iPod Explodes, Melts Kid's Underwear

SenseOfTumour

Jul 11, 2008
Keane Ng said:
An Ohio mother...

The mom is suing Apple and the employees of the Apple Store where they bought the iPod for gross negligence and recklessness, claiming that they should have warned them about the possibility of the iPod exploding and melting underwear. They're asking for at least $75,000 in compensation plus another 75 grand for punitive damages and fees.

One of my BIG bugbears this, suing the staff of the store?

People, when done wrong by a company, quit finding the first guy on the store floor and blaming him, for one , it wasn't his fault, and for two, there's WAY more cash and satisfaction to be had aiming higher.

When I was working in a store, it just got on my tits, the whole 'this is broken, how dare you deliberately sell me broken stuff' thing. We didn't , you just got unlucky, if you want to sue go ahead, but leave the little guy out of it. 75,000 is unnoticable to Apple, but it's lifebreaking to regular joe who just wants to do his job and take home a pretty average check each month. I guess I just don't trust judges to make a sensible decision is all.

Nimbus

Token Irish Guy
Oct 22, 2008
Doug said:
Indeed. Although I don't think she's been melodramatic - after all, the mobile phone set fire to her son! Its not like he strapped himself and she's reacting like this. He could easily have been killed. And to that, the kid's probably not going to trust technology again, or at least, not easily. And in this modern world, thats a big handy cap.
True, but unless it can be proved to be Apples fault, it really should just be chalked up as an unfortuante accident. I mean, really, this whole "Sue every time anything happens to me" attitude has got to stop.

mike1921

Oct 17, 2008
And to that, the kid's probably not going to trust technology again, or at least, not easily. And in this modern world, thats a big handy cap.
Than this kid is an idiot. I'm 13 and would never stop trusting technolagy because one appliance blew up. Don't say "you wouldn't be this logical if it happened to you" I had cancer and still think it's retarded to avoid everything someone says may cause cancer and am pretty sure I wouldn't avoid whatever caused my cancer if I knew what it was.

Either this kid is so sensitive I don't think he should be sueing for mental trauma period (it's like a mentally unstable person sueing you because your dog gave him suicidal thoughts and than the dog bit him. Sure he could sue for the dog biting him but having you accomadate for this person's mental unstability is ridiculous) or he's not traumatized.

I'm fine with everything but the claims of mental trauma and sueing the wrong people. they should be sueing apple not that one store.

Doug

Apr 23, 2008
Nimbus said:
Doug said:
Indeed. Although I don't think she's been melodramatic - after all, the mobile phone set fire to her son! Its not like he strapped himself and she's reacting like this. He could easily have been killed. And to that, the kid's probably not going to trust technology again, or at least, not easily. And in this modern world, thats a big handy cap.
True, but unless it can be proved to be Apples fault, it really should just be chalked up as an unfortuante accident. I mean, really, this whole "Sue every time anything happens to me" attitude has got to stop.
Well, Apple sold it was a product that was safe to use. I'm not sure what American law is like, but over here, there is the basic 'Fit for purpose' law - so, under that, unless the kid was tinkering around with the insides of it before it exploded, it is there fault for releasing a dangerous faulty product.

And again, it set fire to her son - its not like the case of "A bee stung me on your property, I shall SUE!"

Feb 13, 2008
Gormourn said:
... took off his burning pants with the assistance of a friend

[/insert gay joke]

What's with all the exploding Ipods, cellphones and everything? Meh, at least it's amusing.
If you didn't catch the update, the "cellphone" was actually a home-made gun.

Psypherus

Feb 11, 2009
I laughed out loud.. really hard upon reading this. Maybe it's 'cause I'm a bit drunk right now but I'm pretty sure it's still funny

nova18

Feb 2, 2009
Ago Iterum said:
Is... Is this funny? I'm not sure.

I want to laugh because it's another hilarious lawsuit.

