iPod Explodes, Melts Kid's Underwear

-Orgasmatron-

Nov 3, 2008
Eric the Orange said:
"they should have warned them about the possibility of the iPod exploding and melting underwear", wow k, thats pretty specific, I guess they could sell a short books worth of "possible" occurances. Like for example, "do not eat your iPod, doing so may cause choking".
That's pretty much the world these days, if you're willing to act like an idiot you can get so much free money. Like them people who put their pets in the microwave then sue the company because there was no label on the microwave telling them not to.

new_age_reject

Lives in dactylic hexameter.
Dec 28, 2008
Gormourn said:
new_age_reject said:
Yes but that is called being a greedy asshole, although the company does have more than enough money :p
However, this is definitely a just law suit, the product malfunctioned and damaged the kid so they have a right to sue.
Good on them.
Hey, would you like to be a POOR greedy asshole or a RICH greedy asshole? -_-
They are just big and sort of faceless corporations, and anyways, they have enough money. Hell, even if they keeled over and died, which is extremely unlikely, and I mean like, ever, I'd be only happy that there are no more "I-' named products.
Admitedly you are right though, these big corporations have more than enough money to their name and could do with a few knocks from the common man.
I also dislike Ipod so I don't have a problem with giving these guys a little kick to the sac.

MarsProbe

Circuitboard Seahorse
Dec 13, 2008
Yes, as is it's extremely likely that an iPod will just "suddenly" explode.

As for the trauma "suffered" be the little guy, he needs to grow a backbone. A number of years back, a friend of mine suffered serious burns to both his legs after an unfortunate accident with an electric wallpaper steamer.

I don't see this kid needing to spend a period of time in hospital, or get any skin grafts. Just put some cream on the burn, and he'll be right as rain in the morning. Oh, and the lawsuit will fail, hopefully.

Also, this:

"He continues to suffer from both physical and mental conditions which will cause him to suffer pain, mental distress, emotional distress, and otherwise for the rest of his life,"
Really? How long are they giving this kid to live? A few months? Otherwise, I'm sure he'll get over it eventually.

Emperor Inferno

Jun 5, 2008
I'm sorry, I haven't read any of the posts, but I just had to add this. I saw the title of this thread and literally laughed out loud.

I know, I'm evil.

Jan 29, 2009
People have trouble knowing when an accident is an accident. Gross negligence?!?! It was a manufacturing Snafu, not a genocidal rampage of kamikaze electronics! It is hard to guess that a tiny error will explode an iPod, and emotional trauma is just another way to get more money without any concrete proof! I'd just ask for a free computer (Fully decked out of course) and call it a day. This is like suing a lemonade stand because a manufacturing error in the cups mixed with the citric acid to create a loud noise! (OH NO THE EMOTIONAL TRAUMA)

Shadedblade

Mar 15, 2009
OH NOES!!! You just know that Stephen Colbert's going to do a segment about this now!
"Ipod explodes and burns through kid's underwear!" "I called it!!!!!! *woot*"

SmugFrog

Ribbit
Sep 4, 2008
It seems to me like a reasonable amount they're asking for - instead of millions. They could probably reach a settlement.

I always laugh about the whole "lifetime of emotional damage" type stuff. So much stuff like this happened to us older people, and we just chalked it up to life experience and went on with our lives.

I have a hard time believing the ipod didn't have some type of preexisting damage to it.

Epic_Rocker

Mar 15, 2009
Heh.. It's kinda funny, although that would suck... Alot. The kid's not too bright. xP You're not supposed to put a touch in that pocket, because it can overheat and explode. I just put it in mah sweater/jacket/hoodie pocket and it's fine.

Brett Alex

Jul 22, 2008
Keane Ng said:
Some of you guys are taking this more seriously than I thought you would. You're all fine upstanding citizens!
Can I lower your expectations?

iPod Touch bombs said:
A man was arrested in Orlando, Florida after a failed bank heist using an iPod Touch.

Bill Door, (34), an Orlando local, allegedly walked into the foyer of the bank shouting "Everybody be cool this is a iRobbery! If anyone one of you f---ing pigs move I'll cause severe emotional and physical distress every last one of you!" threatening bank tellers and customers alike with a bulge in his pocket that was believed to be an iPod Touch. However, as the criminal made his move, the device exploded, setting his pants on fire and causing him "severe emotional and physical distress".

The attempted iTheft comes in the wake of a similar series of crimes perpetrated with use of the volatile handheld music device. Last week in New York alone, 27 corner stores were held up by what are now being dubbed "iCriminals", who use the music players inclination to self-combust as a means to intimidate cashiers into handing over money.

