everything.

Including exploding in its enemies faces!

Premonition

Jan 25, 2010
So, yeah, it's been hacked. Congratulations, you just turned the Trey in to a full-fledged computer seeing as you changed almost EVERYTHING. I can do that too you know, buy a Trey and replace everything so that it's a computer that looks like a Trey.

thenumberthirteen

Unlucky for some
Dec 19, 2007
While I applaud the drive, and talent of these guys. I hate hackers. It spoils it for the rest of us. It's not like the iPhone where people didn't want to be tied into one carrier.

I hope Sony sends Kratos round to his house.

AkJay

Feb 22, 2009
[http://img683.imageshack.us/i/539pxgeorgehotz.jpg/]

He is a God among men.

Julianking93

May 16, 2009
John Funk said:
Julianking93 said:
How many times is this story going to be posted?
Only once as far as the News is concerned.
In the news section, yes its only been posted once, but Hardcore Gamer and Cartzo have both posted it in the last 24 hours.

Still a good article :D

Vigilantis

Jan 14, 2010
Thats nice but being that the Ps3 aren't nearly as cheap to find as a used Xbox I don't think I'll be experimenting on my baby. On the other hand sounds good until Sony decides to manufacture PS3s with C4 attached to the warranty sticker. ^_^

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Julianking93 said:
John Funk said:
Julianking93 said:
In the news section, yes its only been posted once, but Hardcore Gamer and Cartzo have both posted it in the last 24 hours.

News posts =/= forum posts. I've been over this like twenty times now. :p

Baby Tea

Just Ask Frankie
Sep 18, 2008
I can totally appreciate the 'because it's there' attitude, but I don't think that's the case here.
'Homebrew' software my ass. What crazy small percentage of people who actually do that will that be?
It's about selfish piracy.

CloggedDonkey

Nov 4, 2009
and in this corner THE XBOX360.

anyway, I think Sony where just asking for it. it's like telling a 5 year old(played by the internet in this play) to not eat a cookie(played by haxoring). but, hay, I don't own a PS3 and don't plan to get one soon, so what do I know.

Trafs

Oct 14, 2009
TheYellowCellPhone said:
An "unhackable" console is just begging to be hacked.
Yeah, saying something is "un-___-able" is kinda like a challenge.

Rednog

Nov 3, 2008
John Funk said:
Julianking93 said:
John Funk said:
Julianking93 said:

News posts =/= forum posts. I've been over this like twenty times now. :p
Especially since the guy has 7k posts...you think it would be evident by now, maybe you should start giving out badges for people who are clueless.

Dody16

Jan 24, 2008
Well, I guess we can say that at least it lasted this long.
I agree with thenumberthirteen. I respect hackers in a way. But I hate it when it affects me.
I can see the fun of "braking" a system, and the temptation to abuse it once done so, but I think that would take the value and fun out of it for my self if I were to do so.
Although, technology seems to hate me anyway.