IPs you'd love to see turned into MMOs.

VanQ

Casual Plebeian
Oct 23, 2009
I love MMOs. I love old school grind. I love taking on someone only to have them steamroll me because they were 20 levels higher than me. I love exploring entire worlds ripe for discovery. I'd like to see more MMOs that are less of a theme park and more of a sandbox. I was thinking all these things recently and was thinking about what IPs would make good MMOs.

I personally think Magic: The Gathering would make a wonderful MMO. It has some decent lore, a near endless amount of inspiration to draw from and a bunch of great characters they could use. I'd love to see what kind of world they could shape to fit them.
I'd also love to see an MMO like Sword Art Online. SAO because of its unique world, a 100 level steel castle in the sky, with fields and mountains and labyrinths where you can grind to no end. The Full Dive technology is probably a dream that I won't see in my lifetime, but I'd still love to explore Aincrad first hand.

So my question to you is, what IPs would you love to see turned into an MMO and why?

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
None. Im the kind of a person that likes its singleplayer and multiplayer games seperate. I will not play a multipalyer of singleplayer games i play and vice versa. i also only play multiplayer games that are designed to first of all be multiplayer games, most of thme having no singleplayer at all. whether they are MMOs or not has been discussed back and forth, some consider something like WOT a MMO, others claim that if WOT is a MMO then so is COD, so i wont call them MMOs yet, but they are multiplayer designed games.
As for my singleplayer IPs i want them to stay Singleplayer and those singleplayer games i buy that has multiplayer is basically me buying a game half of which i will never use. I am also yet to see a sucesfull singleplayer-to-MMO conversion to begin, so theres high chance of ruining a franchise anyway.

So, thanks but no thanks.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
Mirror's Edge: The MMO has the potential to be the best thing ever made by humans.

On the other hand, it also has the potential to be the worst thing ever made by humans. :/

Strazdas said:
I am also yet to see a sucesfull singleplayer-to-MMO conversion to begin, so theres high chance of ruining a franchise anyway.
Myst --> Myst Online: Uru Live.

GigaHz

Jul 5, 2011
Considering MMOs have been relatively stagnant in the innovation department for well over a decade, I'd answer none.

Now, if the scenario were reversed (which MMO's would you like to see turned into single/multiplayer games) I'd love to see a traditional RTS Warcraft again.

iFail69

Nov 17, 2009
I'd love to see a successful cyberpunk MMO as I would love to RP in one with other people.

However, in terms of game-play, I prefer single player RPGs. I have strong opinions and preferences when it comes to on-line gaming.

Aris Khandr

Oct 6, 2010
There is really only one correct answer to this question.

Just imagine the possibilities.

GigaHz said:
Now, if the scenario were reversed (which MMO's would you like to see turned into single/multiplayer games) I'd love to see a traditional RTS Warcraft again.
City of Heroes. They had a great system going, then it just died. I'd love to see it survive as a single player game.

BloatedGuppy

Feb 3, 2010
I can think of a couple IP's that would lend themselves well to the old MMO treatment. Naturally that does not mean "WoW clone", automatically, just a massively multi-player experience.

Shadowrun has the setting, a nice spread of races and classes, and a well established set of game rules. You'd want to see something heavily focused on procedurally generated missions (or runs, as it were) for 1-6 people. Getting those to be interesting and varied without feeling too "Ye Olde Mission Generator" would be the biggest hurdle to clear. On PvP servers you could run up against rival teams while doing missions.

Harry Potter's universe could also fare well in a MP setting, with each server being a unique instance of Hogwarts (or one of the other wizardly schools), and each player going through the process of joining the school, getting sorted, and engaging in various activities in the forms of well constructed mini-games...from Quidditch matches to romps in the Forbidden Forest. As the long term goal would be eventual graduation, it would be more of a casual/social MMO as opposed to the class loot/level grind.

Mass Effect and/or Starcraft would lend themselves nicely to a Battlefield style 60-100 player shooter. Jump into a Colossus or a Siege Tank! Control a pack of zerglings! Or take to the field as your favorite Mass Effect race in the midst of some kind of galactic civil war. Geth! Krogan! Asari! Lots of possibilities there. Either setting would nicely spice up the tired old 21st century military man-shoots that dominate the genre.