There is also the case of British Airways Flight 418, which was iGrounded after an anonymous source warned authorities of the presence of highly explosive material on aircraft. Soldiers from the iSAS stormed the plane, and luckily a lone iPod touch was discovered in the cargo hold and iDefused moments before detonation. Despite the crisis being averted, airport security services worldwide are upgrading their safety procedures to screen for Apple Products.

Having harmed no one, it is unlikely Mr. Door will face a harsh sentence. "However," says Agent Rackerman of the newly established FBI iCrimes department, "He was playing Nickelback off the iPods in built-speakers at the time of the explosion, so he may face prison time on that basis alone.

Report compiled by iHave to much time

Arkfeller

Nov 14, 2007
Maybe the melting underwear warning should be pasted onto EVERY battery that gets made, because ALL (or a good majority) of them have the potential to explode and melt whatever you were wearing at the time.

But it's a good thing the thing didn't explode in, say, a chest pocket.

Copter400

Sep 14, 2007
Kogarian said:
How does an iPod Touch explode?
That, I think, is the major thing we need to sort out here. If the iPod Touch did indeed explode in the manner the woman describes, then that's a pretty big problem. A really big problem.

Like, you can make the 360 so that the first few hundred thousand units you sell brick at some point, but making a small piece of hardware explode? What the fuck?

FallenRainbows

Feb 22, 2009
Armitage Shanks said:
Keane Ng said:
Some of you guys are taking this more seriously than I thought you would. You're all fine upstanding citizens!
Can I lower your expectations?

iPod Touch bombs said:
A man was arrested in Orlando, Florida after a failed bank heist using an iPod Touch.

Bill Door, (34), an Orlando local, allegedly walked into the foyer of the bank shouting "Everybody be cool this is a iRobbery! If anyone one of you f---ing pigs move I'll cause severe emotional and physical distress every last one of you!" threatening bank tellers and customers alike with a bulge in his pocket that was believed to be an iPod Touch. However, as the criminal made his move, the device exploded, setting his pants on fire and causing him "severe emotional and physical distress".

The attempted iTheft comes in the wake of a similar series of crimes perpetrated with use of the volatile handheld music device. Last week in New York alone, 27 corner stores were held up by what are now being dubbed "iCriminals", who use the music players inclination to self-combust as a means to intimidate cashiers into handing over money.

There is also the case of British Airways Flight 418, which was iGrounded after an anonymous source warned authorities of the presence of highly explosive material on aircraft. Soldiers from the iSAS stormed the plane, and luckily a lone iPod touch was discovered in the cargo hold and iDefused moments before detonation. Despite the crisis being averted, airport security services worldwide are upgrading their safety procedures to screen for Apple Products.

Having harmed no one, it is unlikely Mr. Door will face a harsh sentence. "However," says Agent Rackerman of the newly established FBI iCrimes department, "He was playing Nickelback off the iPods in built-speakers at the time of the explosion, so he may face prison time on that basis alone.

Report compiled by iHave to much time
That's brilliant that is, Maybe the Ipod was from... Yeh, the market, and the battery was probably a stick of uranium.

Voltano

Dec 11, 2008
sooperman said:
Keane Ng said:
iPod Touch owners, be sure you've got a fire extinguisher handy at all times when you've got your hardware in your pocket. You never know when it might explode.
Yes I do. Never. I own an iPod Touch, and I am more than confident that it will not explode at random in my pocket. This kid was doing something weird with it; mabybe it was an app, maybe he got it hot, maybe he did something to the hardrive.
Did you know that if you leave a PSP in the sun for too long, it will explode like a hand grenade? Same thing happened here. This kid found the thing that will make an iPod Touch explode. By accident, I'm sure, but he did.

I just know.
Myth busters did an episode where jaw breakers left in the sun can lethally explode their contents to possibly mimic napalm. We tend to forget that while the product was made by some company, the product ends up in the hands of some consumer that is probably going to do something it wasn't designed for, which could lead to hazardous results.

ironmace2.0

The Names Hans Olo
Mar 15, 2009
when I saw the title I laughed but the actual storys a bit sad but the sue is a bit extreme I mean 75,000! but mabye him and his mum are terroists and they blew up is ipod touch so they could sue them to buy thousonds of iphones with twice the destructive capability because of the exploding cell phone! and your right im insane

Nick2121

Jan 6, 2009
This story just works with my whole "iPods suck, iTunes suck, and most other things made by apple suck [with a few exceptions]" attitude.

johnman

Oct 14, 2008
only $75,000? just the other day that guy wanted a million for an airline for losing his x-box.
ironmace1 said:
when I saw the title I laughed but the actual storys a bit sad but the sue is a bit extreme I mean 75,000! but mabye him and his mum are terroists and they blew up is ipod touch so they could sue them to buy thousonds of iphones with twice the destructive capability because of the exploding cell phone! and your right im insane