But kid got scarrrrr'd.
I laughed if it makes you feel better.
And for once I can understand a lawsuit if a company sells you something that explodes, possibly rendering you incapable of "doing it" ever again. Maybe not for the money they are asking for but the kid does deserve some kind of compensation...

Maybe another iPod touch lol.

mike1921

Oct 17, 2008
MaxTheReaper said:
Man, I can sort of understand how he could be scarred, both literally and otherwise. I mean, something exploded next to his manly bits. Not cool.
Doesn't sound bad enough for mental trauma to me.

SilentHunter7

Nov 21, 2007
Keane Ng said:
And what of the friend who had to take his pants off? There's gotta be some psychological fallout there - that friendship's never going to be the same.
I doubt that their friendship will be anything but stronger because of it. That's the kind of inside story you talk about about over beers when you're 40.

Still, Apple should be liable for any medical costs, including any cosmetic surgery that might be needed to get rid of any burn marks that may be present, and they should refund 100% of the cost of the phone, as well as the cost of the plan they were on. I also think they should have to pay for a brand new phone plan the family decided to get, regardless of the provider.

I'm skeptical about the whole punitive damages for psychological disorders part, however. How old is this kid? If he has an iPhone, I'm guessing older than 16. I know if my phone exploded in my pocket, and I was around that age, I'd be fucking pissed, but I wouldn't be flinching at the sight of a touch-screen phone. Maybe if he was 15 or under. Maybe. But then, what parent would get a kid that young a phone like that anyway?

Even then, wouldn't him developing an aversion to Apple products be a good thing? ;P

And what's this crap about suing the employees? When the employee is on the clock, they represent the company, and unless they put C4 in the kid's phone, I don't see how they're liable. Especially if they weren't informed or instructed to warn of a possible threat of burns. Though she's probably using the common tactic of naming everyone possible as defendants before the investigation, and seeing what sticks.

JRCB

Jan 11, 2009
While we're at it, why doesn't the mother just blame the person who bought the iPod for the boy in the first place?

Doug

Apr 23, 2008
JRCB said:
While we're at it, why doesn't the mother just blame the person who bought the iPod for the boy in the first place.
I doubt anyone would have predicted that a mobile phone would literally set fire to clothing given thats a pretty serious lapse of health and safety for a commerical product.

Although I agree with you about the store - thats just daft.

SilentHunter7

Nov 21, 2007
JRCB said:
While we're at it, why doesn't the mother just blame the person who bought the iPod for the boy in the first place. And I thought iPods were not allowed for use in school..... so it's the boy's fault then? I don't understand lawsuits.
No, it's totally Apple's fault, because their product fucking exploded, and the family is totally within their right to make Apple pay for medical costs, and lost time. This isn't a case where a retard spills coffee on themselves and sues for a million in punitive damages for assuming their customers had common sense.

Doug

Apr 23, 2008
SilentHunter7 said:
JRCB said:
While we're at it, why doesn't the mother just blame the person who bought the iPod for the boy in the first place. And I thought iPods were not allowed for use in school..... so it's the boy's fault then? I don't understand lawsuits.
No, it's totally Apple's fault, because their product fucking exploded, and the family is totally within their right to make Apple pay for medical costs, and lost time. This isn't a case where a retard spills coffee on themselves and sues for a million in punitive damages for assuming their customers had common sense.
QFT

Samurai Goomba

Oct 7, 2008
What was happening in his pants that caused his iPod to explode?

I don't get it-things don't just spontaneously combust, do they?

I think this whole thing is a bit silly, though. Sure, it's a terrible accident and all... I guess... But do they really need that much money? He got burned and had to take off his pants. Odds are that a lot of people in life have had much worse happen to them without feeling the need to sue for piles of cash. Whatever, though, this is America. America, land of the Free-to-sue-other-people-for-money-that-you-don't-deserve.

Sure, the product was defective and maybe they need SOME money, but I think they're asking for a bit too much.