iPod Explodes, Melts Kid's Underwear

Vern

Sep 19, 2008
If this happened to me I would just say "Holy shit, my ipod exploded and it gave me a cool scar". I wouldn't think of bringing a lawsuit against them. Shit happens, they can't guarantee every single product they make is 100% safe. Hell, you can choke on a carrot, should we sue carrot farmers? America's litigious society is killing it. Someone makes a product where one in 100 million fail? That's a lawsuit right there. It happens, I've been electrocuted by faulty products and I haven't sued. It just means that you might want to be more careful about which products you buy. Grow up and stop feeling like the world owes you something the minute something goes wrong.

Delicious

Jan 22, 2009
I would rather not have expensive electronic devices explode inside of my clothing thank you very much.

Oh who am I kidding that would be awesome.

Maileigh

Mar 14, 2009
hungoverbear said:
ipod touch Stats:
animals killed 0
side quests completed 0
items stolen 10
pants exploded 1
Oh man, you just made me spit tea all over my monitor. lol

But all joking aside, that may have been some kind of crossed-wire fluke or something.
But then again, a friend of mine was electrocuted by her iPod a number of years back. (notice that this was one of the older iPod models and the shock wasn't life-threatening) She recalled screaming and ripping the ear buds from her ears before flinging the iPod onto the couch.

Coincidence? Random occurrence? Hmmmm...

Samurai Goomba

Oct 7, 2008
Maileigh said:
hungoverbear said:
ipod touch Stats:
animals killed 0
side quests completed 0
items stolen 10
pants exploded 1
Oh man, you just made me spit tea all over my monitor. lol

But all joking aside, that may have been some kind of crossed-wire fluke or something.
But then again, a friend of mine was electrocuted by her iPod a number of years back. (notice that this was one of the older iPod models and the shock wasn't life-threatening) She recalled screaming and ripping the ear buds from her ears before flinging the iPod onto the couch.

Coincidence? Random occurrence? Hmmmm...
Accident or evil plot by Apple to destroy mankind?

I want to believe.

Maybe the Ipod senses whether you're a Windows or Mac user. I better watch out.

mike1921

Oct 17, 2008
Vern said:
If this happened to me I would just say "Holy shit, my ipod exploded and it gave me a cool scar". I wouldn't think of bringing a lawsuit against them. Shit happens, they can't guarantee every single product they make is 100% safe. Hell, you can choke on a carrot, should we sue carrot farmers? America's litigious society is killing it. Someone makes a product where one in 100 million fail? That's a lawsuit right there. It happens, I've been electrocuted by faulty products and I haven't sued. It just means that you might want to be more careful about which products you buy. Grow up and stop feeling like the world owes you something the minute something goes wrong.
You should sue them when it's their fault. Since when is not wanting compensation for something that is someone else's fault a part of growing up by the way?

Abedeus

Sep 14, 2008
MAAAAA!!! THAT KID HAS AN IPOD IT'S GUNNA AXPLODE!!!!11

*wets pants and vomits*

Okay, I blame all of you for making me write that. I expect 20k for my mental illness, I mean mental scar.

Skeleon

Nov 2, 2007
I totally agree with suing in this case.
Unless the kid did something to the iPod before it exploded, it's clearly Apple's fault if that thing suddenly blows up. They have a little department called Quality Assurance that obviously didn't do its job properly. And 150K ain't THAT much for American standards, is it?

BTW, yeah, air (oxygen, that is) can cause cancer, because of the free radicals that are created during cell respiration and interact with your DNA, causing premature aging and, possibly, cancer. However, that'll only happen if your cells' repair-mechanisms are faulty.

Drednought1

Sep 3, 2008
well, this is the first time ive ever heard of an exploding ipod, go figure.
still cant help laughing at the kid, and the stupidly steep amount that they are after.

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
Kogarian said:
How does an iPod Touch explode?
The battery. There's lots of ways to make a battery explode, the easiest ways are to short circuit them, over charge or over heat them.
My guess would be the circuitry in the iPod wasn't quite right and it shorted the battery, or the battery had a manufacturing fault and started leaking.

Anywase, a justified lawsuit for once!

In fact, I can't think of a much better reason to sue than a phone setting fire to you.

Ryuzix

Jan 21, 2009
I remember last year a PSP blew up in a kids pocket(Heard it on the net news). The game inserted was Burnout, I'm not kidding!

AndyFromMonday

Feb 5, 2009
An Ipod doesn't just explode whitout doing nothing to it. The kid must have fucked something up or opened it up or something.

fuckwit

Jan 4, 2009
I've had my Touch for about 1-and-a-half-year or so now and it has never exploded. It has crashed, more frequently now than ever, it has gotten very hot when I charge it, but it has never exploded.

Doug

Apr 23, 2008
Samurai Goomba said:
What was happening in his pants that caused his iPod to explode?

I don't get it-things don't just spontaneously combust, do they?

I think this whole thing is a bit silly, though. Sure, it's a terrible accident and all... I guess... But do they really need that much money? He got burned and had to take off his pants. Odds are that a lot of people in life have had much worse happen to them without feeling the need to sue for piles of cash. Whatever, though, this is America. America, land of the Free-to-sue-other-people-for-money-that-you-don't-deserve.

Sure, the product was defective and maybe they need SOME money, but I think they're asking for a bit too much.
He apparently, its a second degree burn - pretty nasty looking on wikipedia [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Burn_(injury)] although I don't think its live threatening persay, its certainly a major injury.

And yeah, things do explode - never hear of those laptops with fault batteries that could burst into flames?

Eruanno

Captain Hammer
Aug 14, 2008
I know it's kind of rude to laugh, but something exploding in someone's pants is kind of hilarious. Sorry.
Mind if I just smile a little... no? Just... maybe... oh. Okay.

scotth266

Wait when did I get a sub
Jan 10, 2009
Well, at least she didn't try and sue for millions...
I think that this is actually reasonable, as "emotional trauma" is tacked onto everything these days anyway.
But yeah, she shouldn't go after the store, just the manufacturer.

GyroCaptain

Jan 7, 2008
In response, Apple's lawyers claimed that this was a "design feature" and that their commercials depict iPods in the hands of and on the outside clothing of black silhouettes for this reason. "Imagine someone's attacking you. You can just throw your iPod at them to get away" said Apple lawyer Per Fruhtsson. "Of course, to use this feature correctly requires an activation cable, available from Apple for a low $24.99. The disabling clip is $16.49".

No mention as to whether spandex set off the iPod's fashion sensing chip, although Fruhtsson described the melted underwear as "kinky, if you're into that". Whether or not the figures in Apple commercials are black due to wearing Nomex flame-retardant has not been confirmed.