iPod Explodes, Melts Kid's Underwear

Reaperman Wompa

Aug 6, 2008
It's funny, but at the same time they should get a decent amount. If the kid has to go through being set on fire a bit, and all the "So another guy took off your pants" jokes then he deserves at least some compensation. And I thought Apple products were pretty solid, not really failing all that much?

Skrapt

May 6, 2008
AndyFromMonday said:
An Ipod doesn't just explode whitout doing nothing to it. The kid must have fucked something up or opened it up or something.
iPods have been known to explode before and entire batches have had to be recalled as they were at risk of doing so. The fact is any device attempting to store a large amount of energy in a small space is at risk of releasing that energy violently - something which we try to circumvent by releasing the energy at whatever pace the device requires. Simply go onto youtube and search for some exploding batteries, even 1 cell laptop batteries cause a hell of an explosion and it doesn't take much to get them to do so. Even a slight manufacturing fault that could have affected this unit alone buts the entire device at risk.

hopeneverdies

Oct 1, 2008
This happened at my school a few months ago. Halls stunk for a day. And I live just one state south of where this report happened.

Calamity

Aug 22, 2008
and the employees of the Apple Store where they bought the iPod for gross negligence and recklessness, claiming that they should have warned them about the possibility of the iPod exploding and melting underwear.
Best line of the whole article.
"Oh I"m required by law to warn you that the I-pod you're purchasing has been known to burn holes in peoples undergarments"

asinann

Apr 28, 2008
Mommy isn't too bright, just by it having happened in his pants they could have gotten WAY more money, this won't even pay for the skin grafts or the counceling.

And the store really should be removed as a defendant, it's not their fault that manufacturing defects happened.

orangebandguy

Elite Member
Jan 9, 2009
Hilairious. That's lightened up my foul mood immensely, as my friend would say: " it's a conspiracy theory!"

Dogstile

Jan 17, 2009
Gormourn said:
Brotherofwill said:
Mental trauma that will stay for the rest of his life?

Again my theory of kids being pussies nowadays continues, back in the day that would have made for an awesome playground story.

Good thing that wasn't a Nokia N-gage, that beast would have ripped half his leg off
Dude. Seriously. If this would happen to you, wouldn't YOU want to get free shit from the company when they are getting sued? Just mental trauma would probably give you a few thousand, or a few hundred thousand bucks.

And you could act like it just to keep up the lie sometimes =P
I bet their lawyer advised it. Hell, I'd do it if that happened to me, free money is free.
course not, hell, i would go buy another ipod

new_age_reject

Lives in dactylic hexameter.
Dec 28, 2008
Gormourn said:
Brotherofwill said:
Mental trauma that will stay for the rest of his life?

Again my theory of kids being pussies nowadays continues, back in the day that would have made for an awesome playground story.

Good thing that wasn't a Nokia N-gage, that beast would have ripped half his leg off
Dude. Seriously. If this would happen to you, wouldn't YOU want to get free shit from the company when they are getting sued? Just mental trauma would probably give you a few thousand, or a few hundred thousand bucks.

And you could act like it just to keep up the lie sometimes =P
I bet their lawyer advised it. Hell, I'd do it if that happened to me, free money is free.
Yes but that is called being a greedy asshole, although the company does have more than enough money :p
However, this is definitely a just law suit, the product malfunctioned and damaged the kid so they have a right to sue.
Good on them.