Tom_green_day

Jan 5, 2013
Monster Hunter. I know they tried with some of the online sections in later games (and with Frontier in Asia only) but it kinda fell apart. I hear they're making another one, but it's also in Asia only so why not just update Frontier?

iwinatlife

Aug 21, 2008
I think Wheel of Time has the Potential for an amazing Sandbox MMO as does the Lightbringer series but I would be terrified if either was being made because inevitably it wouldnt be as good as I want it to be

Aramis Night

Mar 31, 2013
The Rift's Ip from Palladium Books, I would love to see made into an mmo. Sadly Trion killed any chance of that happening when they decided to change the name of their game from Heroes of Telara to Rift which led to a lawsuit where they forced Palladium to either give up the right to the name of their IP or go bankrupt trying to fight them for it in court, even though legally they were in the right. For this reason I despise Trion and refuse to play anything they have a hand in.

Terratina.

RIP Escapist RP Board
May 24, 2012
You know it makes sense. They might as well move on from single-player games that give you the illusion of playing in a MMO to an actual one. And The World seemed like a pretty solid, but basic, one. At least it didn't have hotkey combat. Ugh.

DanielBrown

Dangerzone!
Dec 3, 2010
God of War
Reasons? Because I want a Roman/Greek styled MMO. Age of Conan was quite a huge disappointment. I'm sure some more exist on the market, but I believe I checked this a few years ago and found nothing worth trying.
Bossfights would be awesome and the combat style could be simular to that in TERA or GW2; more action oriented. I prefer the original style of standing still while fighting, but whatever. Fits better with the source material.

The MMO could even progress through the games, like LOTRO does with the books. Dated areas, which could make end game or expansions be after Kratos had fucked up the world completely.
All I really care about is the theme.

TWEWYFan

Mar 22, 2012
My first thought was Pokémon but that's already been mentioned. I'd be curious about a Dot Hack MMO; it always struck me as kind of funny that a series that covered novels, anime, and video games all about an MMO never had one itself. If nothing else it'd have a pretty cool design and atheistic.

NortherWolf

Jun 26, 2008
Earthdawn.
Just, Earthdawn...Cthulhu damn I'd buy that.
But I won't even get an Earthdawn SP game so fuck it I guess.

scorptatious

The Resident Team ICO Fanboy
May 14, 2009
I probably wouldn't mind having a Disgaea MMO.

You can create your own demon or angel and hire vassals to work for you, team up and fight against other players and their vassals, and do quests for the main characters of the games. I.E Perhaps a quest involving finding sardines for Valvatorez? :p

Rob Robson

Feb 21, 2013
Strazdas said:
This. But for different reasons.

MMOs should not exist unless they create their own IP, because every single bad or unsuccessful MMO through all time is based on another well-known movie/story IP (D&D, DC Universe, Star Wars: ToR, Conan, Warhammer etc.) while all the good and/or successful ones (EQ, Ultima, The Secret World, Rift, WoW, Guild Wars, Allods) have their own IP. There are only two exceptions, Lord of the Rings Online (arguably good-ish despite big name license) and Tera. (very very bad)

You know why? (variably, but more often than not)

License costs. License costs are the doom seal of MMO development. That a publisher is willing to pay for a huge license to create a more often than not shallow cookie-cutter game means they above all want to draw in huge amounts of paying customers while sacrificing quality.

Star Wars: ToR and The Secret World have a fairly similar story driven focus, but the prior has a budget four times that of the latter, and TSW still has better writing, more world, stronger systems, more solid servers, better graphics and engine, and lightyears ahead of ToR in cinematics and storyboarding.

Licensed property MMOs can go die in a fire. Unless they are fairly cheap ones, unexpected ones that people still love, like Cthulhu (hope to see it some day) and the upcoming World of Darkness (Vampire: The Masquerade-related)

I've been playing MMOs for 14 years and this is just the way it is. Hell, after paying $80M USD on a license, BioWare even plugged it into the budget quote for marketing reasons to make it look like that wet turd was the biggest thing since the sun.

New IP = Better for everyone.

tzimize

Mar 1, 2010
OP, why the hell would you want ANY franchise turned into an mmo? MMOs are just watered down versions of everything built to leech as much time and money out of you as possible. Not necessarily built to make you have FUN, which is what games are supposed to be about.

I've played a few mmos, mainly WoW, and that only because I'm a massive fan of the universe. But honestly, has the warcraft universe been elevated because I get to collect rabbit feet for the dwarves? No.

I'd MUCH rather take a couple of new RTS games, or that adventure game blizzard scrapped, or a new vikings game, or anything. MMOs are about collecting things and doing the same stuff over and over and over and over again. What the hell kind of universe would benefit from this?